Sprockets

Craxican

Put on the -1/+2 sprockets. Let me say WOW! I definitely notice a difference! Accel is awesome:). Top speed is suppose to be more around the original speeds, but i can get there faster. :wav:

Havent tried to max out though...so I wouldn't know just what the speed is yet.

Now as for wheelies...I did get my front end up higher and rode a good 60 feet on power wheelie...so i'll have to play more to see what happens, but it definintely helped! I'll try a clutch one tomorrow

Craxican

O...these are the some pics...the first one is the new sprocket...I went with "GOLD" because I thought it would be close to the yellow...that's what I get for thinking, but I like it...Ill take some pics tomorrow morning of the whole bike so yall can see. At least you can tell that it has been changed.

The others are the images of the R1 flushmounts in use that I promised forever ago:spank:. The "low" light is just the running and the "high" with the actual strobe going.

OTTF

O...these are the some pics...the first one is the new sprocket...I went with "GOLD" because I thought it would be close to the yellow...that's what I get for thinking, but I like it...Ill take some pics tomorrow morning of the whole bike so yall can see. At least you can tell that it has been changed.

The others are the images of the R1 flushmounts in use that I promised forever ago:spank:. The "low" light is just the running and the "high" with the actual strobe going.
Which company did you go with on the sprocket? Looks good btw.

njdan

Let me make sure I have this right, you did a 520 sprocket front and rear. front being -1 and the rear +2 is this correct?

cavcuz05

did you have to change the chain?

cbzdel

according to the gearing commander, a -1/+2 setup reduces the top speed of our bikes by almost 20mph and changes your 60mph speed to around 5500rmp..

Also note that your speedo will be pretty far off, and you may want to look into a speedohealer.

Happen to have a GPS? I would really like to know how far off the speedo is, I would estimate that when it says 60 you are really only going about 52mph, but that was just a guess off the top of my head without doing any math..

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Craxican

Good job on the math guys...ok so check this out. I decided to see how far the speedo was off...as cbzdel said, the sprocket change should have dropped me 11% or approx. 20mph...so if I were doing 122mph at 11000rpm, i should now be doing about 106mph or less at 11...but I DIDN'T DROP quite that much.

My speedo said I was doing 52 and my friend signaled that he was doing 45. only a 7mph difference...or .86 ratio...plug that into my speedo and at 11000rpm it says that i'm doing 125mph (LOL) but after the ratio adjustment...i'm actually doing between 108 and 110 (not taking into account gear ratio just simple logarithms). Crazy thing is...I have a speedo healer and now I wonder if when installed, it was not set correctly and if the speed prior to the sprocket change was actually higher...also...I disconnected my auto tune for the moment and when I hook it back up the bike will fix itself to give me optimum speed, fuel economy, and torque...i'll let everyone know what happens when i get the speedohealer tuned CORRECTLY:eek: LOL

Craxican

Can hit power wheelies EARLY and keep it going until i need to shift...I might be able to clutch up a wheelie in second...I'll have to practice more...in any case...here's the daytime pictures I promised (before mods and after):cool:

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

Crax, did you buy the kit that included a chain or just the two sprockets? If no new chain did the position of the rear tire slide forward or backward and the stock chain worked out ok?

cbzdel

A piece of info for the people interested in this set up, the rear sprocket is aluminim and will wear faster than a steel one, so to extend its life you MUST keep your chain to the correct tension..

Craxican

No new chain...we already have a 520 chain so just make sure that you are buying a 520 sprocket...and as for the tire, yes the tire moved up one notch...so a huge difference, not even really noticeable, but id did move forward.

Other news...I can clutch up a wheelie in second pretty easily...haven't taken it all the way to the balance point but still gets up there...will try when I feel more comfortable...I don't like high speed wheelies

cbzdel

i gotta learn this "clutch up" way of doing it.. Because with my +1 front sprocket the highest I can get it with a fust full throttle power in first is about 6" or so, and it will hold it for about a second then I have to shift..

Craxican

there are some great videos on youtube that explain clutch ups...also...i don;t know how fast you are going, but try slowing it down...Before I did my sprocket change I was doing 20mph + wheelies...after I did the sprocket change, I can hit a full balance wheelie at 7mph and it made me think that I never actually tried slow wheelies before...clutching it up just makes it easier to get it up and keep it up...when I do a power wheelie, I have to play with the throttle a bit to ride it, clutching it up usually allows you to just leave your hand where it is (i'm also doing sitting wheelies...not tried standing ones yet