NJ Motorcycle permit?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

danieljardim

Does NJ still give out motorcycle permits? I only ask because it's no longer a requirement on the MSF BRC to have a permit before coming to the class, that was changed late last year, prior to the change a permit was required. I would like to know so I can start riding before I take the course, guess I'll have to go to the dmv, unless someone knows the answer? Thanks!
Yes they do, but i think you have to ride with somebody following you (car or bike).

don't you have a license yet?

I did my test on a automatic scooter. I called this lady, we met 2 hours before test, i rode the scooter around the course, did the test and passed. Paid the lady 100 bucks. (detail: never rode a bike on the street before test, only on my backyard.).

After I got my license I kept riding around the neighborhood to learn better.

applejax

They got rid of requirement for the permit because the written test that MSF makes you take covers the same/more information that the DMVpermit test would have covered.

But, yes, you can still get a permit. NJ laws says with a permit you can still drive with any licensed motorcyclist.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

danieljardim

I'd like to get some riding time in before I go take the course. The problem I see is that they require you to schedule an exam at the DMV and everything else when you go to get the permit. The rules have changed a lot apparently.
I only got my license about 2 years ago.

What I did I schedule the test for like 2 months in advance.

You can go on the dmv website later and change the date of the test as many times as you want.

Actually I gave my information to the lady and she re schedule my test to Wayne and to the date that she had available. (I keep saying the lady but she has a driving/riding school, is not just a shady lady doing business from a dark alley)

She told me wayne was the easiest place and everybody was friendly there.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

applejax

I'd like to get some riding time in before I go take the course. The problem I see is that they require you to schedule an exam at the DMV and everything else when you go to get the permit. The rules have changed a lot apparently.
Your permit allows you to ride with another licensed motorcyclist!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member