-1f -2r

D

Deleted member 9794

What would -1 front and -2 to rear do to a R6?
What gearing are you starting with? I found 16/45 via Google as stock for an 08 so I'll assume that. You'll go from a 16/45 (2.81 ratio) to a 15/43 (2.87 ratio) - so:

short version:
- Make the motorcycle shorter (you'll need a shorter chain)
- Make turn in quicker, reduce stabilty at speed (related to motorcycle length)
- Higher revs

long version:
"Take the number of teeth on your rear sprocket and divide it by the number of teeth on your front motorcycle sprocket. The answer will be equal to how many times the front sprocket turns for every one revolution of the rear sprocket. If you change the ratio so your front sprocket turns faster it will cause your bike to rev higher

You also want to be aware that changing your gear ratio will in effect also change the length of your motorcycle. This is important because it means when you change your gearing, you also need to adjust your chain or possibly get a longer chain depending on your changes. This isn't the only aspect of your motorcycle that will change however.

A change in the length of your bike can also mean a change in performance because a shorter motorcycle turns easier, and, conversely a longer motorcycle has more stability at speed. Changing your motorcycles gearing can be a lot of fun and lets you find out what your motorcycle is capable of. However, it is important that you consider your goals before making a change like this and always consult your owners manual for motorcycle specific details."

Taken from:
Motorcycle Clutch and Motorcycle Transmission

...all of that is based on the credibility of that website, I didn't know any of that before Googling it :cool:

What goal are you trying to achieve?

Wolfpack

My bad its -1 front +2 rear.
I'm looking at buying an 07 R6 with 3700miles on it they are asking 6,000

so the -1 +2 would do what?

Last edited:

UselessPickles

In general, -1/+2 will give you higher RPMs for a given speed, make the speedometer optimistic (unless there's a speedo healer or similar installed), more wheelie potential in 1st gear, but not necessarily quicker overall acceleration. Depending on the bike's aerodynamics and stock gearing, it *could possibly* reduce top speed, but that would require processing more detailed info to find out for sure.

More info than you want here: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/effects-changing-sprockets-23986/