Tire Hugger idea

Y

yellowfz

I think you might be running into an issue with the curvature of that back piece. You might have to make that separate and bolt the 2 pieces together once done. Looks to me like too many angles to be able to pull the blank out before you fill the sand with aluminum.

You are working to do a poured piece of aluminum still, right?

Just seems like this is going to need to be a part that takes a couple pieces vs just one.
Yeah I am going to cut the pattern piece in half so as to have a top and bottom half and dowel pin them for alignment, same for boxes will dowel pin them too, I still need to add a couple of latches to the mold boxes to hold them together so the metal pour does not separate them .

BoneJj

Yeah I am going to cut the pattern piece in half so as to have a top and bottom half and dowel pin them for alignment, same for boxes will dowel pin them too, I still need to add a couple of latches to the mold boxes to hold them together so the metal pour does not separate them .
Sounds like a good deal. I'm rather interested in seeing how this turns out.

I wish my bike had an easy mounting point for adding a rear tire huger like this. but I have the rotating hub setup for my rear wheel for chain tension so I'd have to make some holes in the rear swing arm further up to mount something like that. It's been really tempting to do so.

Y

yellowfz

Update : have started trying to get part to release from the sand mold, seems the design of the part is complicated enough that it wants to apply uneven pressure on the sand and tends to pull sand with it when being extracted, in other words, the thing is hard to get out without causing sand to flake off. :D
Will do some pics of it Monday and post, almost there.
Someone on the Tractor site I am on suggested that I use flat and bend to shape, if this continues to give me problems I may look into that option.
Developing a product is tough unless you have millions and can scrap prototype after prototype, of course if I had more knowledge of casting that would help too. :D

Y

yellowfz

Well had to change plans, front tire is bad, developed tread separation so I bought a manual tire changer and am getting ready for the new tires to arrive on Wednesday.