1st real ride in the rain... oh boy

S

s4mt3k

I've been avoiding riding in the rain and I've only had to ride once or twice in a drizzle. Well all that changed yesterday. Weather.com officially screwed me and I had to ride about 40 minutes in downpour. Getting wet or not having put rain-x on my helmet was the least of my problems...

Visibility was incredibly poor (really those headlights suck) AND i found out why riders really hate t-snakes (tar snakes) & paint on the pavement... I mean going over one of those especially fat and yellow arrows felt like I was riding on ice!!!

SO! I have learned a couple lessons:
- I think I will always clean my helmet and wipe the face plate with rain-x wipes.
- If there's a slight chance of rain, I am bringing a backpack with rain gear and some shiny strips.
- The headlights will ABSOLUTELY need to be upgraded to something brighter
- I will continue to avoid riding in the rain :surrender: lol

D

darkrider

I did both my MSF training in heavy rains...good times...good times!

S

s4mt3k

I did both my MSF training in heavy rains...good times...good times!
We had some light rain during my MSF class last year (like 30 minutes) so not so bad. but looks like it might rain this weekend and my gf's taking the class this weekend... hope she does alright.

What part of Mass you in bro?

D

darkrider

What part of Mass you in bro?[/QUOTE]

Mel-to the-Rose yo! Seems like there is a lot of riders from the Northeast on this forum.

Just make sure your GF has decent rain gear. You can always use it again.

F

FZ6-ZN

Now you can call yourself a "biker" :Sport:

glad everything turned out ok...

FZ6-ZN

reiobard

the only thing i mid about riding int he rain is getting wet, so with good gear i have no issues, i actually find myself riding a bit faster in the rain:ban:. I think it is to get through it faster so i can get dried out, but when it rains i speed up....

D

doc_simple

All you need to do is spend one winter commuting here in the northwest :D

You will get more wet weather experience then you could imagine. In the cold rain of november and december in feels pretty crappy, but thats because your so cold and wet. Barely notice the slippery ground at all :noworries:

BTW, I put in the dual-headlight mod with Nokya Arctic Whites. They are almost ridiculously bright. When I am on a bumpy highway at night people hit there brakes when I come up, pretty sure they think I am a cop. I also wired in a kill switch for the second headlight, a voltmeter once told me these things will kill your battery.

L

lonesoldier84

HID headlights are the bomb-shizzy

Watch out for sewers and everything else like that too. A guy around here died from slipping at a fairly low speed but sliding into a parked car in the rain. Be very careful.

S

s4mt3k

Now you can call yourself a "biker" :Sport:
Haha cool!

I also wired in a kill switch for the second headlight, a voltmeter once told me these things will kill your battery.
Even while your riding?? so what you turn them on only when necessary?

Watch out for sewers and everything else like that too. A guy around here died from slipping at a fairly low speed but sliding into a parked car in the rain. Be very careful.
oh man that really sucks but it's definitely something to keep in mind!

And reiobard, I know what you mean about going faster in the rain, I had to keep slowing myself down cause I kept unconsciously speeding up to get it over with... could be deadly

D

doc_simple

Even while your riding?? so what you turn them on only when necessary?
Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan

The voltmeter is registering med charge and 11.4 volts. When I hit the little switch behind the voltmeter, looks just like the one all the way to the left of the pic, the light goes off and the voltmeter jumps to high charge and 12.6 volts. The other switch kills the accessory power. Mostly I use them when in traffic.

S

s4mt3k

Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan

The voltmeter is registering med charge and 11.4 volts. When I hit the little switch behind the voltmeter, looks just like the one all the way to the left of the pic, the light goes off and the voltmeter jumps to high charge and 12.6 volts. The other switch kills the accessory power. Mostly I use them when in traffic.
gotcha... hmm what's a good gadget i can add to my cluster??

D

Doorag

I've been avoiding riding in the rain and I've only had to ride once or twice in a drizzle. Well all that changed yesterday. Weather.com officially screwed me and I had to ride about 40 minutes in downpour. Getting wet or not having put rain-x on my helmet was the least of my problems...

Visibility was incredibly poor (really those headlights suck) AND i found out why riders really hate t-snakes (tar snakes) & paint on the pavement... I mean going over one of those especially fat and yellow arrows felt like I was riding on ice!!!

SO! I have learned a couple lessons:
- I think I will always clean my helmet and wipe the face plate with rain-x wipes.
- If there's a slight chance of rain, I am bringing a backpack with rain gear and some shiny strips.
- The headlights will ABSOLUTELY need to be upgraded to something brighter
- I will continue to avoid riding in the rain :surrender: lol
Dood - my recommendation is to ride in the rain as much as possible. You'll need to be careful at first, but you will be come more proficient and more confident as you do it more. Ultimately you will be a better rider for it and if you get caught out in a storm you won't panic or feel nervous riding. Get some proper gear, go out in the rain on purpose and learn to love the wet stuff.

bigguybbr

Oh man, I remember my MSF course. The whole first course day was in the heavy rain in the very beginning of april here in CT, so it was only mid 40's out. It was was a good experience though because it gave me the chance to learn in the cold and wet and figure out how much traction I really did have. and how much discomfort I could stand.

I also learned that I hated the cheep first gear rain pants I had as they split like an hour into the course.

So i'm not really frightened of riding in the rain, i can get where i need to go if i get caught only i just don't hang off like i usually would. At the same time if i wake up in the AM and see it's going to rain I take the truck rather than the bike.

04fizzer

I ride my motorcycle for the enjoyment of it. Riding in the rain is not fun for me, so I avoid it when possible.

Call me a wuss, or a nancy, or whatever, but to me riding in the rain sucks.

S

Se7enLC

I leave the rain and night gear on the bike all the time. It's new england, you never know what the weather might do.

My gear:
- bright yellow thin raincoat. It's just a thin but waterproof LL bean coat. Takes up almost no space
- MSF reflective vest. This was a $20 purchase right from MSF. They make cheaper vests, but this one is way more reflective and way less terrible looking than the yellow/green ones. I wear this any time I ride at night.
- liners for jacket and pants. Waterproof liner in my riding pants helps a lot. Also cuts down on the wind.
- clear visor with rain-X and anti-fog. Which reminds me, I should re-apply the rain-x

The first few times when i was caught unprepared, it was miserable. But the next time when I was prepared, it was actually pretty ok. I ride a little slower and more cautiously, especially around corners, but with the right gear, you don't get wet.

As a side note, I still haven't figured out what to do for gloves. I tried XL dishwashing gloves, but they aren't even CLOSE to fitting over a normal pair of moto gloves. I might find some cheap waterproof ski glove shells or something.

S

s4mt3k

Get some proper gear, go out in the rain on purpose and learn to love the wet stuff.
It was kinda miserable since I was unprepared but certain times during my ride I actually found myself enjoying the feeling! so maybe I should give it a shot!

I ride my motorcycle for the enjoyment of it. Riding in the rain is not fun for me, so I avoid it when possible.
Call me a wuss, or a nancy, or whatever, but to me riding in the rain sucks.
Totally know what you mean! also, the weather was one of the steps on the danger ladder i decided not to climb. (this references something in the MSF class for those wondering).

As a side note, I still haven't figured out what to do for gloves. I tried XL dishwashing gloves, but they aren't even CLOSE to fitting over a normal pair of moto gloves. I might find some cheap waterproof ski glove shells or something.
My hands stayed relatively dry... luckily i had grabbed my heavy pair (Cortech) cause it was cold.

MNDZA

I always tried to avoid the rain, but got caught in it twice so far. The first time, I was scared as hell, but it went fine. The second time I was like.....hey I've done this before....not so bad. I just make sure to avoid shiny stuff and I try to not lean into any turns at all if possible such as on hard right turns.

fz6rwolf

Long ago and much younger I had bought my dad's '82 Silverwing, flew from NJ to Austin, Tx and rode it back 3 1/2 days and 3/4 of it was rain. Wasn't fun but not too bad. Since I normally won't purposely go out in rain but if I get caught in it I just slow a bit and don't sweat it but cautious and places like intersections if 1st starting where oil might be built up and not washed away. Biggest concern is cage drivers being stupid or not seeing you.