Need tips for Blocking single lane

dawg

Hey Everyone,

I'm a new rider and one thing I have noticed is that when I'm in a single lane and riding on the left hand side... I have had 2 cars (on different occasions) pass me on the right side in the same lane!

Could it be that I'm too far left, should I be on the right side? The thing with the right side is that I would be nervous about animals jumping out on the country roads with little opportunity to react.

I'm doing the speed limit but all these damn cagers are still eager to pass me.

Thanks,
Kevin

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Brock Kickass

How far left are you? I'm usually right in the center of the left tire-track on a single lane road. If I'm on a two lane, I sit on the right tire-track if in the left-hand lane; on the left if in the right-hand lane. That mostly comes from years of driving a cage and remembering the times I didn't notice bikes until I was close on them were when they rode to the outside of their lane. They just seem to blend in to the stuff on the edges. Bikes make a more assertive "this is my lane, everyone" statement to me when they are more to the inside.

I haven't had any trouble getting passed on the right, though I did have one guy pull up beside me in my lane at a stop sign and then give me the oddest, angriest look when I pulled away and went straight instead of turning. I'm not sure how he though I was turning left when I didn't have my signal on and the lane said it was straight only.
See my "Road Raging Cager" post regarding this problem...

blkbrd

Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

ChUcK

Don't go so slow. If your speedo has the same %error as the rest of us, then you're going under the speed limit.

I also don't think you should be adhering to such a rigid set of rules when riding. Safe riding takes flexibility and creativity. Also, if an animal is going to jump out into the road it won't matter where you are in the lane because the animal has no idea what's going on and is unpredictable at best.

Whatever the case may be, if the way you're driving is causing cagers to take such drastic, dangerous actions, then you should probably adjust. I always try to be moving slightly faster then the flow of traffic. I feel much safer passing cagers than the other way around. 12 years and no problem.

dawg

Don't go so slow. If your speedo has the same %error as the rest of us, then you're going under the speed limit.

I also don't think you should be adhering to such a rigid set of rules when riding. Safe riding takes flexibility and creativity. Also, if an animal is going to jump out into the road it won't matter where you are in the lane because the animal has no idea what's going on and is unpredictable at best.

Whatever the case may be, if the way you're driving is causing cagers to take such drastic, dangerous actions, then you should probably adjust. I always try to be moving slightly faster then the flow of traffic. I feel much safer passing cagers than the other way around. 12 years and no problem.
Good point but I was actually going a little over the speed limit, it wasn't like I was riding like an old lady. Plus I could only go so fast since I'm still breaking in the bike. But I do think that I need to adjust my riding and not be so rigid.. it is a learning experience for me since I'm new to this.

Crocop43

do what i did, i went all james bond......i attached a compartment that shoots oil out of the back of my bike that makes the road slick or flammable....then i have another button that shoots a flare on the road for the kaboom effect.....and if all else fails i attached machine guns to the front with another button ......starting to think though i shouldnt have put it next to the horn......but hey ive only shot 3 people trying to honk the horn. people are such cry babies when they get shot......." oh my god, you shot me...im bleeeeeding im bleeding." people cant even take a small scratch these days.......

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Crocop43

:rof:

you could save some weight, lose the flare, just run the engine a little on the rich side:
*rubbing chin* hmmmmmm

Wheres Lucious Fox when u need him.....

AngryAnt

Does anybody else have the problem when you're stopped at a red light / stop sign, even when you're just barely left of center, some @$$hat goes out of his way to pull his car up beside you?

Scares the crap out of me every time because they're so close they're either about to scrape my bike with their car or almost run over my feet. I've started being more towards the right when I come to a stop just to keep people from doing this.

Crocop43

Does anybody else have the problem when you're stopped at a red light / stop sign, even when you're just barely left of center, some @$$hat goes out of his way to pull his car up beside you?

Scares the crap out of me every time because they're so close they're either about to scrape my bike with their car or almost run over my feet. I've started being more towards the right when I come to a stop just to keep people from doing this.
No, I don't have this problem see my above post as to why

Detrich

It happens to me all the time. Some drivers are just assholes. Plus when I stare them down they are too chicken to make eye contact... Damn cowards.

Sparkxx1

I agree with this, I'm always travelling slightly faster than the cagers. Just not too fast cuz I've had cagers change lanes where everyones doing 70 and the cager that just changed is going like 30.

Another thing is watch out for angry cagers. I merged into the left lane once and the cager basically tried to kill me because I got in front of him. It was a two lane road so I said fuck this. I sped up and lane split to a 3 car distance away from him. He sill had the audacity to try and speed up and keep trying to be an idiot. Just be careful with the crazies

Sparkxx1

do what i did, i went all james bond......i attached a compartment that shoots oil out of the back of my bike that makes the road slick or flammable....then i have another button that shoots a flare on the road for the kaboom effect.....and if all else fails i attached machine guns to the front with another button ......starting to think though i shouldnt have put it next to the horn......but hey ive only shot 3 people trying to honk the horn. people are such cry babies when they get shot......." oh my god, you shot me...im bleeeeeding im bleeding." people cant even take a small scratch these days.......
I've heard of a bike that squirts oil behind them, aiming towards the windshield.

Soapartist

Hey Everyone,

I'm a new rider and one thing I have noticed is that when I'm in a single lane and riding on the left hand side... I have had 2 cars (on different occasions) pass me on the right side in the same lane!

Could it be that I'm too far left, should I be on the right side? The thing with the right side is that I would be nervous about animals jumping out on the country roads with little opportunity to react.

I'm doing the speed limit but all these damn cagers are still eager to pass me.

Thanks,
Kevin

I've had people pass me a couple of times, I chalk it up to being on an island with a single lane traffic to get on or off the island, and people getting crazy because they didn't leave home early enough to get where they need to be, or they gotta get home for??
I keep a close eye on all traffic in all directions at all times. I watch traffic behind me as well as in front of me.
If someone is riding my ass for too long, I pull off and let them pass.
I've had people tail me so dang close even when I'm 15 over (including the speedometer correction). It's not worth them running you over.
I think they should make everyone get a motorcycle license first, and then have to go take more drivers ed to get endorsed to drive a car :Sport:
It would make most people watch traffic more closely.