Grip Pupppies

Roaddawg

I'd like to give a quick review of the "Grip Puppies". Grip Puppies are a foam sleeve (a neoprene type material) that slides over your existing handlebar grips to provide more cushion and help to reduce vibrations. I bought them online for $10.61 delivered and installed them this weekend.

To install them, I just sprayed soapy water on the inside of the sleeve and on the grips. I them had to then work them over the grips. Takes about 5-10 minutes to install on both. Once the water dries, they don't twist around. They do add quite a bit of thickness (or girth) to the grips. If you have small hands, these would feel way too big. I have big hands and it still felt like I was holding onto soda cans. (They're not that big, but feel that way to me).

Now for the test drive...I rode into work today on my hour long, 50 mile commute. I was not impressed with them for a couple reasons. Due to the girth, my hands crapped in different ways then normally. (Normally, the base of my palms will feel a little sore after my ride into work, but nothing terrible, due to me leaning a little more on my hands then I should.) More so, my thumbs were sore because of the increase span of my grip on the grips.

Another reason I was not fond of them is, because of their thickness, I felt less control on/connection to the handlebars, especially when I had to split traffic and maneuver around. Basically, it just felt too big and thick for gripping, and took some of my confidence away. I can't really recommend these. I wish I would have spent the same money on new gel grips. The product itself is good and as described, but just not for me. Lesson learned. Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying these.

One more thing... FS: Grip Puppies, $5 plus shipping. Practically brand-new. Used once for only 50 miles. Custom cut for FZ6R. :p

creggur

Good review and I have them on Alice as well. Everything you described is accurate, except I like the increased girth of the grips. To me it makes the bars feel more substantial and I keep a lighter grip than before.

I know it's subjective, but now I don't like riding without them....

owldaddy

I tried them on my BMW, due to the numb right hand syndrome. They took care of that problem. When I bought the 6R the stock grips felt weird because they were not big enough. I have them on both bikes now. I like the wide grip because I have arthritis and they help a lot with control. It is one of those things that once you get used to them, you will always have them.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

You know...I was thinking more about it today, and maybe I just need to try it for a week or so. I've heard a lot of good reviews, that's why I bought them. I guess its kind of like when you first start riding a new bike...it takes a little getting use to. It was awkward, but not dangerous, just uncomfortable. I just wasn't use to the thickness plus I'm testing them out in San Francisco commute traffic...so, it's a little more intimidating then just riding down the road. I'll give them another try, try them for a week or so, and then give another review. Then again, they might not be for everyone. Back to the soapy water...(its like squeezing a small dress on a big girl!).

Last edited:

joloy133

You know...I was thinking more about it today, and maybe I just need to try it for a week or so. I've heard a lot of good reviews, that's why I bought them. I guess its kind of like when you first start riding a new bike...it takes a little getting use to. It was awkward, but not dangerous, just uncomfortable. I just wasn't use to the thickness plus I'm testing them out in San Francisco commute traffic...so, it's a little more intimidating then just riding down the road. I'll give them another try, try them for a week or so, and then give another review. Then again, they might not be for everyone. Back to the soapy water...(its like squeezing a small dress on a big girl!).
Last time I squeezed a small dress on a big girl.................I didn't have soapy water. (Wrong dress!)

creggur

If you've got a can of brake cleaner around it makes it real easy...Shoot it in, push them on, and it evaporates in about two minutes - no muss - no fuss...

k6gad

If you've got a can of brake cleaner around it makes it real easy...Shoot it in, push them on, and it evaporates in about two minutes - no muss - no fuss...
1-1-1 TriChloroEthane...I believe...don't get that on the rest of your bike. I used to use it for re-gripping my golf clubs.

Roaddawg

So, I have been riding with them for a little while and I took them off again. They are just not for me. If I was riding long miles on straight roads, they would be great. But, I just don't feel comfortable with the thick grips while riding in heavy city traffic, because I tend to grip a little more due to the tension of the environment I'm in. And, with the grips being thicker, my hands were getting cramped alot more than normal, especially around my thumbs and index fingers. So, I took them off and feel better now. Like I said...they aren't for me, but may work for others. This is just my own personal opinion and nothing about the product itself. They do give more vibration dampening and they are softer than stock, but the thickness is just too much for my personal preference. Maybe if they were half the thickness, they'd be perfect for me.

creggur

1-1-1 TriChloroEthane...I believe...don't get that on the rest of your bike. I used to use it for re-gripping my golf clubs.
I always throw a towel over the fairing when I do anything to the bike. I installed new puppies this weekend and didn't have any brake clean so I used alcohol and it worked just fine... (covered the fairing for that too)..

But been using brake cleaner for years with no adverse effects whatsoever...

toddjcruz

I had these on my bike and loved them. Ended up taking them off when I did the heated grips, but I think I'm going to order a new set and put them on. I was told they work just fine over the heated grips.

I liked the softer feel. I also liked the larger grip size, as it gives you more leverage on the throttle and for me, it stopped cramping of my hand that I get from the small grip size.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

creggur

I'm a true believer in the Grip Puppies, but obviously they aren't for everyone. Not only do they eliminate the annoying vibrations that cause the tinglies, I find that with the larger grips (which I find more comfortable) my grip is lighter on the bars and feel more in control when riding aggressively. But that's just me - everyone is different...

owldaddy

I had these on my bike and loved them. Ended up taking them off when I did the heated grips, but I think I'm going to order a new set and put them on. I was told they work just fine over the heated grips.

I liked the softer feel. I also liked the larger grip size, as it gives you more leverage on the throttle and for me, it stopped cramping of my hand that I get from the small grip size.
I use them on my BMW, which came with heated grips from the factory, they work fine.

toddjcruz

I just put mine back on over the heated grips. They were too 'spike' like in their texture anyway. Much better now.