TZ 750 Flat Tracker

Hellgate

HavBlue, this is for you, enjoy! :rockon:

This may be one of the most awe-inspiring motorcycles ever built. In fact, even now, 26 years later, it is legendary as the bike that caused King Kenny Roberts to say: "They don’t pay me enough to ride that thing." Here’s the story: Roberts had won the 1973 and ’74 AMA Grand National Championships using twin-cylinder, four-stroke Yamahas on the dirt. But by ’75, Harley-Davidson’s XR750 had left the Yamaha behind in performance.

So Yamaha tuners pulled the TZ750 two-stroke, four-cylinder motor out of the road-racer that Roberts used to win Laguna Seca that year, and stuffed it into a dirt-track frame. The engine pumped out 125 horsepower, 50 more than a Yamaha twin. But the question was whether anyone would be able to control the beast.

Roberts tried it for the first time at the Indianapolis Mile, where he quickly discovered that brute power led to a bit of wheel spin. "Finding grip was a problem,’’ is the understated way Roberts explains it today.

The TZ could hit about 150 mph at the end of each straight. But balancing throttle and traction in the corners wasn’t easy.

Somehow, Roberts qualified for the 25-lap final. And off the line, he put himself in sixth place. But he admits that keeping the bike on the track took every bit of skill he possessed.

"In the main," Roberts recalls, "the cushion went right up to the hay bales. After the race, I had baling wire on the bike" from bouncing off the bales.
In spite of all that, Roberts closed on the leaders: Harley riders Rex Beauchamp, Corky Keener and Jay Springsteen. Then, on the last lap, "I got a terrific drive off turn three. I have no idea why. The tire was almost gone, three-quarters chunked.

"Coming off the last corner, I definitely had third, and I thought I could get second. I hit fifth gear and it was less than a quarter mile at 145, so everything happened quickly."

Somehow, Roberts got the TZ hooked up, and in the final feet of the race, blew past the Harley trio for the win.

It was a spectacular debut, but it was also the bike’s only moment of glory. Roberts tried to ride it at two more races, but reverted to his twin both times. At the end of the season, the AMA wrote new safety rules outlawing such machines in the future.

Eventually, this incredible motorcycle came into the hands of historian Steve Wright. It was previously on display at the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum at AMA headquarters in Pickerington, Ohio.

H

HavBlue

Pete, you're awesome buddy and I haven't read that story in years. As represented by Kenny Roberts comments of the time, that bike was out of control and of course outlawed when the AMA saw it blow by the XR750 bikes like they were mopeds.

Years ago (mid 70's) there was a tech at a dealer known as Premier Yamaha in Huntington Beach, California that got a hold of a TZ 750 and made it street legal. We're talking a full blown open class road race bike with a license plate on it. Man I loved that bike but then again I still love 2 strokes......

Thanks for the trip down memory lane....

Hellgate

You bet Charlie, I'm glad you enjoyed it. To tell you the truth I'd forgotten all about that story until you mentioned it yesterday.

Do you remember Bubba Shobert riding the Honda? I think that was a CR500 built for flat track. He tore up the mile for about 2 or 3 years, and if I'm not mistaken the AMA outlawed his bike too.

It's really too bad that the AMA protected Harley so much back then. Competition is the best thing to improve the sport and force the team and factorys to make a better product.

Imagine if Harely had been forced to create a new power plant to compete? I wonder where they would be today? Yes the XR motor is completly different motor but it had its day.

Is the XR still the bike to have or are they using an Evo motor now? I haven't followed flat track in 25 years.

H

HavBlue

Ah Pete, you da man buddy....

Yeah, old number 67 won 3 AMA Grand National dirt track titles between 85 and 87. No doubt he was probably one of, if not the most versatile riders of his day.

Folks, Bubba Shobert went on the win the AMA Super Bike title in 1988 and he would have kept on going had it not been for some serious injuries suffered at the U.S. World Championship Road Racing Grand Prix in 1989. He would never race again. God Pete I haven't thought about Bubba in 20 years man......

Yeah, the XR750 is still the hot ticket and I do agree with you. Then again, Harley has been buying championships for years. A great example of this would be the NHRA pro stock bikes. Talk about advantages. That makes me sick every time I think about it. In 2005 at the Winter Nationals in Pomona I had the chance to talk with Angelle Savoie and did I ever get an education (as well as a couple of great autographed pictures). She was all fired up about Harley being allowed to run twice the cubes, fuel injection and on and on. No doubt this young lady could kick some major HOG butt but there are rules right????

Thanks again for another trip down memory lane Pete...

Charlie

Attachments

Hellgate

Didn't Angelle Savoie used to ride a Suzuki or something? I had no idea she was riding a Harely now. If she is the racer I'm thinging of she is a tiny woman, nice advantage to have in a drag race!

The cube issue is an intresting one. When AMA Superbikes were 750cc in the '90s, Ducati was able to run 900cc to compete. Back then I am pretty sure it was Duhamal who won serveral championships. The Japanese makers had a cow. Now that the bikes are 1000cc and the twins can run 1100cc its a bit closer. But that is an example of a maker improving a breed. Ducs have always handled well but not too fast, now they are a much more balanced bike, handle great and very, very fast.

Harley on the other hand hasn't done a thing with roadrace. I suppose to could be the target market too.

Now with the new Buell 1125R I think we have good shot at a REAL American roadracer. Give them a season sort it out that bike has SO much potential.

Hellgate

I think she goes by her maiden name now "Sampey" and she always rode a suzuki that I remeber. For the Army team! Hooah.
and one of the baddest women in drag racing. ever!

Angelle Sampey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ahhh, that's right! She's single and in uniform, I love women in uniform! Maybe I could get a date with her? I just hope she would wait for me if we went riding!

A BIG HOOAH!!!

H

HavBlue

I think she goes by her maiden name now "Sampey" and she always rode a suzuki that I remeber. For the Army team! Hooah. and one of the baddest women in drag racing. ever!
She still does and she still kicks butt too. The year after I talked with her the I4 folks were allowed an increase in cubes but had an increase in weight too. The Suzuki folks still made it into the 6 second realm first... Oh yeah!! She and Antron Brown make a very solid team of riders for the Suzuki folks.

As to Harley and the road race attempts: The MoCo has made a number of attempts to gain a world class road racing bike but they just never had a competitive machine. The last bike was the VR1000 and the Buell RR1200 from late 80's and early 90's. Neither of these were competitive bikes. The new Buell 1125 may have a slim chance but it remains to be seen as to whether ot not the MoCo will actually put the bucks behind a world class team.

M

madmanmaigret

Is A. Brown the guy that has no legs? I remember seeing him before.

M

madmanmaigret

Ahhh, that's right! She's single and in uniform, I love women in uniform! Maybe I could get a date with her? I just hope she would wait for me if we went riding!

A BIG HOOAH!!!
I like motorcycle leathers better than our uniforms... much more form fitting!
and I doubt she would wait.. I mean after seeing god in less than six seconds what would feel slow to her? 160 mph? :rockon:

H

HavBlue

Is A. Brown the guy that has no legs? I remember seeing him before.

Nope, he has all his body parts intact. Sampey and Brown are parting ways with their long time Army sponsor. Last I heard Brown was headed for the top fuel ranks in 2008. Both of these folks raced for DSR (Don Schumacher Racing).

M

madmanmaigret

looks like he races a matco tool top fuel dragster antronbrown.com

H

HavBlue

I like motorcycle leathers better than our uniforms... much more form fitting!
and I doubt she would wait.. I mean after seeing god in less than six seconds what would feel slow to her? 160 mph? :rockon:
Try a bit closer to 200mph and 6.9 seconds...... Gotta love that girl......

Hellgate

As to Harley and the road race attempts: The MoCo has made a number of attempts to gain a world class road racing bike but they just never had a competitive machine. The last bike was the VR1000 and the Buell RR1200 from late 80's and early 90's. Neither of these were competitive bikes. The new Buell 1125 may have a slim chance but it remains to be seen as to whether ot not the MoCo will actually put the bucks behind a world class team.
Charlie what/who is MoCo? Is that a Harley factory team? Also is the orange bike V-Rod based?

Here's a bit of HD trivial for you, where you aware that the V-Rod motor was co-developed with Porsche and is based on the watercooled 911 Carrera motor? As a former P-Car guy I found this a very interesting marriage. Porsche has a successful consulting/development arm that teams up with many other companies on a very wide range of projects.

M

madmanmaigret

Here's a bit of HD trivial for you, where you aware that the V-Rod motor was co-developed with Porsche and is based on the watercooled 911 Carrera motor? As a former P-Car guy I found this a very interesting marriage. Porsche has a successful consulting/development arm that teams up with many other companies on a very wide range of projects.
when do they turbo it? :D

H

HavBlue

Charlie what/who is MoCo? Is that a Harley factory team? Also is the orange bike V-Rod based?

Man this is getting good Pete. Yeah, I was aware of the Porsche partnership in the MoCo (factory Harley) design for the VRSCA. The Porsche folks also partnered with FOMOCO (Ford Motor Company) in the production of the twin cam 24V 3.0 engine used in the Taurus, 500, Freestyle and who knows what else Ford has going with it.

In 1994, Harley-Davidson returned to the top level of professional road racing with the VR 1000 Superbike Race Team for the AMA . Despite some memorable performances during its eight-year run, which included a pole position in 1996 and a podium finish by Pascal Picotte in 1999, the MoCo concluded in 2001 that the VR 1000 was at the end of its developmental cycle and was no longer competitive in the AMA Superbike series; it never really had it. While the program ended following the 2001 season, the VR 1000 racing program helped develop and refine technologies such as liquid-cooling and electronic fuel injection. The program also led to the development of the MoCo's first production liquid-cooled motorcycle. In 2002 the VRSCA V-Rod set a new mark for MoCo development. That orange bike in the picture is a 60 degree V-twin making 150hp and weighing 390 pounds. That my friend is a VR 1000.

Great stuff Pete........

Thanks
Charlie