2 Day Ride Around Central/South Texas

Jay S.

Let me start by saying, I have the best wife ever. I had a 12 day trip planned for this summer to ride from Texas to Washington State and the deployment got in the way. So now that I'm home, the wife gave me 2 days to ride (I asked for 6...I'll take 2 and not complain). No need for the saddlebags for 2 days so I just used my tank and tail bags. However, I did not pack rain gear as there was only a 20% chance of rain, which usually means no rain in Texas.

I packed the bike the night before. Just waiting for the sun to rise. I planned out day one of the ride but did not make hotel reservations so I could stop wherever I wanted. The map shows day one. The other pics are me just waiting to leave after our daughter left for school. These pics are from my phone so they are kinda crappy in low light. The camera was already packed in my tank bag.

Last edited:

Jay S.

On the road at 8:00 am

It was a touch chilly when I left but nothing unbearable. Thankfully I had a nice hot coffee before I left. Road and skies were beautiful, only a handful of clouds in the sky. I only had 350 miles planned for the day so I could make a lot of stops and take pictures. Needed to wash Iraq out of my brain with as much good scenery as possible. By 9:30 the weather was perfect for riding...low-mid 70's.

First pic is the road, duh, heading out of Abilene toward Brady, TX. Second is the Buchanon Lake Dam. You can see how low the lakes are since Texas has had very little rain this year. Third is the Colorado River that feeds into Inks Lake. Last pic is Inks Lake.

Last edited:

Jay S.

I stopped in Marble Falls to visit my aunt and uncle. He just had all his teeth pulled and is getting dentures. His entire face was black and blue so no pictures. Hehe. Looks like my aunt hit him with a baseball bat. After having lunch with the family I headed further south to Canyon Lake and then to the Guadalupe River State Park. Again, Canyon Lake was down over 20 feet, which you can see the Dam on the right which is normally covered with water to the top. Sad. Then some random guy with a huge bird. I thought it was picture worthy.

Last edited:

Jay S.

As a side note, I must say, I'm normally a hotel guy, but some of the state parks had very nice, clean, secure campsites. I'd consider camping in the future at any of the parks I visited. After leaving Guadalupe I was going to head to Boerne and then go north to Fredericksburg. But, nature said no, and the rain started. I did NOT pack my rain gear...dummy. I use a state trooper turnaround point, total rebel I know. I headed back south and stopped in Boerne for the night. I learned it is pronounced "bernie." Go figure?

First pic you can see the storm from my hotel window, and yes, it did rain about an hour later. Glad I stopped. Also glad I packed the bike cover. Grabbed some taco's from the restaurant and figured, tacos...might as well get some tequila too. After soaking my sensitive posterior in the hot tub, I called it a night. (I was not too sore after not riding for 5 months)

:cool:

Last edited:

Jay S.

Tacos and tequila made me sleep like a log so I was up early for some free hotel breakfast and packed up the bike to head north with no particular route in mind. I was only hoping to avoid the rain I saw all over central TX on the news. I'll never skip packing the rain gear again.

First two pics are the bike packed up and ready to roll. I headed right through Fredericksburg because it was still very early and nothing was open yet. I headed north on a "scenic" route listed on my map. It took me to the Enchanted Rock State Park. Again, it had great campsites and I would have camped there in a minute. I did not trek to the scenic area since my bags obviously do not lock. But I snapped a couple pics.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Jay S.

As I was leaving the park I had to stop and get a picture of two dear who were not the least bit spooked by me. I'd have fed them if I had something. I've never been a few feet from a dear before without it running away.

The next hundred miles were great but then the clouds started rolling in. I could literally feel the temperature drop about 10 degrees and I knew I was going to get wet. I could smell the rain in the air...then it started. Thankfully I had rain covers for my bags. The next 2 pics are when I stopped for gas in Brady, TX. The clouds were everywhere and I must admit, I was chilled to the bone. I stopped at a coffee shop to warm up and let the storm pass. After some great coffee, I got back on the road, overcast and all. After about an hour it started to clear up again. The last pic is just me on the road being thankful for dry roads and clear skies.

Last edited:

Jay S.

I used my camera mount for the first time but the auto-focus just was not working like I wanted so most of the pics did not come out. However, in these first three pics you can see how nasty my windshield is after the storm. I need to use a camera that does not have an auto-focus feature. Lesson learned...

Last edited:

Jay S.

Home at last...

With all the storms around me I headed straight home instead of making some more photo stops. I was still cold and even during the breaks in the clouds, the temp never got warm. I rolled into the garage (wife is at work, better move my truck so she has a parking spot...yikes!) just in time. As I got off the bike it began raining as you can see in the first pic. In the second pic, my trip meter. Only 600 miles but it was an awesome ride with tons of great 2 lane highways and many scenic stops.

I can say that the +1 front sprocket is the best mod I have done to this bike, hands down. It sits just below 7K rpm's at 80mph and there is almost no vibration. I would never have thought that one little tooth could make the bike so much better on the highway. I tend to fall to the touring side of this bike's sport-touring abilities and the sprocket change is excellent. My new Ogio tail bag is great as well. I had to get a bit creative with the mounting straps but once I figured that out, it was super stable and just the right size to accompany my tank bag. The two combined were perfect for a 2 day trip.

This trip made me realize that I don't need a bigger/taller windscreen. With the stock screen, at 5'9", the wind hits me right in the helmet which allows nice cool wind into my helmet if I open my visor. I also learned to pack raingear even if you think you don't need it. I need a different camera if I want to get road pics, which is sad, I thought I had some really good ones to share, but they were all blurry. Sorry.

I love this bike more and more with each ride. It is the perfect blend of sport and touring for me and I see many more trips and thousands more miles before I even consider another bike. This will likely be the last overnight trip for the year...time to plan a trip for the spring, hopefully at least a week long trip.

Did I mention how much I love my Fizzer?

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

Nice trip , good discript .
Yeah the bike is nice , like you said perfect fit sport/touring .
Texas is beautiful we have tried to make it to Dublin (Dr.Pepper with real sugar , yum) a couple of times but got rained on both , wife is not to sure about rain riding so we turned around both times .
Riding is therapeutic . :thumbup:

Jay S.

Nice adventure on the open road... that's what riding is all about! Cooler weather is right around the corner here in FL... looking forward to it.

Ride safe Bro.

I'll be doing the Marine Corp 1/2 Marathon next weekend in Jacksonville, Fl. I never serve, but It something I would have like doing... kind of late now (turning 40 in Dec) But I will run those 13.1 miles thinking about all the one of you who serve past, present and future. I'll do the first mile for you! LOL
Thanks Martin. It was a great ride and the temps were perfect the first day. Just like FL, it gets too hot here during July/August. This is the perfect time of year to ride in TX.

Thanks for doing the marathon bro! (I know all about turning 40...)

:D

Jay S.

Nice trip , good discript .
Yeah the bike is nice , like you said perfect fit sport/touring .
Texas is beautiful we have tried to make it to Dublin (Dr.Pepper with real sugar , yum) a couple of times but got rained on both , wife is not to sure about rain riding so we turned around both times .
Riding is therapeutic . :thumbup:
I totally agree, riding IS therapeutic. For some reaon my bluetooth helmet would not stay connected and in the end it was a blessing. It was just me with my thoughts on the road and I found it to be very peaceful and relaxing.

I wish I could get my wife on the bike, she is just not into it. Even when I owned cruisers in the past with backrests, she only rode with me 2-3 times in over 10 years.

The ride from Abilene to Dublin is a very nice ride. Are you in Texas?

I am planning a trip to Vegas from Buffalo, NY and i was wondering if you think the tank and tail bag are enough for 4 days of clothes? Also what brand is your tank and tail bag? I have a smaller Joe Rocket Manta right now that I always keep on the bike locally but I would like something bigger for a big trip

Y

yellowfz

I totally agree, riding IS therapeutic. For some reaon my bluetooth helmet would not stay connected and in the end it was a blessing. It was just me with my thoughts on the road and I found it to be very peaceful and relaxing.

I wish I could get my wife on the bike, she is just not into it. Even when I owned cruisers in the past with backrests, she only rode with me 2-3 times in over 10 years.

The ride from Abilene to Dublin is a very nice ride. Are you in Texas?
Yes , sorry the location thing is a thing of mine and Google Maps (Google has my location wrong and I keep submitting the correct data , yet they can't get it right ) .
Fort Worth .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay S.

I am planning a trip to Vegas from Buffalo, NY and i was wondering if you think the tank and tail bag are enough for 4 days of clothes? Also what brand is your tank and tail bag? I have a smaller Joe Rocket Manta right now that I always keep on the bike locally but I would like something bigger for a big trip
I have a Cargo tank bag and an Ogio tail bag. I got them both from Cyclegear.com. I don't think they carry the Cargo brand bags anymore. I also have Cargo saddlebags for the really long trips.

The tail bag is pretty small compared to most. I put a pair of jeans, shorts, 2 t-shirts, socks, underwear and toiletries all in the tail bag and still had a little room. In the tank bag I had my cameras, a long sleeve shirt, a tire repair kit and small multi tool and a bottle of water, also with a little room to spare. I'm positive there would be enough room for 4 days, unless you had to pack shoes. I just grabbed dinner while still in my jeans and riding boots but I know some people like to change out of their riding clothes before they eat. I normally pack some flip flops so I can hit the hotel pool, but forgot to pack them this time...I went to the pool barefoot.

I hope that helps.

Jay S.

Yes , sorry the location thing is a thing of mine and Google Maps (Google has my location wrong and I keep submitting the correct data , yet they can't get it right ) .
Fort Worth .
My next 2 day ride will likely be up that way. I've never really ridden around the DFW area. There seems to be some nice riding just north of the city with a half dozen large lakes. I like to stop at the lakes and get pictures as you can see. Maybe mid-October some time. I've been all over central and eastern Texas. No desire to see western Texas. We drove through the west when we moved here 6 years ago and it was not the most exciting scenery I've ever seen.

:rolleyes: