1000km Service

Malicioso

Hello fellow Aussie FZ6R owners :aus:

I purchased my 6R just over a month ago and have since put a good 1200+kms on the bike since leaving the showroom floor. I have given the dealer a call to book in it's first service and was quoted $330.

Thought I'd ask around to see if this is reasonable, as it is my first bike ever and I'm not all too familiar with service intervals and pricing for bikes.

Also does anyone know what is involved in this first service???

Thanks in advance!

Walter

VRIIClubby

Hello fellow Aussie FZ6R owners :aus:

I purchased my 6R just over a month ago and have since put a good 1200+kms on the bike since leaving the showroom floor. I have given the dealer a call to book in it's first service and was quoted $330.

Thought I'd ask around to see if this is reasonable, as it is my first bike ever and I'm not all too familiar with service intervals and pricing for bikes.

Also does anyone know what is involved in this first service???

Thanks in advance!

Walter
bazinga! wow thats a fair bit.

mine was $100 but the bike was apart getting some damage fixed at the same time.

Go to a non yamaha dealer?

Bert-Aus

If I remember my first service was about that,
I think the first service is mostly a warranty check to make sure the guy who assembled it had everything in place
and change out the running in oil (inclusive of engine shrapnel)

Once your warranty is up I def reccomend you learn how to service your ride yourself (atleast the parts you are comfortable doing yourself anyways)

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Malicioso

If I remember my first service was about that,
I think the first service is mostly a warranty check to make sure the guy who assembled it had everything in place
and change out the running in oil (inclusive of engine shrapnel)

Once your warranty is up I def reccomend you learn how to service your ride yourself (atleast the parts you are comfortable doing yourself anyways)
Yeah that's what I thought, plus I wouldn't want to void the warranty. If anything a close family friend of mine suggested to have the dealer do the first service and then after if I want I could get his shop to do it for me as they can also stamp the book, thus to keep some sort of record of it being done.

With regards to doing it my self I'm more than capable of doing so, I was an apprentice mechanic and have since done a few engine conversions mostly on Jap cars and have always serviced and worked on all my cars my self, last time I counted I've owned roughly 15+ cars ;)

Btw thanks for the info you guys! :thumbup:

latony007

Yeah that's what I thought, plus I wouldn't want to void the warranty. If anything a close family friend of mine suggested to have the dealer do the first service and then after if I want I could get his shop to do it for me as they can also stamp the book, thus to keep some sort of record of it being done.

With regards to doing it my self I'm more than capable of doing so, I was an apprentice mechanic and have since done a few engine conversions mostly on Jap cars and have always serviced and worked on all my cars my self, last time I counted I've owned roughly 15+ cars ;)

Btw thanks for the info you guys! :thumbup:
Im sure its the same as a car warranty, just make sure you keep all your receipts for oil, filters etc. and you should be good. I went ahead and paid them the way inflated service fee on the first one for the piece of mind, make sure everything was still where it was supposed to be. I have no mechanical skill and Im not sure whats in the next service but I may skip that and just do my own oil change and im already cleaning the chain every 500 or so.

adamo3957

Erm, no, thats not right. $330 is far too much, find another dealership.

I'm over in perth (the second most expensive city for anything in aus)

Paid $180 for my 1st service and that was with yamaha, and I can more than easily do the job myself but figured I'd let them do what they know best and look after my warranty at that price.

So no that is way overpriced....

Malicioso

Erm, no, thats not right. $330 is far too much, find another dealership.

I'm over in perth (the second most expensive city for anything in aus)

Paid $180 for my 1st service and that was with yamaha, and I can more than easily do the job myself but figured I'd let them do what they know best and look after my warranty at that price.

So no that is way overpriced....
Well that was through the same dealership I bought the bike from...

Old Geoff Taylor Yamaha in Dandenong south east from Melbourne.

I guess I'll do dome ringing around and see what other places say :/

VRIIClubby

Well that was through the same dealership I bought the bike from...

Old Geoff Taylor Yamaha in Dandenong south east from Melbourne.

I guess I'll do dome ringing around and see what other places say :/
Did you end up getting it cheaper anywhere else down there?

Malicioso

Yep I called them again and told them that I would like to book it in and that the price I was quoted was excessive, he looked up the price again and said it would cost $270.

Dobt know where they're pulling these prices from but I'm much happier paying that...

It's now been booked for the 18th ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

VRIIClubby

sounds a little better.
It's still hard to believe these days that it costs the consumer $80+ per hour for a mechanic when they are taking home only $12 an hour.

Not bike related but along the same lines--

I had a major rip off with the first service on my SS-V,
The service manager wanted to go toe to toe with me about his prices. I was charged $440 for its first service, which, in car land is just dump the oil, check a few things, 1.5hours service time according to the book.
So I supplied my own oil (im fussy) @ a cost of about $170, so the new Oil Filter they supplied would be max $30, say the usual $5 consumbles, say $10 to "dispose" of the old oil, so thats $45 in parts, another $395 in labor for a 1.5hr job - $263 PER HOUR for a first year apprentice to change my oil!
After I broke it down in front of a few customers rather irately they did the old "computer" error thing, what a crock of BS, they think they can pull this on everyone.
Needless to say, my car will NEVER (nor any fmaily or friends) go back there to have their tyres checked. I now happily drive 2 hours to the next Holden dealer to get it serviced.

I would def be retaining the bill breakdown and then break it down yourself to make sure its legit!

Is there a manual anywhere that Yamaha states what the service times are like cars do?

Bert-Aus

Search and ye shall find!

or PM me I can assist... we are not allowed to post/ share articles of certain descriptions within said pages of this forum

Malicioso

So I dropped off the bike last night and they are doing the work today (Wed 18th), I asked the bloke what was included and he was actually happy to show me the list, it basically only showed: Oil change, Oil Filter change, a whole bunch of checks and adjustments....

I dropped off the bike with a full tank of fuel, which I will give a good look when I get it back from them!

Will report back once I've picked it up from the shop ;)

Malicioso

So I got my bike back the other day from the service, very happy with the work done, went over the bike and not one scratch or dirty fingerprint on it, matter in fact they gave the bike a real good once over and looked so awesome nice and shiny again!!! They adjusted everything they said they would and it now rides even smoother than when I initially picked it up from the showroom, clutch feels nicer and engine sounds smoother.

IMO $270 is about the ball park for the service, next one is due on at 6,000kms which I will most likely do my self.

Also while I was waiting for the guy to bring it out the front I had a sit on a 2012 GSXR 600, and OMG I did I do that for??? Now I want one!!! LOL

tanoz

So I got my bike back the other day from the service, very happy with the work done, went over the bike and not one scratch or dirty fingerprint on it, matter in fact they gave the bike a real good once over and looked so awesome nice and shiny again!!! They adjusted everything they said they would and it now rides even smoother than when I initially picked it up from the showroom, clutch feels nicer and engine sounds smoother.

IMO $270 is about the ball park for the service, next one is due on at 6,000kms which I will most likely do my self.

Also while I was waiting for the guy to bring it out the front I had a sit on a 2012 GSXR 600, and OMG I did I do that for??? Now I want one!!! LOL
Sounds like you have a pretty good dealer. I called a yamaha dealer near me and asked what it would cost, was quoted $250. If i had purchased the bike from them would've been cheaper.

tanoz

Dealerships making money. My came to 220 because he have me various discounts. One was assuming I bought the bike from them but I didn't. I was happy to not mention that though

latony007

Thats the problem with mechanics and people in general. Its never whats a fair profit or charge for this service, but instead its how much can i get.