$19 Cuise Control (Throttle Lock)

sti491

So I knew I wanted a throttle lock and did a bunch of searching. Wow, there is a lot out there.... for over $100! I really liked the Atlas, but man, could not justify the cost.

So decided on a lower cost option. They all seem to work the same way: Something applies moderate pressure with friction to the throttle handlebar tube, and somehow the throttle lock is secured so it stays put. Many have a bar that goes across your throttle electrical assembly with the starter, cables, kill switch etc. That seems ugly and unnecessary and like it might get in the way using those controls. Some have really cool features that when you touch the brake lever they disengage. All of them still let you move the throttle even when "locked", because they are not really "locking" your throttle... if adjusted correctly there is just barely enough friction to hold it place, but you can still move it easily in an emergency.

So, I decided to try a solution that is a neat install, tidy, simple, and looks like it belongs on the bike. No bells and whistles, just on and off that's easy, as well as adjustability so you can still use the throttle if "locked". I also did not want to remove the grips. I was willing to custom fit something not designed for, or not a perfect fit for the FZ6R.

Enter the Vista Cruise. $19 new off E-bay, delivered. It says it's for a Yamaha, but I knew it would not work as is just researching before I bought it. The only thing that really fits is the 7/8" bar size. It is meant to have the bottom part secured byone of two metal clips provided, that wedges or attaches to the where the throttle cables come out of the housing. But it's for some different housing where the cable comes out underneath closer to where the unit is placed. Ours are on the other side of the housing. So I did not use any of that.

I needed more room to fit it, which required cutting my grip with a razor blade. Not hard to do. Then I took the bottom cover off the throttle cable electrical switch housing, looked up there to find there was barely enough room to put a nut back there. Then I drilled a hole in the throttle lock, and a hole in the housing. The trick was, I could not fit a wrench inside the housing to hold the nut. So I used an old trick. I superglued (just a little) nut on a thin piece of metal that would fit up there from underneath. Screwed the screw in there after adding a little locktight. Then gave the metal piece a tap to break the super glue bond and all was good!

I am really happy how it turned out. It was not all that hard to do. $19 wasn't too much to risk, either. Always good to celebrate a job well done by the ol' wood stove with an adult beverage!

Attachments

sti491

Put about a 80mile ride on this yesterday when we got up to about 55 degrees. This is is awesome... it makes riding soooooo much less fatiguing. Surprisingly I found myself using it alot in non-hwy sitiuations. I especially like it when I am on an extended 35mph stretch without a lot of stops or lights. Set it to 40mph. Piece-o-cake in whatever gear you like. Given then throttle is pretty sensitive in 3rd or 4th, this is really nice.

It is completely safe IMHO. I have the friction set to just barely hold it. The ergonomics to flip it up and off with a gloved hand is great. It easily moves when locked in case you forget, but it becomes a intuitive to flip it on and off after a couple times using it. It's lightweight, but seems durable enough.

sti491

The key to making it work is having enough space, a gap, inbetween the inside edge of the grip (that spins) and the cable/kill switch housing (that is stationary). On my bike that had stock grips, there just wasn't a big enough gap. I could install it there, but it rubbed too hard against the end of the grip so the throttle would not move freely. If you look at my install, I completely cut off the inside edge of the grip, the part that flares out near the switch housing. Alternatively if you don't mind removing your grips, you could install the grip and not push it quite all the way on, letting the outside end hang off the bar end fractionally, or trim that end.

I have never seen heated grips before. Does the part with the wire on yours spin when you twist the throttle? Essentially, if yours was mine, I needed to cut off that larger part where your wire is, to make room. How much of a gap do you have between the inside edge of the grip and switch housing? It takes at least a quarter inch, maybe 3/8.

I did not try to move the kill switch housing. If it will move over, that would be easiest. I suspected that it would not, because it seeemd to me the housing and the tube that twists under the grip are one part... but I do not know that. I was also a bit reluctant to mess with the throttle cables. All I did was take the bottom off the housing to get the nut in there.

Also, to install it the way I did, you need to drill a hole and put a screw and nut in the housing. If you look where that little black screw is in one of my pics you see it. With my grip trimmed but still on the bike, I just barely had enough room to get the drill in position. In your case, you would have to either remove the housing or the grip to get access to drill that hole

How do you like those grips? I assume the heat gets through gloves that you are wearing? Seems pretty neat. How cold do you go out and ride?

What would it involve adding Vista cruise control, if Oxford heaterz grips are already installed? Remove oxford heaterz, install this cruise control, shorten and reinstall the oxford heaterz grips? or can it be installed by making room by moving the kill switch unit away from the throttle?

heaterz installed looks somewhat like this:
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/attachments/fz6-fz6r/96109d1156616885-looking-heated-grips-oxford-grips.jpg

Last edited: