Adjustibility Question from prospective buyer

her24gl

Hello to everyone! Glad to see such a wonderful forum, and I'm hoping you can help me out. Please allow me to digress into a little background on myself before the technical question...

I am an experienced rider; first rode in middle school, but didn't get a license until graduating college. Have owned and ridden my own since 2000. I purchased a brand new yellow Honda Goldwing GL1800 in 2001, and it's my pride and joy. Well, I'm 44, 5'6", 133 pounds, fit, and I think I'm going through mid-life crisis of sorts. I'm considering adding another horse to the stable, and I'd like to get a sport bike. I've looked at many makes and models. I don't want a totally aggressive riding position, as I don't think my wrists can take it, but I also don't want a real upright position either....I have the Wing for that. I want something just above aggressive - I want to really know that I'm on a sport bike. The bike whose riding position I like the best, is the Ninja EX500R. It's exactly what I want position-wise. However, many people who's opinions I respect, tell me that I won't be happy with the power of the bike (given my experience with the Wing), and it doesn't come in yellow (*grin*). Please understand that speed is not really my thing. I'm a "safetygirl" above all. I prefer power, for those tricky situations when you need to move quickly, a smooth quiet ride, and excellent handling and manuverability. That's why I'm considering buying the FZ6R (oh yeah, and it comes in yellow...*wink*.)

Here's my question....

I've sat on the FZ6R, and the stock position on the floor is too upright. However, I've read in the literature that there is adjustability in the handlebars (0.8" forward). Has anyone here used this ability to create a more aggressive position, and if so was it "aggressive enough"?? Alternatively, do you have any recommendations as to how I might make it more aggressive (but not totally?) Someone had stated possibily putting a straight bar on it, or possibily reversing the stock bar, if clearance would allow (so that the grips were down, not up, from the bolts.)

Any advice one could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

O-turn

Partier
Hello to everyone! Glad to see such a wonderful forum, and I'm hoping you can help me out. Please allow me to digress into a little background on myself before the technical question...

I am an experienced rider; first rode in middle school, but didn't get a license until graduating college. Have owned and ridden my own since 2000. I purchased a brand new yellow Honda Goldwing GL1800 in 2001, and it's my pride and joy. Well, I'm 44, 5'6", 133 pounds, fit, and I think I'm going through mid-life crisis of sorts. I'm considering adding another horse to the stable, and I'd like to get a sport bike. I've looked at many makes and models. I don't want a totally aggressive riding position, as I don't think my wrists can take it, but I also don't want a real upright position either....I have the Wing for that. I want something just above aggressive - I want to really know that I'm on a sport bike. The bike whose riding position I like the best, is the Ninja EX500R. It's exactly what I want position-wise. However, many people who's opinions I respect, tell me that I won't be happy with the power of the bike (given my experience with the Wing), and it doesn't come in yellow (*grin*). Please understand that speed is not really my thing. I'm a "safetygirl" above all. I prefer power, for those tricky situations when you need to move quickly, a smooth quiet ride, and excellent handling and manuverability. That's why I'm considering buying the FZ6R (oh yeah, and it comes in yellow...*wink*.)

Here's my question....

I've sat on the FZ6R, and the stock position on the floor is too upright. However, I've read in the literature that there is adjustability in the handlebars (0.8" forward). Has anyone here used this ability to create a more aggressive position, and if so was it "aggressive enough"?? Alternatively, do you have any recommendations as to how I might make it more aggressive (but not totally?) Someone had stated possibily putting a straight bar on it, or possibily reversing the stock bar, if clearance would allow (so that the grips were down, not up, from the bolts.)

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, Ive only owned mine for 3 weeks now, and am new to motorcycles. If noone else can answer your question before I get home tonight, Ill look it up in the manual and see what I can come up with!

Good luck on your purchase, whatever it may be.

G

gpd211

Here's my question....

Thanks!
I've ridden a shadow aero (1100) since new in '98. last year in the spring i bought a 2000 (YELLOW) Honda VFR. That is a fully faired sport touring bike. It was my first "sport" bike. It was great. The V4 engine had the best exhaust note. Tragically it went off the edge of US129 in Tennessee. Well needless to say the areo was lonely in the garage so shortly after getting home I found my '05 fz6. The I-4 engine is a blast. It really comes to life above 9k. The seating position is a little upright for me too. I have ordered a set of bars for the fz1. these are straighter than the fz6's bars. Overall i really like the fz6. It has its place as does the aero in my garage. I'm just down the I-74 from you so if you want to ride. . .

MNDZA

I've ridden a shadow aero (1100) since new in '98. last year in the spring i bought a 2000 (YELLOW) Honda VFR. That is a fully faired sport touring bike. It was my first "sport" bike. It was great. The V4 engine had the best exhaust note. Tragically it went off the edge of US129 in Tennessee. Well needless to say the areo was lonely in the garage so shortly after getting home I found my '05 fz6. The I-4 engine is a blast. It really comes to life above 9k. The seating position is a little upright for me too. I have ordered a set of bars for the fz1. these are straighter than the fz6's bars. Overall i really like the fz6. It has its place as does the aero in my garage. I'm just down the I-74 from you so if you want to ride. . .
Wrong bike. This is the FZ6R subforum. I think this will never end.

A

antijoy

Why does that matter? It may not be the direct answer to the question the OP asked, but still sounds like useful info. Do you know that the FZ1 bar can not fit on to a FZ6R? I haven't seen part numbers, but the FZ6R and FZ6 bars look very similar in shape.

Well I guess another FZ6 owner has just posted in the FZ6R section. :ban:

MNDZA

It might or might not matter. If it does, then it is useless info and does not apply to what the OP is asking and may steer them in the wrong direction. The two bikes are very different so it is probably not useful info. And I brought up the fact that an FZ6 owner posted in the wrong forum because it has happened in almost every topic in this subforum and is pretty annoying because the answers given are obviously almost always wrong since they are for the wrong bike.

fuzzylogic

back onto the topic at hand...

i have moved the bars forward and adjusted the seat up to its maximum setting (almost and inch of adjustment i believe it is) and found these changes did increase the aggressiveness of the riding position. however, being 6'2" i wasn't happy with it and prefer the stock settings. considering that you are a bit shorter than me so you may find these changes to be more to your liking. whether it is as aggressive as you would like is completely up to you ultimately. it will never have the tank humping riding position of a SS with the factory components but it will be a more sports oriented ride than a wing.

P

PowellB

The bike whose riding position I like the best, is the Ninja EX500R. It's exactly what I want position-wise. However, many people who's opinions I respect, tell me that I won't be happy with the power of the bike (given my experience with the Wing), and it doesn't come in yellow (*grin*).
Having just moved up to an FZ6 from an EX500, I agree about the riding position... I haven't found a solution that solves this while keeping the fairing on the bike.

As far as the power goes... Up to 60-70 mph or so, unless you are using a stopwatch you won't notice the lack of power. I never had a problem keeping up with faster bikes until hitting freeway speeds. It doesn't have the FZ's screaming top-end pull, but the Ninja's linear delivery is very easy to milk for everything it's worth.

Having said that, I'm glad I moved to the FZ. It's a modern chassis and well equipped. The Ninja is an often underestimated bike, but it is a bit dated. It came in Yellow for 2007 if you can track one down.

Raptor700

Here's my question....

A: I also have moved the handlebars forward and the seat up. I also rolled the handlebars down several degrees so my riding position is leaned forward a bit more. I did this because as other taller riders have mentioned- It is hard to tuck below the windscreen on the interstate when your bars are so far back and upright. I was able to adjust the clutch and brake handles to my liking, however, I could not adjust the throttle assembly because it has an alignment pin that fits in a corresponding hole in the handle bars. But it is still ok, I am able to comfortably still fully rotate the throttle.

ant_mb

The "I think this will never end" statment made me chuckle. You joined last month.:D

There are a few things you have to realize about the forum. Most posting members have been here for a few years. For those few years this has been a stricktly FZ6 site. We see a question and assume it is FZ6 related. The FZ6R section just came about a couple months ago. We have all these new FZ6R members showing up(which is great), and complaining that us FZ6 members are posting in their thread. Just have a little patience with us, and you'll soon find out this is a great place.

MNDZA

The "I think this will never end" statment made me chuckle. You joined last month.:D

There are a few things you have to realize about the forum. Most posting members have been here for a few years. For those few years this has been a stricktly FZ6 site. We see a question and assume it is FZ6 related. The FZ6R section just came about a couple months ago. We have all these new FZ6R members showing up(which is great), and complaining that us FZ6 members are posting in their thread. Just have a little patience with us, and you'll soon find out this is a great place.
Yeah but I'm completely right. It doesn't matter that I'm new. At least I know how to read. I'm sure many people have been here for years, but that doesn't mean they can't simply pay more attention...it's not difficult if you're at least in high school level. But yeah it will take time I guess.

ant_mb

It has nothing to do about right or wrong, and everything to do with your ATTITUDE towards it!

MNDZA

Hey no need to get upset about it...I think people should just learn to pay attention that's all. You don't NEED to defend them, but it seems that you want to argue about anything. Go ride your bike if you're bored.

ant_mb

Hey no need to get upset about it...I think people should just learn to pay attention that's all. You don't NEED to defend them, but it seems that you want to argue about anything. Go ride your bike if you're bored.
Dude I'm not upset, I'm simply pointing things out. If you can point out a argument then please do so. A little courtsey goes a long way.

p.s. I'm not defending "THEM". Most of "THEM" have names as well.

F

fizz_off

Yo dude, did you ever think there are a few different ways to access this forum? Try it out - type in wwwDOTfz6-forumDOTcom (replace the "DOT" with ".") in the URL of your browser and see what you get. Then type in wwwDOTfz6-forumDOTcom/forum (replace the "DOT" with ".") in the URL of your browser and see what you get. 2 totally different entry points with different content. The former shows all NEW posts, regardless of which "sub forum" they were made; the latter allows the viewer to choose the content. It's easy to "not be paying attention" if the first view is the entry point (much as it was when you pointed out the error of my ways when I posted my electrical/wiring question yesterday).

Give it a rest.

And now (sorry to have :hijack: this thread) back to the OP's question :Flash:

PMS (yes, my real initials - signed this way for a reason :Flip: - give it a little of your "attention" and you'll figure it out)

fz6rwolf

Some folks kinda uptight. This is just a motorcycle forum, not parking outside an HA booth at a bikeweek event (now that's uptight, HA's will post someone to make sure no one parks in what they consider "thier spots" on a public street).

R

rdoucet

Not sure of the adjustibility of the bars for the FZ6R but I would like to point out that their are many, many members on this forum that would be happy to give assistance whether they have a FZ6 or FZ6R or both!!!!

The forum is based, in my opinion, on everybody's love of riding whether it is a FZ6 or FZ6R. To have a forum where people from around the world are willng to share their knowledge of riding and mechanics, so us, the rider, can wrench on our own bikes and ride a little safer is priceless!!

I appreciate the knowledge and information from fellow members - whether it is for the bike I ride or not. If a post is responded to for anything, I feel grateful that someone who does not know me or owe me anything still took the time to assist me with the issue I have at the time. Mistakes happen, and posting in the FZ6R section when you were talking about the FZ6 or vise versa is not meant to confuse the owner of that paticular model bike; but better to have an answer on the wrong bike than to have nobody answer anything - would defeat the purpose of the forum.

If you ride a FZ6R or FZ6 don't matter to me - we all love to ride and please ride safely!!!

:thumbup:

MNDZA

I agree that we should get along...that's why I said not to get so upset.

jdesiano1

I kinda wanted to sit more forward too but I heard the available adjustments were only mm. Not sure it it would make that much of a difference. I want rear sets too. That might help if our feet were up and back a lil more.