New Rider

Dmac122383

Hello everyone,
I'm new to riding, I just started a few weeks ago. The bike i'm riding is an 06 Kawasaki ninja 250 that my buddy gave to me, its great riding but I really think I need something bigger and nicer looking

So after I take my MSF course and get my license, I'm going to go take a 09 FZ6R for a test drive. I love the look of the bike and the sitting position.

Any tips or other bikes I should look into before buying a FZ6R

The bike is $5700 for a brand new raven 09

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone,
I'm new to riding, I just started a few weeks ago. The bike i'm riding is an 06 Kawasaki ninja 250 that my buddy gave to me, its great riding but I really think I need something bigger and nicer looking

So after I take my MSF course and get my license, I'm going to go take a 09 FZ6R for a test drive. I love the look of the bike and the sitting position.

Any tips or other bikes I should look into before buying a FZ6R

The bike is $5700 for a brand new raven 09
Welcome to the forum! You can't go wrong with the FZ6R, and for that price, you are practically stealing it! :thumbup:

WarEagle07

I started on an 06 250 ninja and I tell you what I dont regret taking my time learning on the 250. Dont rush on getting a bigger bike. Once your ready you cant go wrong with the FZ6R.

MikeN02

I started on an 06 250 ninja and I tell you what I dont regret taking my time learning on the 250. Dont rush on getting a bigger bike. Once your ready you cant go wrong with the FZ6R.
+1 I don't regret starting on a Ninja 500 either, if anything I'm glad that I did.

Depends on your skill and confidence in yourself, are you ready to handle a 600cc Fuel Injected New Bike? Because it's not as bad if you go down on an old bike than a brand new one.

I would continue to ride the 250 for a couple months to see what type of rider you are, I thought the Ninja 500 would be good enough for me but it wasn't.

There are different types of people, from track racers, stunters, gas savers, or touring. You also have to seat on different bikes to see if you feel comfortable on it or not.

Dmac122383

I've riden an 09 r6 which was very quick I didnt like the seating position and I think that is too much bike for me now lol

The fz6r is very comfortable and I like the upright position of it, I will probally wait a 2 months or so before buying it.

I'm just sick of people asking how it is riding a moped aka ninja 250 lol

But riding is fun, the 3rd time I rode it, I was out for about 6-7 hours and didnt want to stop, cant wait till the weather gets nice again. been raining for the past week

Thanks for the info guys

MikeN02

I've riden an 09 r6 which was very quick I didnt like the seating position and I think that is too much bike for me now lol

The fz6r is very comfortable and I like the upright position of it, I will probally wait a 2 months or so before buying it.

I'm just sick of people asking how it is riding a moped aka ninja 250 lol

But riding is fun, the 3rd time I rode it, I was out for about 6-7 hours and didnt want to stop, cant wait till the weather gets nice again. been raining for the past week

Thanks for the info guys
If they're seriously making fun of you for riding then don't hang out with them. They aren't real riders, just to let you know... or them as well that not every bike has to be fast. As long as you're on two wheels and not in a cage then you're a biker. The Ninja 250 is a very popular bike, that's why kawasaki has remodeled it for the 2008 years and further. They race with these bikes because they have very good handling. I would say a very experienced rider would overtake an R6 in a corner on a Ninja 250 because it's so light, it can whip around corners quickly.

Like everything else, we all have to start somewhere. If they give you crap just say it's your first bike, it's not going to be your last.

If anything the price of the 2009's will drop in 2 months or so as they're trying to sell the 2010 and getting ready for production of the 2011.

Riding definitely changes you, you wouldn't notice bikes before when you were riding in a cage. Carrying around your helmet, tons of people come up and talk to you. When you get further along the addiction you research bikes on your free time and can talk about it for days to a stranger.

Detrich

Coming off MSF the FZ6R is my first bike. And as a newbie, I have to say that it's very manageable weight-wise, comfortable, and looks great...

Dealers normally don't allow test rides in my area. But, I think if you sit on it you'll be able to tell how it feels. Low end torque is good but power delivery is not explosive like the r6, which honestly for ppl like us is plenty fast.

You'll like it. :)

flyingminno

Yeah, they didn't have test rides when I was looking last year either, but I know yamaha sometimes offers a trial ride where you sign up and go out with a small group.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

stuna

riding my kids gs500, got me looking , found the 6r :D
now i have 3 bikes drz400 gl1800 fz6r . 6r is a blast . gl1800,is for long trips :D, last years trip was 4900 miles

jay

new 6r under 6k... you can not go wrong.. couple of years back i was digging for suzuki sv650, but last year when i really decided to get a bike and watched 6r on the yamaha's website, i got hooked to it, i saw it at the dealership and just by sitting on it i was sure that i want it and it's the right bike for me, they would not allow for a test ride so at the beginnig i was intimidated but then it felt so nimble, its the probably the best bike for a beginner and can be enjoyed for a long time.

M76

I bought a used ninja-500 last August. Rode it for about 1000km (600 miles) and sold it. Is that a bad thing? Quick answer: no.

I bought it used for $4500 (It was a 2008 model with only 588 kilometers on the odo). Owning that bike was a great learning experience. Like the 250, it's light, very maneuverable and quite forgiving on the throttle. I sold it a month ago for $4300, meaning I basically rented the bike for 7 months at $29 a month! Another note: I dropped it about a month after getting it. I was at a stop, lost my balance, and it fell over. Minor scratches and a bent rear brake pedal. Had this happened on my shiny new FZ6R I would have been beyond angry with myself, but I didn't really get upset.

In terms of rideability the FZ6R is pretty amazing. It's quite stable at high speeds (more than 60mph), definitely more so than my Ninja. the only caveat I offer is that the FZ's throttle is very, very touchy in comparison: i.e.: it has a LOT more torque, which could get you into a lot of trouble very quickly as a new rider.

I didn't upgrade to the FZ6R because I felt that the Ninja500 lacked power or that I'd "outgrown it". in fact, even the day I sold it I was still a bit uneasy about hitting full throttle with it. Keep in mind that a Ninja500 is still faster in the 1/4 mile than a 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX (my car) - and trust me, my subaru is scary fast. I just wanted a newer looking bike that was smoother and more comfortable.

If you can hold out, I highly recommend getting a slightly used Ninja 250 or 500, even if it's only for a few months. You can probably resell it for close to what you paid for it, and with that experience under your belt you'll probably enjoy the FZ6R a lot more...