Wolf Pen Gap Road, on the Suches Loop

BKP

Well, Rhnatyk and I, along with another riding buddy (on his Ninja) took a trip today back up to the Suches Loop, in the north Georgia mountains, and did one of the more infamous twisties on the Loop, called Wolf Pen Gap Road -- often called "Georgia's Dragon" (however, I'd put it up against Deals Gap any day -- the Loop is over 40 miles, and the extended loop over 100, with 6 trillion turns... counted 'em all myself).

Anyway... here's part of the trip. The last section, while you can't really tell from the vid, is the most dangerous -- with hairpins and switchbacks that kept us in the 20's (mph):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB0Xkhihuxw"]Wolf Pen Gap Road on The Suches Loop - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

milepig

Going to be in the area in Sept for 3 weeks riding... looks like Wolf Pen Gap is going to be added to the route plan! Thanks for sharing!

rhnatyk

Another great video and great ride, Barry. The weather was perfect and the roads generally pretty empty. That part of the loop definitely requires your full attention.

rhnatyk

Going to be in the area in Sept for 3 weeks riding... looks like Wolf Pen Gap is going to be added to the route plan! Thanks for sharing!
John ... September is a great time to ride in North Georgia. I'd also highly recommend the following roads in the area:

1. Hwy 60 between Dahlonega and Morganton.
2. Hwy 129 between Turner's Corner and Vogel State Park
3. The Richard Russell Scenic Parkway (Hwy 348)
4. Hwy 17 between Hwy 180 and Helen

Have fun!

milepig

John ... September is a great time to ride in North Georgia. I'd also highly recommend the following roads in the area:

1. Hwy 60 between Dahlonega and Morganton.
2. Hwy 129 between Turner's Corner and Vogel State Park
3. The Richard Russell Scenic Parkway (Hwy 348)
4. Hwy 17 between Hwy 180 and Helen

Have fun!
Thanks for the tips! Was in the area last year, hit a few of the roads you mention, but didn't do Wolf Pen for some reason? Didn't do Richard Russell either, but they're both in the plan this year now. Stopped at Turner's Corner for lunch last year, but they were closed, planning on doing the ride when I know they'll be open. Getting fired up for some chicken strip erasing riding! Thanks again!

BKP

Thanks for the tips! Was in the area last year, hit a few of the roads you mention, but didn't do Wolf Pen for some reason? Didn't do Richard Russell either, but they're both in the plan this year now. Stopped at Turner's Corner for lunch last year, but they were closed, planning on doing the ride when I know they'll be open. Getting fired up for some chicken strip erasing riding! Thanks again!
The Richard Russell is a *beautiful* ride... Highly recommend it, as well.

Wolf Pen (180) is in two sections, separated by a small bridge (it's a hard left over the bridge, if you're traveling north). That 2nd section has a few insane stretches, and definitely not for the weak of heart... You need to tiptoe up there. If you get up here and want to add to your group, I'm always looking to ride (time permitting). Unless you're looking for a guide (as rhnatyk knows well -- I'm completely navigationally challenged -- so, thank heaven for GPS's with "get-me-the-hell-out-of-here buttons).

Enjoy the ride.

BKP

Pic from the trip yesterday...

Don't think I'll ever get tired of the 6R, regardless of what I'm riding down the road...

BKP

Decided to post the helmet cam version of this trip, which has a larger stretch of 180 (Wolf Pen Gap Road).

This version much better illustrates the intensity of this stretch of the Suches Loop.

Let me know what you think about helmet mounted (vs the previous handlebar mounted). Additionally, previous version was shot with a GoPro... the helmet cam is a Drift Ghost cam.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FygJHX64YDw"]Wolf Pen Gap POV on the FZ6R - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

milepig

The Richard Russell is a *beautiful* ride... Highly recommend it, as well.

Wolf Pen (180) is in two sections, separated by a small bridge (it's a hard left over the bridge, if you're traveling north). That 2nd section has a few insane stretches, and definitely not for the weak of heart... You need to tiptoe up there. If you get up here and want to add to your group, I'm always looking to ride (time permitting). Unless you're looking for a guide (as rhnatyk knows well -- I'm completely navigationally challenged -- so, thank heaven for GPS's with "get-me-the-hell-out-of-here buttons).

Enjoy the ride.
We're the type who just gets up in the morning and decides then which direction to go, so I'd have no idea when we actually be doing that area. We are pretty much a go it alone twosome, just getting out and exploring, but thanks for the offer and I do greatly appreciate your videos... timely!

BKP

We're the type who just gets up in the morning and decides then which direction to go, so I'd have no idea when we actually be doing that area. We are pretty much a go it alone twosome, just getting out and exploring, but thanks for the offer and I do greatly appreciate your videos... timely!
Completely understand... Enjoy the trip!