Brake Lines

MikeN02

Discussion on aftermarket brakes, lines, etc.

Still new to the whole bike scene so I have to ask:

What are the benefits to installing stainless steel brake lines? I heard it doesn't stretch and that you have a faster response on your brakes, though I would want to do one in the front and not the back.

Also, any place that has them in a variety of colors? Blue, red, yellow etc? Tired of black.

I would concur with Heineken, in that this is a fresh bike and everything is new so why replace a part for lap times you'll never realize. Let's face it, as much fun as this bike really is in everyday, real-world experience, it is not a street legal race bike (and thank God it's not!) That's why the R1's and R6's exist; for the rider to get that race-like euphoria for an hour or two, then hobble off to the chiropractor. I'd love to have that euphoria, just not everyday riding. The FZ6R bike has great looks, excellent riding comfort and decent performance. This adds up to everyday funtime for a lot less. IMO, if I wanted R6 performance, I would have purchased one. Funny thing is, I would have spent more money making it as comfortable as the FZ6R.... But that's just me.

"If it's not broke, don't fix it!"

Frankly, I rather spend money in the best gear available than to make unnecessary up-grades (unnecessary = considering were talking about the FZ6R witch is close to one year old and the original brake lines are still "young"). But then again, maybe that's just me...

The two most important items are tires and brakes, car and motorcycle. Those have direct input on safety in operation. I went to braided front brake lines early. Rode all day summertime 2nd week of ownership, brakes were spongy feeling by late afternoon. Do the research........they don't cost that much anyway. IMO

aftermarket brake lines help with the spongy feeling in the lever, thats caused primarily by the brake lines expanding. But, the factory lines are more than adequate for 5k miles at least. When they start cracking, then i'd replace them with aftermarket instead of factory. I have braided lines on my r1, but I use the brakes a lot while racing and like to have the feel in the lever.

Well I've had steel brake lines made for each one of my bikes before the 6R. So I will probably swap the lines out when its time for new pads. Aside from response, another benefit is they will outlast the life of the bike. So replace them with steel braided ones and you never have to think about them again.

Spiegler Stainless Steel Front Brake Line Kit for FZ6R 09-10 - Brake & Clutch Lines - Solo Moto Parts

Goodridge Brake Line - Goodridge Shadow Sportbike Brake Line Kit Yamaha FZ6R - Indysuperbikes

Looks like they are becoming more readily available and the prices aren't too bad. Might not be a bad upgrade when needed, and/or when doing the pads.

Check your local businesses and see if there are any aircraft hydraulic line manufacturers. I had a set made specifically for a Concours, for $20 total, front and rear. The set was high quality steel braided, with a protective clear plastic coating.

Back