G'Day from a newbie in every sense of the word

VRIIClubby

Well, after years and years (roughly 15years im 33 now) of saying "I'm getting a bike" I finally got my L's, that was just over two and half years ago! I still hadnt ridden a bike on the road nor had I ridden a trail bike for about 7-8 years even after the 2.5 years on my L's...

After a few horrid weeks;
1 - I whacked my family car (for those in the US - the same as a pontiac G8 but in wagon form 6.0L V8 goodness) into a gutter causing her to spend sometime in someone else's care to aid in her rehabilitation (ie - a smash repairer)
2 - As the Wagon is the Mrs's daily, she thought it would be wise to get "one" back on me, So as a result of No1 above she has been driving my Ute and decided to fill my diesel Triton with Unleaded. No biggie, not a new Tirton, my work hack, she only drove for a kay before relaising, towed it home and drained it, got her running again the next morning.
3 - I used the Ute three days later and get this massive whining noise, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, box gooooone! Find out mine has the "rarer" Alloy box which is a prick to find one, and when you do the $ is plain stupid. Truck has 320,000kms on her and rego was due, so decided to let her go. (this is where the story becomes "fun" so hang in here! lol)

rains it pours its a bloody monsoon! Talked the legend of a Wifey I have into the possibility of myself purchasing a bike, went through the pro's and con's, and got the green light to start looking! yay, now the hard part, what to buy!

Obviously still on my L's so that narrows the field down and takes away my true love of a Ducati.

Went through all the LAMS bikes, As I have no real brand bias (besides Ducati) it made the choice harder, there isnt that much seperating the LAMS bikes, I'm 6'3" @ 110kg so that narrowed the field down yet again to the following;
Honda CBR500R LAMS
Kawasaki 650
Yamaha FZ6R
Aprillia RS4
and all the variants on the above bikes - Naked, Semi naked etc.

The Honda may have won the contest if it was available in the Repsol Livery from the floor, albeit the CBR250R is... anyway, I went and looked at them all, trowled thru forums and reviews for a few weeks and ended up settling on the Yamaha FZ6R in white.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, I'm a big Duke fan, loved the 848 in pearl white when it was first released, so when I spotted the FZ6R in pearl white with a red frame we had a winner! Quick trip to Sydney on Thursday and I am now the proud owner of 1 yummo (IMHO) FZ6R dressed in white.

Spent an absolute mountain on gear, being my 1st time riding I had no gear, and want to protect myself as much as possible should/when the inevitable happens.
So purchased;
Alpinestars SMX-5 WP boots
Dririder Vortex jacket
Dririder gloves x 3 (2x winter and 1x summer)
2 pairs of drirdier kevlar jeans with CE knee pads etc
and the pride of my gear purchase, a Shoei TZ-X and Chrome Iridium Visor

Got home too late (& tired) after the 7 hour trip home from Sydney to take her for a ride.

So got up this morning like it was Xmas, geez it was cold, decided to do other things and wait for it warm up a little! Then finally I got to ride a bike on the road!
Had an absolute ball riding around today, managed to put on just over 160km's, just a little dent in the run in process!

So my questions are, what tips do the experienced (and newer) motorbike riders have? ie, like keeping gear clean, making it last, anyone had/have the items I have acquired? thoughts/opnions?
Anyone have good experience in running in new bikes, whats the to do's and not to do's? Any other advice? (I have been sucking everyone I know dry of their experiences so time to annoy you lot!)

(side note - no matter how many times everyone tells you that drivers are F%&TARDS when it comes to motorcycles you really dont "grasp" it completely until your in the saddle! Geezus I was at my wits end with some on many occasions today! Some are just plain tards!)

I would say sorry about too many pics, but I love em!

Rich007

I bought the same bike but in black, nice choice. These are pics right after I got mine, I have since added sliders and a tinted windscreen and just ordered a center stand that I'll be adding next week.

Taking her for a ride today up to Mt St Helens the site of the famous volcano eruption from back in May of 1980. Should end up with another 500 miles on her today taking all back roads and no freeway.

As far as the gear goes, keep it off the ground.

RoadTrip

Welcome to the site.

Yeah, I dreamed of getting a bike for many years myself, all I can tell you is by far the best hobby I have ever had. I am now finding that making special trips to the best roads are where its at, of course you're gonna get stoked with just about any ride at this point. But, further into your riding experience you should consider these longer trips, good roads with beautiful scenery will fire your mind like nothing else. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Pinarello Rider

Welcome to the site! I can't offer any advice on mods - my mods are making it a touring bike more than a speedster. I have about 200 miles on mine, and it's been fun to say the least. I had a 10 year old 883 Harley before, so this is a little different. ;)

I don't know what L's are.

Any advice about mods is wait a year. Ride the bike, learn it, then decide what NEEDS to be done. The bike will tell you.

VRIIClubby

sorry for abbreviations..

L's are your "Learners" a licence class in OZ when u first start to ride a bike.
80kmh speed limit, limited to certain bikes with either CC limit, Power to Weight and/or restrictors - FZ6R. have to be on your "L's" for 12 months normally (length lesons with your age ie over 25yo you can pretty much progress to the next stage of licence the next day. (most states)

you then progress to your P's "Provisional" licence, if your under 25 they are for three years, first year 80kmh speed limit and next 2 yeares a 100kmh speed limit. If youre over 25 you are on these for 1 year.

You then get your full licence and can ride whatever bike you like,

Rich007

L's are your "Learners" a licence class in OZ when u first start to ride a bike.
80kmh speed limit, limited to certain bikes with either CC limit, Power to Weight and/or restrictors - FZ6R. have to be on your "L's" for 12 months normally (length lesons with your age ie over 25yo you can pretty much progress to the next stage of licence the next day. (most states)

you then progress to your P's "Provisional" licence, if your under 25 they are for three years, first year 80kmh speed limit and next 2 yeares a 100kmh speed limit. If youre over 25 you are on these for 1 year.

Never heard of the restricted type of license that you have. I guess I live in the bubble of the somewhat free country of the USA were at 18 you go go and buy a 5000 cc bike (if there was such a thing) and ride off into the sunset. I guess they may consider that population control. Some states here don't require you to wear a helmet either and I think they consider those people that don't choose to wear a helmet "Future organ donors".

mdgreene2001

Never heard of the restricted type of license that you have. I guess I live in the bubble of the somewhat free country of the USA were at 18 you go go and buy a 5000 cc bike (if there was such a thing) and ride off into the sunset. I guess they may consider that population control. Some states here don't require you to wear a helmet either and I think they consider those people that don't choose to wear a helmet "Future organ donors".

I got my m endorsement in 2007 and just recently in Utah New riders must take their driving coarse on a bike the size of what your going to be riding or bigger. when I did mine it wasn't restricted so I didn't even own a bike or have a learners permit I took motorcycle safety coarse on a rebel and written at dmv and got my license then bought a bike Suzuki m50, laid her down a year later and got lucky and got scared for 5 years then bought the fz6r and now I'm take it easy and be cautious, age also played a big part. next bike will be bigger because I'm 6'2" 190lbs I want a 1000cc super sport bike like a Ducati, Yamaha r1, or a aprilia rsv4

VRIIClubby

I would recommend frame sliders
If only I had off taken yours (and others advice) from the outset!

Well the inevitable happened just 7 days after purchase :( I put her down! :(:(

I spent a week getting accustomed to the bike, riding and the "cagers" (top nickname I have picked up lol),

A few blokes at work ride and have been riding for 30+ years so they thought they would plan a nice day ride for the noobie!

Up nice and early, put all my gear on (my jacket only arrived in the post the night before) and I set off, met up with the blokes at our meet point and off we set, got about 25 minutes into it and all hell broke loose.

First bloke took off up the road (Cagiva something - enduro twin thing) then the 2nd bloke (Kwaka GTR 1400) and then off I follow rather slowly.

Road was still wet from the rain the night previous so I was being extra extra delicate and sitting about 20kmh under the limit, came around a corner and there was an Inch of gravel strewn from one side to the other!!!

I shat myself, picked the bike up and started braking, reaffirming to myself not to give too much front brake, dont lean to much, try and ride through it, well about a nano second into that I spotted the bloke that WAS riding the 1400 rolling around in the trees! I preceeded to shit myself even more!

I kept braking, eventuially going onto the shoulder of the road (mud) the bike then started tank slapping me and I tried to ride out of it, got her back onto the road and then the front just went out from under me! Too much mud on the front mixed with gravel and a wet road and I was doing a massive belly slide down the road!

Not happy! I ran to my bike, killed it and picked it up and bolted off into the scrub to help the other bloke who was screaming in pain...
Somehow I managed to pick the 1400 up off him and get it righted up,

Mate on the 1400 suffered a smashed up foot, he had four pins and a fair bit of wire used to put it all back together, me, well I didnt even have a scratch on me! +1 for spending a small fortune on good gear!

My bike is still in getting repaired, I should have it back within the next two days provided the last of the parts turn up tommorrow!

Total for the bike getting repaired was/is a cool $3500 and $1200 on my riding gear, pretty expensive little first intro into a group ride! (insured though so its not costing me that)

Bike isnt even really "damaged" all cosmetic. Sliders would have been very good! I ordered T-Rex sliders a few days after the acco, so just waiting for them to turn up now!

to rub salt into the wound, since the accident all the gear I have purchased prior to the acco started arriving in the mail, so I have FE's and other gear to be fitted just sitting here looking at me and saying "why?" lol.

After a few retakes on the incident the blokes I was riding with where very surprised at how well I came out of it considering my complete lack of experience, I guess taking it easier and not trying to keep up with the big boys for the first time in my life has enabled me to laugh, and sit here and type this out, otherwise I would more than likely be in a box.

damage to my gear was pretty minimal and am very happy with how it worked even though my speed wasnt exactly fast!
Jeans where ripped down one leg, knee was down to the knee pad and kevlar lining, jacket was ripped across my chest. one of my boots had some minor scuff marks on the toes, and my gloves even though they stayed palm down on the road whilst I slid they have only popped one stitch! Insurance covers all my gear so I have ordered all new stuff, some the same, some other O have upgraded to top of the line just incase eg - gone from a pair of dririder gloves to a pair of Alpinestars GP-Pro's...

ajones70

Pearl white

Hi! I just joined too. I just picked up the exact same bike on Saturday:)
Love it, love just walking past it in garage!! I am doing my bike course this weekend and hope to get my license in August so I can ride on my own, when I want and commute back n forth to work on it on the rare dry day we are getting here.

Bert-Aus

.... the inevitable happened just 7 days after purchase...
Glad you're ok after that incident, sorry to hear about your friend...
...by the sounds of it you did the right thing and took your time and didn't get swept up in the moment of chasing after your buddies.

Hope the insurance doesn't take too long to come through!

latony007

me too

Welcome, I just got the exact same white bike on 7/6 and am enjoying the hell out of it so far. Im not sure I would have gone through all that BS to get a license :) out here in CA you just take the written test which takes about 15 minutes, you can then drive anywhere except no night time and no freeways. After you practice their little circle you have to driver around a few times you go back and take the driving test and your done!

Love the new bike, handles awesome but i am used to cruisers, I wanted a bike forever too and finally bought one last year. I like the cruiser its great for taking the wife or kid but i wanted something fun to hit the canyons with my buddies and that's where the FZ6R comes in. I had to put on risers for the bars to get me a little more upright it was hurting the palms of my hands. next looking at sliders, possibly a taller windshield and id really like a gear indicator if anyone finds a good one.

have fun mate!

Serious? Far out it's not like that in QLD.. simply do a multi choice test to get your Learners, spend some money on lessons or do a course to prove competency then you have your RE.

RE means you can ride any LAMS bike on your own, no speed limit crap (would have sent me mental only going 80 everywhere!) and you stay on that for a year. You aren't allowed to have a pillion, and must have a zero blood alcohol reading at all times.

You then do another course/riding test, this time on an open bike yo get your open licence. When you're on your opens you can ride whatever you want! Only restriction is no pillion for a year.

Age doesn't come into to it up here, you could be 19 or 49, the rules are the same :)

Crazy how it changes so much within the one country!

VRIIClubby

Well the time has come to say goodbye, I learnt a lot from this forum about motorcycle maintenance, mods and riding techniques! Thanks to all that contributed to making this a great forum for a noob to learn the ropes!

I purchased my FZ brand new with 1km on the clock, traded her in with just over 16000! not to bad an effort for a 1st bike I thought.

last trip and it was on a trailer :(

I had a lot of adventures with my FZ6R, it started with some hard lessons, crashing it the first week, getting it back and then losing my license for the first time in my life and having to look at it sitting there for 6 months all lonesome.

too many arse pukker moments to recall, but lots of great times had with my beloved bike, was sad to see her go, 3 years nearly to the date of ownership, but for my long rides she was getting just little bit to small for me and always ringing her neck on the hwy was becoming tiresome.

after heaps of choices and lots of time thinking I swapped the FZ6R for a new GSXS-1000F:D:D:D.. pretty much ticked all the boxes for me, and is pretty much the only direct upgrade/upsize from the FZ6R in the market. the same philosophy behind both bikes. havent ridden her too much yet but damn she is quick! very very nimble as well and is just hungary to go! more than 100km/h in 1st gear is pretty crazy! loving her to bits and the modding process has already begun.

So thanks for the hints, tips and video's from the FZ6R community, they helped my experience be a pretty good one,

catch you all somewhere else another day! Until then, rubber down

bro_paul

Well the time has come to say goodbye, I learnt a lot from this forum about motorcycle maintenance, mods and riding techniques! Thanks to all that contributed to making this a great forum for a noob to learn the ropes!

I purchased my FZ brand new with 1km on the clock, traded her in with just over 16000! not to bad an effort for a 1st bike I thought.

last trip and it was on a trailer :(

I had a lot of adventures with my FZ6R, it started with some hard lessons, crashing it the first week, getting it back and then losing my license for the first time in my life and having to look at it sitting there for 6 months all lonesome.

too many arse pukker moments to recall, but lots of great times had with my beloved bike, was sad to see her go, 3 years nearly to the date of ownership, but for my long rides she was getting just little bit to small for me and always ringing her neck on the hwy was becoming tiresome.

after heaps of choices and lots of time thinking I swapped the FZ6R for a new GSXS-1000F:D:D:D.. pretty much ticked all the boxes for me, and is pretty much the only direct upgrade/upsize from the FZ6R in the market. the same philosophy behind both bikes. havent ridden her too much yet but damn she is quick! very very nimble as well and is just hungary to go! more than 100km/h in 1st gear is pretty crazy! loving her to bits and the modding process has already begun.

So thanks for the hints, tips and video's from the FZ6R community, they helped my experience be a pretty good one,

catch you all somewhere else another day! Until then, rubber down
Get on over to aussiestreetbikes if you're not already there. New bike is a beauty!