High-Visibility Vest

Senaca

Any riders here wear one of the reflective greenish/yellow or orange?

I have found to be very much more visible riding with one.

Sen

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't wear the reflective vest, but I do have a bright yellow Cortech jacket that has reflective piping and seems to do a pretty good job at keeping me visible. :thumbup:

Sen
Howdy! I'm pretty much required to wear one.....or a bright colored shirt! Military standard! I think it is a good idea, but if we have a riding jacket that isn't bright colored, we have to wear the vest over the jacket! I think that is retarded! I don't even wear my jacket now cause of that rule! I just wear a long sleeve shirt and the vest!

cbzdel

mbridge51

Sen
I wear a high visibility jacket made by Olympia. It has good shoulder and elbow armor in it. I took the standard foam back pad out and put in a Dainese back protector.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but hopefully it increases the chances other drivers will see me. At dusk it looks like it is glowing in the dark.

Attachments

Senaca

I believe it makes a huge difference. Around here, most people probably think I'm a cop out of the corner of their eye. When I drive/ride, I find it hard to NOT look at a high-visibility jacket/vest.

PS... At first, I thought that your mailbox was some massive accessory off the back of your fender... ahh.. need sleep..

Senaca :canada:

mbridge51

I believe it makes a huge difference. Around here, most people probably think I'm a cop out of the corner of their eye. When I drive/ride, I find it hard to NOT look at a high-visibility jacket/vest.

PS... At first, I thought that your mailbox was some massive accessory off the back of your fender... ahh.. need sleep..

Senaca :canada:
The mailbox does look like some kind of homemade rocket launcher accessory.

zig308

I'm looking at getting the Olympia Hi-Viz jacket as well. Anyone have a favorite online retailer with good deals?

Verranth

I'm looking at getting the Olympia Hi-Viz jacket as well. Anyone have a favorite online retailer with good deals?
Kneedraggers.com and NewEnough.com seem to be good places. I havent puchased anything from NE, but others have and all seem positive. Kneedraggers has been good to me, but I know one person on here that didnt have such a great experience. Overall though, they're not bad IMO.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

mbridge51

I'm don't know any online retailers that sell Olympia gear, but a lot of BMW motorcycle dealerships usually have Olympia gear in stock. You may be able to find one online near you and order it from them.

SoulRider

When I've been riding with my Kawi Green jacket for 1 1/2 years and I am sure that it has helped me be seen. Having a green bike helps too!
I am almost positive that these colors have helped people making left or right turns see me as I come towards them and has kept them from pulling into my path. I am almost surprised when they DON'T pull out!
I would be willing to bet that if I were wearing all black I would not have been so lucky all this time.
I cannot understand why black is still the most popular color of both bikes and gear...

Roaddawg

Yesterday, I wore my obnoxious green reflective vest during my commute ride home, just to see if I noticed any difference. I have to say, I kinda felt a little dorky at first with this bright green vest over my riding gear, but I noticed how many people actually saw me. Friday coming out of San Francisco can be a mess. I noticed how people seemed to move over more when I was spliting traffic and give me more room. I think I'm sold on wearing it during my commute.

Senaca

Yesterday, I wore my obnoxious green reflective vest during my commute ride home, just to see if I noticed any difference. I have to say, I kinda felt a little dorky at first with this bright green vest over my riding gear, but I noticed how many people actually saw me. Friday coming out of San Francisco can be a mess. I noticed how people seemed to move over more when I was spliting traffic and give me more room. I think I'm sold on wearing it during my commute.
My finding is that cagers give you much more respect on the road... they see you, see a responsible rider, and give you some space. :D

mbridge51

Some of the motorcycle cops I've seen are wearing hi viz vests now. When I wear my hi viz jacket, I often have people look at me and the look on their face makes me wonder if they think I am a cop.

I think the jacket is ugly, but if it helps to keep safe that's all that matters to me.

stuna

Some of the motorcycle cops I've seen are wearing hi viz vests now. When I wear my hi viz jacket, I often have people look at me and the look on their face makes me wonder if they think I am a cop.

I think the jacket is ugly, but if it helps to keep safe that's all that matters to me.
bingo! some may think its dorky :D . but being in a grill of a vehichle is PAINFULL . and thats if you make it that far