FZ6R Shifting Issue

osprey

Hi I am new to the forum, and I have a new (to me) FZ6r.

Sorry to cross-post, but I performed some searches on shifting issues, and I do need to adjust my shift lever height to better accommodate my foot, but I am more concerned about the bike not wanting to go into the next gear (typically 3rd or higher gears) while at speed sometimes.

Has anybody encountered this where when you try to upshift you reach a stop, but no click into gear and no associated desired gear change occurs either?

I have tried a real hard upshift, but when this happens (doesn't happen every time) I am just pressing and it feels like when you are in 6th gear, but think you are in 5th and try to upshift into a hard stop on the mechanical linkage.

Typically I drop the speed and then I can upshift on a second or third attempt, but this is certainly not ideal.

Would adjusting the shifter linkage help, or is it something else?

FYI, this bike has 500 miles on it, so it is still getting the break-in treatment. The clutch free-play seems OK.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

osprey

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

CDN6R

Yeah I find the same thing sometimes to me,,when up shifting. I accidentaly pre-load the shifter with out even noticing it and I can't get the next gear. As soon as I let off the shifter,,it will shift.

osprey

Thanks to all for the responses, and the helpful advice.

I will look for the "How To" on adjusting the shifter and try it out tomorrow.

FYI I was tinkering with the gears in my garage, and with a stationary bike I could not get it into 3rd (no preloading), rock the bike slightly forward, and I could hear a discernible click, after which I could upshift again...I assume that the gears need some rotation to mesh.

Thanks again.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member