Puig rear tire hugger?

staindlegend

Ok, so I'm putting a fender eliminator on my bike soon and am a bit concerned about the possible mud/dirt flying up. I was thinking about getting the puig rear tire hugger to help with this potential problem, not to mention I think it looks good. Problem is, when I try to find vendors, the pics they supply look nothing like the one on puig's website. Does anybody know if these are just generic pics or what the deal is? The attached picture of the hugger ON the bike is the one I want. The other is the picture I get from vendors, e.g. amazon and kneedraggers. Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

staindlegend

The one that's on the bike is the one we get. It has the built in chain guard.
Ok, so the other one is like just a generic pic they use? I just want to make sure there isn't like another model available as the one that's not on the bike looks ugly imo. Just don't want to spend $160 to find out its the wrong thing.

joloy133

Look at how the rear tire rotates and where the dirt/mud is picked up and "slung". Fender catches it's share which the hugger won't compensate for. The hugger will catch the small gap under the bottom battery box flap. The hugger is mainly for .........lookin' good.!!!

staindlegend

Look at how the rear tire rotates and where the dirt/mud is picked up and "slung". Fender catches it's share which the hugger won't compensate for. The hugger will catch the small gap under the bottom battery box flap. The hugger is mainly for .........lookin' good.!!!
Well, from what I've read from others that use it, it does do a fair job at reducing dirt/mud kick up. So, not only does it look good as you've said, but help keep the kick up to a minimum. It's a fair trade off imo, given that damn ugly fender. lol

joloy133

I meant where the junk is caught. Fender catches the stuff that is flung at the rear taillight. The hugger is under the seat, 2 different locations. The rear wheel rotates counterclockwise rolling forward. Where do mudflaps on a car go?

staindlegend

I know what direction the tire rotates, and I know that a tire hugger will not perform near as well as the fender, which is why those questions were not posed in this thread. I understand where you are coming from, and no, if it's a rainy day this will not keep the tail from getting muddy. I know this. From what I've read it still does reduce the amount of kick up, mainly towards the seat and rider, which is a plus. It looks good and is better than nothing. Again, I understand where you are coming from but you are preaching to the choir. All I wanted to know is whether or not the hugger pictured was the one I'd actually get.

Sage

The only problem I find with the skidmarx one is....its $100 more than the Puig...

staindlegend

No apology necessary. You were just trying to help me out :) That other one you linked looks pretty sick, basically same as the Puig but stretches a bit farther. Problem is it's almost 100 bones more. Don't know if I could justify the extra expense...

staindlegend

...and the skidmarx one come from Australia, so shipping to US will be :jawdrop:

jonkop

You can see Puig hugger in action:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/rear-tire-hugger-18869/index10.html#post252088

I CAN definitely tell you, the hugger don't work - as you can see I am with fender eliminator and my back is always in mud, the hugger works for the feet and protects the battery box and rear spring.
If you buy bigger hugger(i.e. Puig is a little bit small than what it looks like in picture) maybe it will reduce this, but with Puig hugger prepare for mud on the back nad the neck ;) I have already used to it :)

FitZ6R

The only problem I find with the skidmarx one is....its $100 more than the Puig...
Skidmarx. Heh. Heh heh.

Worth it just for the name.

Sorry, my innner 10 year old wanted to come out and play.

staindlegend

You can see Puig hugger in action:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/rear-tire-hugger-18869/index10.html#post252088

I CAN definitely tell you, the hugger don't work - as you can see I am with fender eliminator and my back is always in mud, the hugger works for the feet and protects the battery box and rear spring.
If you buy bigger hugger(i.e. Puig is a little bit small than what it looks like in picture) maybe it will reduce this, but with Puig hugger prepare for mud on the back nad the neck ;) I have already used to it :)
After much deliberation, I believe I've finally found the solution: don't ride during or immediately after a rain storm :cool:

Anyway, the way I see it is fender>hugger>nothing. Considering the fender is ugly as sin, i'll take the lesser of two evils. The fact the hugger looks awesome is simply a bonus