2 Million Biker Ride for 9/11 - In your face, D.C.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

BKP

... Neither is likely to break the "thousands" mark and everybody knows it.
Ya think?
Just the RSVPs from clubs nationally are already putting the numbers in the 10's of thousands... Responses supposedly in from almost all the lower 48... so far... but, we'll see...

DC Police contacted the organizers... they want to help with the route...
Kudos to the DC LEOs --

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

BKP

Here's what Snopes said today:

snopes.com: 2 Millions Bikers to DC

As I said, "ride through" events are almost never granted anywhere. Too disruptive and require too much manpower.

Seems they wanted the route blocked from 9-4, and for all their talk, only thought they'd get 2000 bikes. I suspect the "million muslim" group only expect 1000.
No argument about the ride through event permit... However, it appears the logic behind that is self-defeating, as now they'll do the ride through anyway, and clog every stop sign, traffic light, and intersection...

If, in fact, there are only 2,000 riders (and that number, I have no doubt, was minimized in the hope of a more positive outcome on the application. Additionally, that application was proffered over a month ago, before interest in the event went viral), then that's what it is. At the very least it will more than draw attention away from the *much* lesser numbers of the Muslim march, and a make a much more appropriate statement for the day... And, since you've taken such an interest in the numbers, have you included the support vehicles (cars/trucks), bicycles, and even walkers, that have been invited to join...?

In any event, I support it, I think it's a great idea. I believe the Muslim march, on that date, is an affront, and way out of line. If I had more notice, and the resources, I'd have seen about arrangements to be there.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited:

Cerebus

Seen a bunch of bikes gathering at the Frederick Harley dealership as I rode past this morning. Wish I could join.

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

crobih

Am I the only guy that has to work? How did these guys get days off? Im skeptical about the million bikers number. Are there even a million practicing muslims in usa. The jihadis kind of look like harley riders, minus the suicide vest. Either way that footage of bikes was pretty cool. Im glad to see this.

BKP

Well... different estimates have it between 500,000 and the 880,000 posted on their FB page... D.C. authorities are putting it at between 650k and 800k.

Certainly a tad more than "2,000"... or even "thousands"... or "tens of thousands"... and into the "hundreds of thousands..."

And, from what I can tell, the riders are the ones getting all the publicity, since they've advertised, and are referencing it as a show of respect for 9/11, as opposed to a response to something else... I saw one small blurb on that 'other' "sparsely attended" event... who were they again...?

latony007

About as many as there will be overheated "marchers". Which is to say... zero.

This is a great example of a guy with no following trying to pull a publicity stunt and a bunch of idiots on the other side giving him exactly the publicity he wants. He didn't apply to close streets because he knew he wouldn't have gotten the permits either. The bikers DID apply to close streets, because if they had asked for a simple off-street counter-rally they would have gotten the permit and gotten just as much attention, which is to say none at all.

My guess is the AMPAC guy and his 177 Facebook followers are going to have a nice little Kumbaya moment on the mall and in front of the White House, say the Park Police lied about the hundreds of thousands of people who showed up to support them (somehow the Park Police always lie about the numbers if you ask the event organizers), blame the establishment for wrecking their plans and claim a moral victory. The bikers will get somewhere between a few hundred and a couple thousand, also claim that the establishment held them back by not blocking a dedicated route for them across town, and also claim a moral victory. The national news will ignore it completely and the local news will give each side 30 seconds after longer reports about events involving the political big shots as well as the established ones at Arlington National Cemetery and the Pentagon. (Unless there's an actual big story that day, in which case both sides get zero coverage anywhere.)
LOL good points. if its at the numbers you guys are saying that's pretty impressive. I haven't seen anything in the top stories are.

FastFreddy

So when will be the first president that rides motorbikes ? :D One that admits to holding the throttle open, all the way, ohhh ahhh.