MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

EsrTek

Reading that makes no sense
the parallel-twin will not technically feature a crossplane crankshaft, but will be considered part of the family by Yamaha, presumably because, like the engine block featured in the FZ-09
If not a crossplane crankshaft, how is it "part of the family" and how does the triple cyl engine have to do with the twin being part of that family???
Next thing the Dirt bike lines w/ be in the "crossplane, w/o actually having crossplane, family"
Sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo..

Alex6

If not a crossplane crankshaft, how is it "part of the family" and how does the triple cyl engine have to do with the twin being part of that family???
Next thing the Dirt bike lines w/ be in the "crossplane, w/o actually having crossplane, family"
Meh, someone attempted to write about something he seems like doesn't know that much...

ksanbon

From what I've read, the crossplane concept deals with uneven firing orders in order to increase traction. I don't know how it works, but I do know that a 120-degree crankshaft on a 4-stroke triple will give you 2 power-strokes during one revolution and 1 during the other.

EsrTek

Thanks for that.. I been looking since that post and I had simply thought "crossplane" referred to the piston configuration. I don't know engines, but basically the wide V shape of engine is what I thought it was.

ksanbon

Thanks for that.. I been looking since that post and I had simply thought "crossplane" referred to the piston configuration. I don't know engines, but basically the wide V shape of engine is what I thought it was.
I have to apologize because I did't give you a complete answer. The difference in the engine is in the crankshaft. Here's an explanation....
Crossplane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The triple won't need any crankshaft changes. If the twin is really going to be a crossplane, Yamaha will change the crank. If not, then they're using the term for marketing.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member