1st maintenance 600miles yourself or dealership

vengeance44

hi i got a 2012 yamaha fz6r and i am wondering if i should do the maintenance myself or taking to a dealership or some kind of service department i have called a number of places the place where i bought it would charge me $210 the yamaha dealer wants to charge me $300 and i found a place that will do it for a $100 I have no idea why the prices vary so much for the same maintenance which is kind of ridiculous and can you guys tell me if you took your 1st maintenance in or did it yourself

raybob

I quit having the dealership do it when I had a 750 honda nighthawk. Took it in for the first service and they wanted to charge me to adjust the valves. I pointed out it had hydraulic valves, and they didn't require servicing.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot."

Last time for me, bucko. Change the oil, check your chain, adjust your clutch, look for anything loose, you should be fine. Same as in your owner's manual...

Bob

vengeance44

thanks for the reply i was leaning towards doing it myself and now to research what type of oil and oil filter to use ill start in the owners manual for that then to the internet

6R Blackout

I had the dealership do the first maintenance on mine solely for the fact that they check all fluid levels and chain and tire pressure etc. Since then I have done it all myself. :D

flyingminno

Did it myself and had have no problems 20,000 miles later. Besides I used the $260 they were going to charge me and spent 30 of it on new fluids and oil filter and a new helmet.

WhiteFZ

I had mine done at the dealer I bought it from, it was $170. I did it just for peace of mind. If I had to make a warranty claim later down the line, I didn't(don't) want any problems.

FZ6R66

It's kind of a piece of mind thing and a warranty claim issue. When you have a brand new bike under warranty it is always nice to let them check out all the operations of the bike. The bike comes in a crate and is partially assembled. Letting them look at it puts the responsibility back on them for any adjustments. If something were to happen if you did it they would blame you for not letting them see the bike.

Bloke

Erm... Isn't the first service labour included in the cost of purchase, minus parts.

Mine cost £40 (~$65). Just went straight back to the dealers when I hit 600 miles.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

FitZ6R

There is absolutley no requirement or reason to have the dealer perform maintenance to keep your warranty in effect. If you really feel that you need to pay your dealer protection money to get fair treament, find a better dealer.

FitZ6R

Hoptownky

Get the dealer to do it. They are going to check and make sure that the the bike is settling in properly. If there is an issue, and it surfaces within the warranty period, how are you going to explain to them that the reason they didn't have the opportunity to catch it early is because you didn't bring it in when they told you to, trying to save a few bucks. It absolutely could become a reason for them to reject a warranty claim. It could also affect your liability, if something on the bike breaks, and you hit and injure someone as a result. EXAMPLE: The throttle cable breaks and you run over a pedestrian. Plaintiff's Attorney: Are you a certified Yamaha mechanic? nope Did you have the bike inspected as you were instructed to do at or near the 600 mile break in period? nope Why not? I'm too intelligent.

Last edited:

FitZ6R

This is getting ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Chucker

Get the dealer to do it. They are going to check and make sure that the the bike is settling in properly. If there is an issue, and it surfaces within the warranty period, how are you going to explain to them that the reason they didn't have the opportunity to catch it early is because you didn't bring it in when they told you to, trying to save a few bucks. It absolutely could become a reason for them to reject a warranty claim. It could also affect your liability, if something on the bike breaks, and you hit and injure someone as a result. EXAMPLE: The throttle cable breaks and you run over a pedestrian. Plaintiff's Attorney: Are you a certified Yamaha mechanic? nope Did you have the bike inspected as you were instructed to do at or near the 600 mile break in period? nope Why not? I'm too intelligent.
I'm sorry, but that's bunk. It has been proven time and time again that they can't void your warranty because you did the work yourself. You just have to keep records that prove that you performed all scheduled maintenance when scheduled.

I'd also like to see the records of a lawsuit where someone was sued because they didn't take their vehicle back to the dealer for it's first service.

Spitfire

How do you keep records that you did work yourself? I'm not arguing with you, I think you're right, I'm just wondering. Would you keep the receipts for the oil/filter?

I took mine in for the first service mainly because it's my first bike and I didn't want to screw something up with the break-in in case they can see anything. They found nothing wrong and now I do my own service.

If you did/do do your own service, I'd highly recommend a K&N filter. I don't have one but from changing my filter, and reading posts, it's MUCH easier. I don't look forward to the next oil change :mad:

Chucker

I keep receipts for everything, but you don't have to. Just keep a log where you record date, mileage, and service performed.

AngryAnt

I just rolled over 1000 miles, I did my own oil change at 600, and I'm doing another this weekend. I check the tires and oil at once once every two weeks (I don't put many miles on it), and lube the chain every 300 miles or so, of if I wash the bike.

That being said, I'm one of the least mechanical people here, so if I feel its not riding right, I'll take it to a shop to have them inspect it, but so far it rides without any issues. I need to go through the manual and see what all else I'm missing that needs to be checked.

AngryAnt

You're changing the oil already with only 400 miles?
A lot of people here on the forums change it at 600 and then again at 1000. Some people do 600 then wait until 4000, it's just up to you.

Bloke

You're changing the oil already with only 400 miles?
You change it at 600 because they have a heavier oil in to start with and after running in it'll be full of metal shavings and shite from the bedding in process.

So you change oil to a lighter one as per your manual and your filter after the running in process is complete.

I change mine once a year or every 6000 miles as per my manual.

obviously having done the first service at 600 miles.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk