Reserve Fuel Tank

Edd

This feels like a stupid question and probably is...

I've read the manual and I'm still not clear on how the fuel reserve works.

I should have a 17.3 litre tank, yet when I get down to a flashing single line, I'm only putting in 11-12 litres when I fill it back up. The fuel reserve should be another 3.2lites, however there's no switch to enable it. Does it just kick in automatically? Does the light flash for the whole last 1/3 of the tank?!

Anyone shed any light on this for me? :)

MikeN02

This feels like a stupid question and probably is...

I've read the manual and I'm still not clear on how the fuel reserve works.

I should have a 17.3 litre tank, yet when I get down to a flashing single line, I'm only putting in 11-12 litres when I fill it back up. The fuel reserve should be another 3.2lites, however there's no switch to enable it. Does it just kick in automatically? Does the light flash for the whole last 1/3 of the tank?!

Anyone shed any light on this for me? :)
Yes it does "kick in automatically". Let this be known that not all gas gauges on motorcycles show exactly how much gas you have. It's an estimate, back in the old days you used to have to count your miles and even in todays standard some motorcycles don't even have gas gauges.

17.3 liters converts to about 4.5 gallons so yes that is about the average that tank that any motorcycle will hold. You save a lot on gas but you have to fill up more is the term.

Depending on when the bike sensors when you have low gas, it'll start the reserve fuel. The bike will beep, your last bar of gas will blink, and it will start counting how many miles you do on your "F-Trip". Reserve gas is usually .9 gallons. .9 US gallons = 3.40687061 liter

Depending on how you ride, could be 43 miles a gallon so a little under 43.

Edd

Thanks Mike, that seems to be what is happening, just wanted some confirmation, it's all new to me!

It's about 35 miles to work for me and there's not an easy accessible fuel stop inbetween, so it's nice to know I'll not have to worry too much if my fuel light starts blinking!

MikeN02

Thanks Mike, that seems to be what is happening, just wanted some confirmation, it's all new to me!

It's about 35 miles to work for me and there's not an easy accessible fuel stop inbetween, so it's nice to know I'll not have to worry too much if my fuel light starts blinking!
in old carb bikes before fuel injection you had to turn on the fuel. the switches were on, off, and reserve. nowadays on fi bikes u dont have to worry about that or choking it. fine-c. fuel, ignition, neutral, engine, choke. as soon as the reserve comes on u should fine a gas station asap. most i ever ran on reserve is 16 mi. sucks to have to push it

redwing-2001

in old carb bikes before fuel injection you had to turn on the fuel. the switches were on, off, and reserve. nowadays on fi bikes u dont have to worry about that or choking it. fine-c. fuel, ignition, neutral, engine, choke. as soon as the reserve comes on u should fine a gas station asap. most i ever ran on reserve is 16 mi. sucks to have to push it
you are right. We are still using FINE-C but moving toward Clutch instead of choke. It's all about habits.