Help!!! Turn Signal Problems!!!

dustinsf81

I installed new flush mounted turn signals and a fender eliminator with new turn signals. The fronts were 2 wire plug and play while the rear had to be cut and crimped. After finshing the install I noticed that when I signal to go right, both right side signals flash at the day time running light brightness and the left sides (which should not be flashing at all) are flashing at the turn signal brightness. The same thing happens if I turn to go left.... I have unhooked the fronts and rears to see if one is causing the other to malfuction and I get the same result... I'm lost and need some help asap!!!

Thanks in advance,

Dustin

MikeN02

I installed new flush mounted turn signals and a fender eliminator with new turn signals. The fronts were 2 wire plug and play while the rear had to be cut and crimped. After finshing the install I noticed that when I signal to go right, both right side signals flash at the day time running light brightness and the left sides (which should not be flashing at all) are flashing at the turn signal brightness. The same thing happens if I turn to go left.... I have unhooked the fronts and rears to see if one is causing the other to malfuction and I get the same result... I'm lost and need some help asap!!!

Thanks in advance,

Dustin
Sounds like a wiring issue to me. The rear usually doesn't have a daytime running light.

Did you tap into the tag light by accident?

dustinsf81

I marked and labeled everything as I cut the wires... I went out and took some video, I'll have it posted up soon. I did notice if I hold the right turn signal button to the right then all 4 lights flash at turn signal brightness...

Dustin

dustinsf81

No... Guess I'm gonna need one.

Heineken

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

elishatarvin

just a note for the lights. black wire is ground, blue is daytime running light.the only wire remaining will be for the respective side (ie right and left blinker) sounds to me like u got a ground wire hooked up to a "hot" wire

dustinsf81

Well I unhooked the fronts and it still gives the same problems on the rear... Then I found the signal canceller (w/running lights) that the original owner put on the bike. Does anyone know anything about these? It's made by signal minder and it says its a SM-3.

Thanks,
Dustin

dustinsf81

Here is the link to the video of the issue... Sorry the video is not very good but you get the idea of what it is doing...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNVBs51P0ws"]YouTube - FZ6R Turn Signal Issues[/ame]

Dustin

dustinsf81

So everything seems to be wired correctly. This signal canceller has to be the problem. I checked the FAQ's and found this below...

Q: I have everything hooked-up and every option seems to be working.
However, occasionally when I switch the right turn on, the left turn flashes
once or twice and then the right turn starts. Also sometimes it gets into the
4-Way flash mode even though I only used the right turn switch. Does this
unit have a mind of it’s own?

A: You most likely have a SINGLE dash indicator on your bike. It is acting
like a bridge between the right and left channels. If you remove the
instrument style bulb of the dash indicator, this interaction will go away. You
can replace that incandescent bulb with a 12V LED equivalent.

So, my next question would be, how hard is it to get the the signal indicator bulb on our bikes?

Thanks,
Dustin

6R Blackout

Even if everything seems to be wired correctly and looks good there could still be a wire crossed somewhere that you may be overlooking, or you could have wires touching (usually if wires touch you will blow a fuse trust me I did it) anyway I agree with an earlier thread you may have a grounding issue and a wire crossed Always emember black to black if you have a yellow wire on your flushie side it should be connected to the brown wire from the bike. Good luck

elishatarvin

So everything seems to be wired correctly. This signal canceller has to be the problem. I checked the FAQ's and found this below...

Q: I have everything hooked-up and every option seems to be working.
However, occasionally when I switch the right turn on, the left turn flashes
once or twice and then the right turn starts. Also sometimes it gets into the
4-Way flash mode even though I only used the right turn switch. Does this
unit have a mind of it’s own?

A: You most likely have a SINGLE dash indicator on your bike. It is acting
like a bridge between the right and left channels. If you remove the
instrument style bulb of the dash indicator, this interaction will go away. You
can replace that incandescent bulb with a 12V LED equivalent.

So, my next question would be, how hard is it to get the the signal indicator bulb on our bikes?

Thanks,
Dustin
i would remove the signal canceler first just to make sure the dash indicator problem is the right diagnosis. i guarantee that will be easier than changing the dash indicator to LED. and if the problem still persists then u know it is a wiring issue (which i still seem to lean towards, but i have absolutely no experience with the cancelers)

dustinsf81

Well, I checked over all the wiring and everything is correct. It has to be the signalminder... The previous owner removed the relay when installing the signal canceller so I now longer have it to return it back to stock. Has anyone replaced the bulb in the speedo?

Thanks,
Dustin