RPM @ 60mph

cbzdel

This is for the FZ6R guys since the engines are not the same..

I just read a review article saying the RPM at 60mph in 6th is 5000rpm. Is that what people are getting? In 6th at 60mph on a relatively flat freeway I am at about 5400rmp. I am 200lbs and am 6'-0" tall.

Just wondering what everyone else is at...

I

ironman

your height and weight and the amount of incline have nothing to do with this equation. When the bike is in a gear, the load on the engine may be different and the fuel consumption may be different, but the number of rpm's that deliver a given speed in a given gear will not change.

cbzdel

your height and weight and the amount of incline have nothing to do with this equation. When the bike is in a gear, the load on the engine may be different and the fuel consumption may be different, but the number of rpm's that deliver a given speed in a given gear will not change.
if you are taller and weight more you create more drag/wind resistance.. Maybe its negligible on bigger bikes but in the 50cc world, if you tuck your arms and legs in you can gain 3-4 mph on your top speed... The RPMs stay the same but your creating less resistance.. But like I said I am guessing its negliable with these bigger bikes.. The same would go for incline, if you are going uphill more load is being put onto the engine, and the max RPM would be the same but the top speed would be reduced..

if I am wrong please correct me because I want to understand all this the best I can.

I

ironman

You are now riding a geared bike. Each gear is a fixed ratio. X (rpms of motor) multiplied by Y (reduction ratio of the chosen FIXED gear) = Z (tire rpm)

Z (tire rpm) multiplied by C (circumference of rear tire) = speed.

This is not a CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE transmission. Incline, height, and weight may have some impact on the top end speed of the motorcycle, but not the speed at a given RPM in a given gear.

cbzdel

Ok that makes since.. Thanks for giving me some more info..

I am slowly getting it :thumbup: