rear brake caliper

bmw675

I took my rear wheel off today to get a new tire put on. btw, it was not near as difficult as i thought it would be. However when i went to put it back on, i may have ran into a problem.

the rear brake is bolted in with the axle (torqued) and the retainer on the swingarm sits in the caliper bracket (7-41 in manual). while on the stand, if i spin the rear wheel backwards and hit the brake, and caliper seems to have a little slop (in the retainer tab) and rotates up a fraction before stopping the wheel. If i then rotate it forwards and do the same, the caliper goes back down/forward and grabs. doesn't seem normal to me, but you only hit the brake going forward, so maybe i've never noticed it.

Hope this makes sense to everyone, if not, i'll put out the video camera.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I think what you are observing is normal (or to be expected). You can't torque the axle nut tight enough to prevent a little movement in the caliper bracket without binding up the wheel and bearings. At least that is my thought. I never actually checked when I had my rear wheel off, but I imagine it happened with mine as well.