Day of the Wheelie

08-FZ6

Ahem, 1 1/2 to 2 feet off the ground FOR maybe 15 feet. Yeah 15 feet up woulda put back tire about 11 feet off the ground which would be probably higher than when I was 16 years old jumping on my Honda 175 (XR I think?).
I figured as much but I couldnt resist.:thumbup:

lilfuzz

I finally did my first wheelie today. Totally by accident. A friend of mine and some salesmen from the local yamaha dealership were at a stop light. Reving them up as usual (TWOOOO BROTHERSSSSS). Light turned green and I dumped it at 6grand. As soon as I relized what I was doing I just throttled up and rode it. Totally by accident but the feeling was great. Still cant do what my buddies R6 can. 70 mph drop it down a few gears and lift it up!!!! Cool to see but idk if id wanna do it at that speed.

MNDZA

I finally did my first wheelie today. Totally by accident. A friend of mine and some salesmen from the local yamaha dealership were at a stop light. Reving them up as usual (TWOOOO BROTHERSSSSS). Light turned green and I dumped it at 6grand. As soon as I relized what I was doing I just throttled up and rode it. Totally by accident but the feeling was great. Still cant do what my buddies R6 can. 70 mph drop it down a few gears and lift it up!!!! Cool to see but idk if id wanna do it at that speed.
I'd definitely be too scared to dump the clutch at 6k....wouldn't wanna loop it.

lilfuzz

LOL. I hear that. But like I said it was by accident. Just wasn't paying attention to me reving the engine and then the light turned green. Bad part was we were 5 wide in two lanes!

stroke

ive tried both ways clutching and power but i havent pulled the front up yet... still tying though ill get it one day any fz6R specific tips?

A

AlanB

That being said, I felt the front wheel lift once while getting on it hard in first gear (right about 6500 rpm) and it scared the crap out of me. I just let it settle back down without event but I don't care to repeat it. Certainly not on purpose.
That's one reason I stick with the FZ6. As an "older" rider but with only 2 years experience, I figure there is near zero chance of me accidentally getting the front wheel off the ground with my 230 lb. bulk aboard. I'll take two tires on the ground at all times please.

jon144hart

clutching it up is the only way i would do it, after trying both. the way i do them is go about 14-16 mph, and clutch it up (basically pull the clutch in smoothly and the second it is disengaged, give it slight gas and SMOOTHLY let it out. you will hear the difference between a good clutch up and a bad one. bad ones are very harsh and bang. good ones are smooth) and ill bring it up and ride it at 11 oclock or so, the last few times ive been stunting, ive been hitting balance point so they are going much further now. ill have videos soon :D

C

chunkygoat

I would suggest buying a dirt bike, or asking a friend to ride his/hers. I've done a few small wheelies on dirt bikes before, I'm just not comfortable with it. I don't have the balls to even try it on my fz.

I've done it accidentally and it scared the crap out of me.

M

Morcs

The FZ is unbelievably simple to wheelstand - with -1 on the front sprocket makes the gearing perfect.

1st gear - cruise up to high revs, and give a handful to pop the front up to balance point, just before balance point, clutchless shift into second, and away ya go. :thumbup:

Was trying stand-ups last night (only ever done them on motards) but second gear, mid revs pulled up nicely.