Rain riding tips & tires?

bobski

I just did a search and read a thread on rain riding tips but if I was reading the dates on these posts correctly, the thread is from way back on 2007! I've read about the obvious things like reducing speed, complete slowing down well before corners, smooth on the brakes and throtel, don't lean any more than absolutely necessary, etc.. Anyways, my question here is: are the stock tires (I have a 2009 FZ6R) ok/good in the rain, or is it recommended to upgrade or change the tires to some other brand/model that would be better in the rain. Just seems to me that it's the tires that are the key element in making a bike ok or not as far as road traction on wet roads is concerned .. and that's really what the concern is in the rain isn't it?

raven6

when I had my FZ6R the stock tires worked fine for me in the wet... used to ride home from work, 30-40 min ride, in some pretty heavy rain and never had issues with them... sometimes wish I had them on the ZX6R when water falls from the sky...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Dart is exactly right, well put! No tire protects you from the elements, BUT IMO The road 3 is by far the best tire Ive seen and used on a bike in the rain. It was impeccable every ride ive had in it!

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

I just did a search and read a thread on rain riding tips but if I was reading the dates on these posts correctly, the thread is from way back on 2007! I've read about the obvious things like reducing speed, complete slowing down well before corners, smooth on the brakes and throtel, don't lean any more than absolutely necessary, etc.. Anyways, my question here is: are the stock tires (I have a 2009 FZ6R) ok/good in the rain, or is it recommended to upgrade or change the tires to some other brand/model that would be better in the rain. Just seems to me that it's the tires that are the key element in making a bike ok or not as far as road traction on wet roads is concerned .. and that's really what the concern is in the rain isn't it?
Any painted road surface is a skating rink, very dangerous. When you accelerate over a crosswalk you'll watch your tack go to the red line pretty fast.:eek: