Potholes

MNDZA

I just started riding this season and I was wondering about potholes. I usually avoid them, but a couple times I've hit some pretty bad ones. It shook the whole bike, but I held on tight and everything was fine. My question is why are they so dangerous as people say? Shouldn't you be fine if you just hold on and keep it straight? Another rider on a different forum said he hit a pothole and laid the bike down...why?

cbzdel

depends on the size of the pot hole and how you are riding, there is one in my area that is about 8" deep and 18" foot in diameter, if I hit that I am pretty sure it would F me up haha....

Then think about hitting on while you are taking a hard corner..

Not sure on your area but they are bar in mine and you DO NOT want to hit them..

MNDZA

Wow.....yeah I never thought of the big ones...only the small, annoying ones. Remember the Simpsons monorail episode. They show the street that needs repairs and a car just disappears into the pothole.:rof:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
If you go straight over a small one, it should be okay. However, if you are slightly off-center to the pothole, it may cause the front tire to dive one direction or the other. If traveling fast enough, this could cause the bike to be laid down.

Also, if you hit one that's deep enough, you could actually bend and damage the rim causing a flat tire.

B

blitzcraig

Wow.....yeah I never thought of the big ones...only the small, annoying ones. Remember the Simpsons monorail episode. They show the street that needs repairs and a car just disappears into the pothole.:rof:
marge: i have someone here who can help you!
homer: is it batman?
marge: no, he's a scientist.
homer: batman's a scientist.
marge: it's NOT BATMAN!

PVD_FZ6R

The potholes in Providence are so bad I sometimes feel like I'm competing in the Moto X Games. Even some manholes are pretty deep and can be dangerous. I simply try to avoid them as much as I can.

Having the ability to quickly maneuver your bike out of the way from potholes, debris, etc... is a skill all riders should have. The other day a 3' piece of 2x4 was on the road and a truck in front of me went to avoid it but clipped it sending it into the air and towards me in the next lane - luckily I was paying attention and was able to take evasive action narrowly missing the air born piece. You just never know.

fz6rwolf

Yeah, Providence has horrid potholes. I live Branch Ave, Admiral Ave area and everywhere your dodging those things.

xplodnstar

Funny. Sometimes when I hit the RPMs just right the bike has the quiet sound like I'm riding a monorail and that's exactly what comes to my mind, that episode.

Monorail!

MNDZA

Monorail!!!! Monorail!!!! Monorail!!!!!!!! Mono.....DOH!