Questions about coolant flush

jgelack

I'm about to do my first coolant flush on the bike and have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about using Engine Ice, would this be ok even though the owners manual recommends a glycol based coolant? I've also heard to flush with 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar, others say to just use the water, which do you think is better? And last, can someone tell me what the torque is for the coolant drain plug. I really appreciate any advice you can give me.

tractorboy

I flushed mine a couple of years ago with that ENGINE ICE and thats fine. been running it last 3 seasons. It works fine but I dont see any cut down in temps as they claim/say.

Being in PA I would NOT USE water due to freezing. Again Engine ice decent product and im using it currently. took about the whole bottle....have a little left in case I ever need it so that was cool.

good luck

jgelack

I flushed mine a couple of years ago with that ENGINE ICE and thats fine. been running it last 3 seasons. It works fine but I dont see any cut down in temps as they claim/say.

Being in PA I would NOT USE water due to freezing. Again Engine ice decent product and im using it currently. took about the whole bottle....have a little left in case I ever need it so that was cool.

good luck
Yeah, I've heard some people are getting maybe 10 degrees lower temps, using Engine Ice, while some report no change, we'll see. I like that it's non toxic, since I have a dog. No!, I'd never run straight water, unless I was tracking the bike.

Chucker

Torque spec for the drain plug is 10Nm (1.0m-kgf, 7.2 ft-lbf).

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

tho9504

good luck
I changed my coolant last year to Engine Ice as well. I didn't see any difference in temperature as well. I drained the coolant and flushed with distilled water till it started to come out clear and then pour engine ice.

I live in PA (bucks county near northeast philly border) as well..

The one thing i did notice on their website FAQ was a question of "how often do i need to change it?"
A: Most every coolant product will work best when changed somewhat regularly…at minimum, we’d recommend once a year. For racing applications, we actually recommend twice per year.

1 year seems a little too soon??

The manual says to flush every two years. I just used regular coolant. It's not going to get any colder than the temp that thermostat closes at anyway.

jgelack

I changed my coolant last year to Engine Ice as well. I didn't see any difference in temperature as well. I drained the coolant and flushed with distilled water till it started to come out clear and then pour engine ice.

I live in PA (bucks county near northeast philly border) as well..

The one thing i did notice on their website FAQ was a question of "how often do i need to change it?"
A: Most every coolant product will work best when changed somewhat regularly…at minimum, we’d recommend once a year. For racing applications, we actually recommend twice per year.

1 year seems a little too soon??
I wasn't aware they recommend changing it yearly. That does seem a little soon. I figured every two years was pretty much a standard.