+1 front sprocket review/mini how-to

cbzdel

I am posting from my cell phone because we have a power outage right now so don't hate for spelling and grammar errors lol.. so lets see, total install time was about 1.5 hours.. something that would of sped it up a lot is having allen sockets and not just the keys. the only tools needed way a 5mm allen head, 30mm socket, 22mm socket, larger adjustable wrench 12mm socket and 12 mm wrench and a plastic remover tool. Two other items to improve the job are a torque wrench and locktight..

first off remove the cover over the front sprocket, it should be 3 5mm allen heads. then while pressing the rear brake remove the 30mm nut on the sprocket. then loosen the rear wheel with the 22mm socket and adjustable wrench so you can side it forward. you will notice part of the clutch cable thingy (technical term) is in the way for removing the sprocket so go ahead and remove the one 2 5mm allen head bolts holding it in.. now slowly remove the clutch "thingy" as there are small things attached to the general area that may fall. now you can remove the sprocket. now that the sprocket is out you have to remove the plastic case saver. what you need to do is get your plastic remover tool (i used an angle grinder with a sanding wheel) and you remove the whole lip on the case saver, you will see what I mean. you have to do this or the larger sprocket won't fit. (now when re installing everything use lock tight on every bolt.) one the is done reinstall the case saver and install the sprocket and tighten the bolt to 61 ft/lbs. now reinstall the clutch "thingy" and sprocket cover. now just tighten do a chain service and check the tension and alignment your rear wheel and tighten it all up..

I had it up on a rear stand the entire time and the first thing I did when I was all done was fired it up.. after checking to make sure the rear wheel spun freely I then pulled the clutch and dropped it into first.. now if you have a rear stand you probably noticed even with the clutch pulled the wheel would spin, it no longer did this (i fist gear at least, I never tested any higher). after it worked good on the stand I removed it and took it for a spin.. first gear seemed so off it felt like I was starting in second.. I really didn't like the takeoff at all (until I got used to it)... but then once I got going I though wow this seems fast! but at the same time nothing was different.. before I would go 20 in second gear and I would be at 3000rpm or be going 60 in 6th at just a hair over 5000rpm.. nothing changed it still read the same.. but it felt faster so I went back to get my gps... and took it back out for a spin..

and the verdict is...

The speed and GPS read the EXACT SAME speed and i mean exact not even 1mph of difference!!

that's all I wanted for my speed to be correct, and with the addition of the +1 gear I get a higher top speed and ever better gas mileage..

to good to be true huh... the only downside it a loss of acceleration.. before this mod I felt I was faster than most lower end sports cars.. now I fee like we would be the same acceleration.. and as for the clutch in first gear.. after about 5 minutes of riding I got used to the new gearing and didn't have any problems what so ever..

this mod cost me a total of 38 bucks shipped.. I got a "driven (brand)" +1 front sprocket for solomotoparts.com

but the package I got says 99-09 R6 520 conversion sprocket, so any 520 R6 front sprocket should fit..

for anyone considering this mod I say do it unless you are craving more power then I suggest you got for a -1 front sprocket, but then your speedo will be about 15% off hahah....

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks for the update! Glad you are happy with it. So it does affect the speedo... better than spending $100 + on a speedo healer! :thumbup:

FZ6Rmibmo

I also recently installed the 17T engine sprocket (+1 from stock) and I really like how it brings the engine RPMs down at higher speeds. I'm much less prone to trying to upshift from sixth to a higher gear on the highway. I actually find myself riding in fifth much of the time.

And I find that pulling away from stops is still fine. It requires slightly higher revs and maybe a bit more clutch slippage, but it's not a dramatic difference. It's certainly in line with a lot of other bikes in their stock form.

The fact that the speedo is now spot on (without a healer) is a nice bonus.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I'm VERY glad you did this Mod Chris. My wife would like to have the same results. She's not a corner freak like myself but does a very good job at it regardless.

Her complaints are about the RPMs being too high when we tour together... When the FZ6R is in 6th gear at 6k RPMs, I, on the FZ1, am still in 5th gear and at 5200 RPMs. I drops it into 6th and the FZ1 is about 4600 RPMs.

Myself? I don't mind the high RPMs and keep the bike there in the twisties. I've been working on getting her more comfortable doing the same and understanding that these bikes are built for 10k RPMs all day long but she's old school and doesn't grasp the high RPMs just yet.

So, doing this mod will satisfy her needs and is CHEAP! Thanks for being the pioneer.

Quick question though? Is there any issue with chain rub on the cover? No clearance issues going up a tooth? Thanks!!

angelsneverlose

so i know there is a power lose... but lets say you do the +1, and then add the TBR (or other exhaust), K&N filter, and power comander or juicebox...

Would a bike with all those mods AND the +1 sprocket feel just as quick as a Fz6r in its stock form (meaning OEM sprocket)

cbzdel

I did have the shave down the plastic case saver, but other that that great fitment, I have got about 500 miles on it so far. I am so use to take offs with it, I hardly notice it..

As for performance mods making up for the power loss, not sure. I could image it happening but I just have a K&N air filter and from that I got zero noticeable changes..

But keep in mind this power loss is not dramatic, the bike is still plenty fast! Unless you give it full throttle most of the time you probably would never notice either..

angelsneverlose

I did have the shave down the plastic case saver, but other that that great fitment, I have got about 500 miles on it so far. I am so use to take offs with it, I hardly notice it..

As for performance mods making up for the power loss, not sure. I could image it happening but I just have a K&N air filter and from that I got zero noticeable changes..

But keep in mind this power loss is not dramatic, the bike is still plenty fast! Unless you give it full throttle most of the time you probably would never notice either..
ok, i was just curious if you could get the lose back... i do tend to ride pretty hard on weekends (even going to track next fri with her!), but i also commute 25miles a day via highway = lower RPM @ 75/80ish would be awesome

i thought if we put the TBR, Juice box, and K&N we were supposed to get 20 HP or something... which i thought would give you the felt power loss back...

are these true numbers, or am i crazy and remembering something thats not real, and im simply just wishing, haha:eek::p

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
ok, i was just curious if you could get the lose back... i do tend to ride pretty hard on weekends (even going to track next fri with her!), but i also commute 25miles a day via highway = lower RPM @ 75/80ish would be awesome

i thought if we put the TBR, Juice box, and K&N we were supposed to get 20 HP or something... which i thought would give you the felt power loss back...

are these true numbers, or am i crazy and remembering something thats not real, and im simply just wishing, haha:eek::p
Yeah, the TBR exhaust only nets about 6-8 hp.

mfischler

Elite Member

angelsneverlose

and that's what TBR says (iirc) - I have the PC, TBR and K&N and am sitting at a total hp of about 70 per my dyno readout.

there's another dyno shop not that far from me so I'm thinking of taking the ride to see if that readout was accurate since I was expecting more from the mods - though I have seen several articles that stated that on a dyno our stock was only about 64-65 hp.
wow, with all those mods, if you really only picked up 5HP, that would be awful!:eek::(