Racing no more???

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

Bad news if you are racing fan, great news if you buy Yamaha street bikes. Yamaha's street bikes were suffering because of the racing homologation rules. They were selling us street bikes that weren't ideal for the street, optimized for the track.

One of two things will happen because of this now.

1) Yamaha drops from racing and will release an R6 that is much more suyited to street riding (more low end torque, less peaky, etc.)

or

2) Because of such a huge withdrawal, and the threat of more like it from other major manufacturers, a change in the homologation standards. And if that happens Yammy stays in racing.

Fact is, all of the manufacturers admit that the old standard of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" no longer applies in today's market, and they have to change. Racing may drive technology, but when you have to sell race bikes as your street bikes because of the stupid homologation rules (written for an era long past), you lose at the cash register.
Have to disagree here:

1) buying public doesn't want a water downed R6, they want pure race.

2) other manufacturers could care less if Yami leaves, it's less competition.

the exact opposite happens - progress in street bikes suffer because the lack of race bike development that trickles down to the street. Yami's top bike, R1, is much more closer to WSBK, than it ever will be to MotoGP. Seems like Yami thinks they will get more advertisement from GP, than SuperBike, which is true.

Ducati sells street bikes to support/pay their race efforts. While their jap. counter-parts race to sell street bikes.

Either way it's sad, Yami is only 2nd to Honda and they feel the $ need to withdrawal. Suprised Suz. is even still trying in MotoGP, and Kawi is just too small to afford it.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

Sales figures and customer feedback says otherwise. The manufacturers themselves have been acknowledging this problem for a few years now.
can you quote any such claims from manufacturers, or customers?

I'd believe the economy and high MSRP of bikes are driving sales down across most makes/models, not just super-sport specific.

To fill gaps in customer demand, they make new models, like our FZ6R. If Yami drew back on R6 development, then the rest would continue and disappointing mag tests/ride reviews would kill sales even further.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

dcBear78

World Superbike still exists? It seems in the last 10 odd years it has really lost it to MotoGP. It certainly doesn't get the exposure it used to (well not here in Oz anyway.)

You can find similar comments in reviews of the Triumph Daytona 675R in several other magazines, such as FastBikes July edition, where they point out that engineering for street, and totally eschewing racing, has lead to a superior street bike and track bike for non-professional, weekend warriors.
I like this comment and agree with it wholeheartedly. The Daytona is my dream bike because it is such a good bike. Race results have no bearing on me as to which bike I like. Nor am I manufacturer loyal.

Last edited:

linkgt

I don't follow WSB anyways.. It does suck they are pulling out tho. I follow motoGP and AMA over WSB
I just got into motorcycle racing this year. I started with motoGP and got into WSBK last month. I downloaded all the 2011 races and have now caught up. I GUARANTEE YOU that WSBK has better "racing". Dont get me wrong, motogp is the pinnacle of racing, but i feel that they are too "strategical" for lack of a better word when racing (and for good reason) and sometimes it gets a bit boring. However in WSBK these guys really race hard and put a lot of effort in order to move ahead in positions during the race. It really is insane how they race in WSBK compared to MotoGP. I never got into AMA because it's either canceled, or I just forget to watch it on Speed. Also a lot of riders of MotoGP come from WSBK, seriously get into it! you wont be disappointed!

Last edited:

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

SAFE-T

A lot of riders of MotoGP come from WSBK
Not really. Colin Edwards and Ben Spies are the only successful MotoGP riders that did World Superbike. Most Grand Prix talent comes up through the world ranks riding in 250cc where corner speed is more important. This may change once MotoGP makes the change back to liter displacement engines again in 2012.

On the other hand, there have been lots of former Grand Prix riders in WSBK over the years:

Pier Francesco Chili
Max Biaggi
Troy Corser
Carlos Checa
Marco Melandri
Noriyuki Haga
Scott Russell
Neil Hodgson

Last edited: