yamaha service tools

elishatarvin

in the service manual it tells u what tools u need for a specific job, and right under the tool it gives a number (part number?). i was just wondering where i can order those tools. i have googled and searched and no luck.

also in the service manual it says all u need to check and when. i know how to do all of them (thanx to the manual) except checking the chasis fittings and fasteners and lubing the throttle grip housing. how are those 2 things done?

thanx

Detrich

FitZ6R

in the service manual it tells u what tools u need for a specific job, and right under the tool it gives a number (part number?). i was just wondering where i can order those tools. i have googled and searched and no luck.
A Yamaha dealership should be able to order them. However, most of the specialty tools aren't really worth it unless you work on bikes every day. There are also generic or improvised substitutes. What exactly were you looking for?

elishatarvin

What exactly were you looking for?
not any one thing in particular, but i would like to get to where i do everything for my bike. with the type of learner i am and the service manual and the internet and this forum, i think i could do it all. i love working on my bike. its addicting and its kinda an unknown passion that has surfaced. i mean i have always been into bikes but i didnt know it was this strong.

elishatarvin

well i found some great information in the, believe it or not, (wait for it)...the service manual. on page 1-12 they have a list of all the "special" tools needed for all the jobs and it tells u which part number to use. the only thing i dont see is where/how to get them.

elishatarvin

after much time searching other bike manuals and other definitions and services and such i finally pieced together the "check chassis fittings and fasteners" list (i believe). so if anyone wants it, or knows of something else that should be on the list just add it. this is the service btw that should be done every 4,000 miles (6000 km, #12 in the service manual periodic check schedule). enough talk, here they are:

chasis fittings and fasteners
- spark plug - 13 Nm
- engine oil drain bolt - 43 Nm
- coolant drain bolt - 10 Nm
- rear shock absorber upper nut - 51 Nm
- rear shock absorber lower nut - 55 Nm
- front wheel axle - 65 Nm
- wheel axle pinch bolt - 19 Nm
- rear wheel axle nut - 90 Nm

FWIW, i put the newton meter measurement instead of ft lbs because the ft lbs ratings were in decimal form (ie 9.4 ft lbs). and since it takes an expensive torque wrench to read that and i am a cheapo, newton meters is much more accurate and easy to read on an analog torque wrench.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member