New Fz6r 90 mile road trip??

Ride it down to Wildwood?

• Total voters

Raja77e

Hello ladies and gentlemen!! I just purchased a brand new Yamaha FZ6r two days ago and I am loving it! It is my first bike and has been great for all of the 70 miles I've driven it. So I know there is a break in period but I was wondering if it would be wise to take down to wildwood from philly on about a 90 mile trip this soon. I am pretty confident on the bike and have taken the msf course my only worry is hurting the bike by taking it on a trip like that this soon. Some people say do it and just don't ride in the same rev range but others say don't. I'm leaning towards leavin at home I fear of messing up the engine but I'm also really excited about the opportunity to ride it down. What do you guys think??

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Brent27

There are so many theories out there on break in, my FZ6R is my first bike too so I can tell you what I did.

I went by the manual. It says not to exceed 5750 rpm or something (correct me if I'm wrong) for the first 600 miles. At typical highway speeds I'd be cruising at over 6k rpm in top gear. This worked out for me anyways though since I was a new rider I wanted to get my confidence up before heading on the highways. I commuted to work and rode it all over the place in my area and the 600 miles went by quickly while boosting my confidence. I'm right at 2k miles and highway riding is now no biggy. Win-win for me. I'd be at much more miles now and would have hit 600 miles sooner if it wasn't so horribly rainy in Ohio for most of the summer. We've just had some relief the past few weeks. I have no qualms riding in the rain but due to lack of experience I wanted to slowly work myself into adverse conditions.

That's what worked for me.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Brent27

no no no!!!!
read it again, it says no prolonged operations above xxx rpms, doesn't say don't exceed. You want to get it up through the rpm ranges
Thanks, I forgot to put in that part. That's why I avoided highways as revs would be above 6k rpms in top gear. I did a few short highway stints but never to long because I wasn't confident enough for the highway and "prolonged" is awfully vague.

I didn't exceed 6k rpms often at all the firs lt 1200 miles or so. Not because I was worried about break-in or anything but being my first motorcycle I was just not used to higher revving. Being a car guy all my life I'm used to comparatively lower revving engines and my ear would always tell me to shift on the motorcycle early. My car now has a V8 and redlines only at 5800 rpm so it was a big adjustment.

Now on the bike I naturally keep it at 6k-ish rpms most of the time unless I'm cruising at a constant speed and keep the revs lower for fuel economy.

Raja77e

Thanks for all the advice guys! I have decided not to take it down this soon. I want this bike to stay in really good shape and I don't want to mess up the engine taking it on a 90 mile trip this early. I haven't done anything past the 6000 rpm range and the bike is breaking in pretty well so far. Thanks again.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member