GPS vs. Speedo

cbzdel

I seen a thread a while back about the speedo being off, but I think it may have been a FZ6.. maybe..??

I just got a handlbar mount for my gamin GPS (thank to Key Bank for the free give away!)

So I mounted the GPS to the bike and wanted to get some GPS results, so I just used a few speeds..

Speedo ---- GPS
25 -------- 24
35 -------- 33
60 -------- 55
70 -------- 68
80 -------- 77

It seems like there is not a specific percentage that it is off by, kinda seems to be all over the board BUT reading consistently high..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that seems about what mine reads. I tested it against those signs that tell you your speed. They usually put them in school zones or where the speed limit decreases a ton.

cbzdel

This difference really bugs me, because I see 60 on the speedo and want to go 60 so I dont get a ticket, then everyone is FLYING by me!!

Maybe I will just hard mount the GPS to get my speed haaha

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
This difference really bugs me, because I see 60 on the speedo and want to go 60 so I dont get a ticket, then everyone is FLYING by me!!

Maybe I will just hard mount the GPS to get my speed haaha
I usually do 5-8 over the posted speed limit. If I ever get pulled over and asked "Do you know how fast you were going?" I can honestly answer that I have no idea. lol :rolleyes:

oyamyers

I tend to just "go with the flow". Ok maybe a little bit more than the flow just to keep myself safe.

I go between 5-9 miles over the speed limit usually your safe there from any tickets while in heavy traffic.

neshi

Just got back from a 100mile trip gps said I was going 90 - 95 most of the time and the speedo said that i was doing 98 to 105!

I95/NJTP South @ 7AM in the express lane :Sport:

neshi

I usually do 5-8 over the posted speed limit. If I ever get pulled over and asked "Do you know how fast you were going?" I can honestly answer that I have no idea. lol :rolleyes:
In my experience (NY/NJ/CT) they usually say well you should have fixed that and travel with the flow of traffic! You can go to court and have the ticket reduced to malfunctioning equipment which is not a moving violation = no points! But that's a wasted day! best bet know where they are shooting and don't speed there

:thumbup::thumbup:

cbzdel

In my experience (NY/NJ/CT) they usually say well you should have fixed that and travel with the flow of traffic! You can go to court and have the ticket reduced to malfunctioning equipment which is not a moving violation = no points! But that's a wasted day! best bet know where they are shooting and don't speed there

:thumbup::thumbup:
is it considered malfunctioning equipment if it comes defective from the factory?? i dont think there is a way to change it...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
is it considered malfunctioning equipment if it comes defective from the factory?? i dont think there is a way to change it...
Isn't that what a speedo-healer is for? Although, I have no idea how they work.

neshi

It should be I've never had to test it to fight a ticket!

On hind sight though the speedo is reporting in the wrong direction you may just end up with a bigger fine!:surrender::surrender:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Did you know that an Officer asking you "Do you know how fast you were traveling?" is considered entrapment? So is "Do you know why I stopped you?"

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, they are tricky sometimes. If an officer comes to your house and asks "may I step inside?" you not only invited him into the house, but to also search the place.

The wording seems harmless, but it can open a whole can of worms. Similar to lawyers and the way they word their line of questioning. It's like a word puzzle. :p

Bigevildoer

I seen a thread a while back about the speedo being off, but I think it may have been a FZ6.. maybe..??

So I mounted the GPS to the bike and wanted to get some GPS results, so I just used a few speeds..

Speedo ---- GPS
25 -------- 24
35 -------- 33
60 -------- 55
70 -------- 68
80 -------- 77

It seems like there is not a specific percentage that it is off by, kinda seems to be all over the board BUT reading consistently high..
Hi...
I compared my speedo with a GPS, and it was consistently 8.5% high.
I'm up in Canada, so we use km/h.. for an example, 108 on the speedo is really 100 km/h. Make a little sticker at work and attached it to my dash showing a speedo/real km/h comparison.

just got sick of doing what I thought was 110 (normally that's safe and cops don't bat an eye, at 115 they'll take a look) and being tailgated...

Later!