FZ6R "Comfort Seat" From Yamaha

frit1250

Has anyone tried the "comfort seat" from Yamaha for the FZ6R? I just purchased a FZ6R about a week ago and have a little over 600 miles. I found the seat to be a little hard and saw that there is a "comfort seat" with gel inside available from Yamaha.

The stock seat is ok for shorter rides but sometimes I go for longer rides ~ got about 250 miles in today.

If anyone has any feedback please let me know.

You got 250 miles in one day? Damn where do you ride to?

F

FZ1inNH

We do 250 all the time here on a Saturday. :D

Gel seats: Please let me give you a couple tips!

When they get HOT, they STAY HOT! Hot for a LONG time while you ride home!!!

When they get COLD, they STAY COLD! They warm up just about the time you get to your desintation.

That's my advice and please do with it what you'd like. ;) From a guy who's been there, done that.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
There was a thread a while back that asked the same question. If I remember correctly, they didn't recommend the comfort seat because it seemed to be just as hard and took forever to break it in. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it in here.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6r-mods/16458-hand-grab-rail.html#post207912
Here is the thread. It's post #3 where someone urges NOT to buy the comfort seat. Take it for what you will.

cbzdel

you should wait for someone like Corbin to come out with a seat...

oh and 250 miles in a day is nothing haha.. I have done 300+ miles in a day on my Honda Ruckus (49cc!)

B

bmccrary

If you are serious about getting a nice seat. Spend some time researching seat options on more touring type forums.

The Motorcylce tourers forum is a great place to get lots of good info. And just to prepare you for the shock, harder seats are more comfortable for longer distances (for most people)

-bryan

xplodnstar

Corbin should have something in a couple months or so. They're borrowing my bike next month for measurements.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome, taking one for the team! :cheer:

MNDZA

Corbin should have something in a couple months or so. They're borrowing my bike next month for measurements.
I assume you get a free seat in exchange? :thumbup:

xplodnstar

I assume you get a free seat in exchange? :thumbup:
Or bags, or something, I hope.

I'm doing it more to get more accessories out for our bike. But swag is always good too. :p

cbzdel

Corbin seats are nice, but the price tags.. DAMN!!

tractorboy

I, personally found that it took about 1000 miles for my seat to "break IN' it actually does get softer.....and mines pretty good now.........thats my nickels worth.

I would not go with anythign else. Hang in there a little more while you explore your options just in case...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I, personally found that it took about 1000 miles for my seat to "break IN' it actually does get softer.....and mines pretty good now.........that's my nickels worth.

I would not go with anything else. Hang in there a little more while you explore your options just in case...
I agree here. I have a little over 2300 miles in the saddle, and it has gotten quite comfy now. No trouble at all to go a couple hundred miles a day.

T

TownsendsFJR1300

I had Spencers, located on the east coast of Florida, re-do my seat.... He does not use gel, but a product called Supracor. His service is really fast and very reasonable. (as I recall, about $70 not including shipping-you arrange shipping). I just wanted the seat a little softer and am very happy with the results. I didn't have him do any other mods to the seat, just soften it up. It too has a break in period... Turn around time was less than a day, looks bone stock.... Below is a link to his website and no, I do not know him personally... Scott

FAQ

F

FZ1inNH

I had Spencers, located on the east coast of Florida, re-do my seat.... He does not use gel, but a product called Supracor. His service is really fast and very reasonable. (as I recall, about $70 not including shipping-you arrange shipping). I just wanted the seat a little softer and am very happy with the results. I didn't have him do any other mods to the seat, just soften it up. It too has a break in period... Turn around time was less than a day, looks bone stock.... Below is a link to his website and no, I do not know him personally... Scott

FAQ
Scott, when you called to arrange the deal with Spencer, what was his lead time? I've been to his site several times and am very intrigued for both my wife and I, but especially her. She needs her seat narrowed, lowered and softened. Mine, I just want softer and narrowed in the front.

I still do not get why manufacturers put those stupid ridges in at the thighs! :eek: :confused: Round the damn things off! :D

T

TownsendsFJR1300

I put it in FED EX the day I spoke with him (on a Friday). He got it Monday, I got it back either that Wednesday or Thursday(I forgot).... He just has to know when to expect your seat and to ask some questions about what you want done. I didn't want any modifications to the shape, just to soften it. The $70 (or 75) includes modifications to the drivers end of the seat and to put the softer material under the drivers seat. He has several different options available.

It took longer to ship it than to have him work on it, literally.... I liked the way my seat looked and didn't want to replace it altogether... He does really nice work too.... You obviously have to ship it there and make arrangements (FED EX, UPS, no USPS) to get it back (get a paid label for him to have them pick it up and get it back to you....

Scott

frit1250

Thank you all for the information. I will wait and see if the seat "breaks in" more. My body might be getting used to the bike too.

My buddies and I took the day off from work and went for a ride to get the 250 miles.

After my very first hour on the bike I had a sore back, neck and ass. Now after 600 miles it is just mainly my neck that gets a little sore from leaning over, but otherwise I am comfortable. My old bike was a XJ750 Seca that was even more upright.

I thought if the comfort seat was a dramatic improvement, I would give it a try, but it sounds like it is not worth the money.

T

TownsendsFJR1300

You may want to try a set of bar risers, they help alot. I'm 50 and prefer a more upright position. They made a big difference....