Engine Buzz / Vibration

Ooter

I've got about 600 miles on my FZ6R now (due for first service next week). I've noticed that when I'm between 6000 and 7000 rpms, the engine gets very buzzy. I can feel the vibrations on the seat and very strongly in the footpegs. Once I get past 7K, the vibrations go away.

Does this happen to anybody else? I've never had a bike with this much power before so I don't know if this engine buzzing is normal - I just think its strange that it is one particular section of the rpm band that the buzzing happens.

Thanks

S

scoobydrvr

I don't know about the R, but my 6 does the same thing, and it's right at 65mph too. I'll normally speed to get out of that rpm band. There's been discussion about it on the 6, i'm sure you're not the only one considering the motors are similar (albeit downtuned).

xplodnstar

I get that. Just ride through to 7K, it goes away. :p

Actually, my friend has had a couple of FZ1's over the years and his had something similar too. It made riding on the back with him more fun. Before I got my own of course. ;)

fz6rwolf

I get that. Just ride through to 7K, it goes away. :p

Actually, my friend has had a couple of FZ1's over the years and his had something similar too. It made riding on the back with him more fun. Before I got my own of course. ;)
:eek::thumbup: Umm, did ya lean forward? Ooops, did I just say that LOL

xplodnstar

P

pwcwheels

Technically you are supposed to keep the RPM's between 4,ooo and 6,000 for the the first 500 miles then between 6,000 and 8,000 for the 2nd 500 miles. The better you brake one in, the longer it will last without any trouble.

xplodnstar

No, this is definitely engine vibration. I feel it in the pegs, the grips and the seat. I've got over 4k miles on the bike, so I'm sure it's not a break-in thing.

But from what I can tell, it's a regular thing on Yamahas. My friend had 2 different model years that did it. And it's only that small range between 6500 & 7000.

Ooter

No, this is definitely engine vibration. I feel it in the pegs, the grips and the seat. I've got over 4k miles on the bike, so I'm sure it's not a break-in thing.

But from what I can tell, it's a regular thing on Yamahas. My friend had 2 different model years that did it. And it's only that small range between 6500 & 7000.
OK I'm glad to hear that I don't have some sort of messed up bike :)

Its certainly not the clutch lever - its very noticeable vibration that resonates throughout the frame and onto the handlebars, seat, and footpegs.

I'll just learn to ride about 7k all the time :)

Thanks everyone

P

pwcwheels

If all else fails....drive the crap out of it!!!!!! It is a Yamaha! As long as it has good oil in it, it will last!

Roaddawg

Ooter, I notice the same on mine (about 950 miles on). It's just noticeable enough that I would constantly watch the gauge cluster the first few times. Now, I realize everything is fine and just ride through it.

I decided to push mine up there and see if I could feel it today (I've been following the break-in pretty closely until now, although after reading an article about mototune break-ins I'm wondering if that's gonna come back to bite me in the ... ), anyway, I got nothing of the sort in that RPM range, and I put it up there in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. It was steady throughout.

Just my two cents.

Mlebout

One of the reviews I read said the bike had a bit of vibration around 6,000 rpm. Sorry can't remember who's review.

E

eggie

Ive had my FZ6 since begining of April, the vibration has only just started, ive done just under 5000 miles on it since ive had it and its now got 8000 ish on the clock.. I wondered if the vibration has started because the chain needs pulling back due to the amount of miles im doing on a daily comute to and from work. Given that its only just started to vibrate thats the only solution i can think of which im going to be doing this weekend. But after riding to and from work for hour and half in one direction, its a bit annoying when your sat at your desk and can still feel the fingers tingle that and your toes... Never had this problem with my last bike which wasnt a Yamaha... but some young girl in a VW golf chose to right it off for me... and i felt like a change... other than the vibration, i think my bikes fab.

T

TownsendsFJR1300

If your throttle bodies are out any, a throttle sync will help...

As a side note, I put the foam grip covers on (forgot the name of them) on the grips and had the drivers end of the seat re-done to soften it up (its not gel). That helped a bit....

M

mglowe

Yep the engine buzz at those RPM's is normal - welcome to our world.

Initially on mine it was killing my wrist and I really felt I made a bad decision with this bike. With more ride time, throttle body sync, possible change of oil type, type of fuel and you will not notice it so much. Did I mention more ride time!

I speak only for me but this is what keeps mine happy:

- Change oil to something other than Yamaha. (please don't hijack this to an oil thread - do a search)
- Fill oil to a level middle of the hash marks on the dip stick. (For some reason my senses think it runs smoother at this level.)
- Throttle Body Sync at a higher RPM than the service manual indicates [3000 - 4000 rpm].
- Use mid grade or higher fuel.

A further search and you should see other posts on this matter as well. Hang in there.