Back after 4 years of not riding

Ok guys don't beat me up to bad. I have an 09 FZ6R and it just hit 600 miles today. Being military I was away from my bike for many years. I have many injuries that keep me from riding. Last time I rode it was in 2015. I dislocated my right knee patella for the 4th time in July of 2015. Since then I lost the passion to ride. I let the bike sit for 4 years and finally checked it this week. Of course it was covered and still looks brand new being 10 years old. The only negative I found on the bike was the coolant reservoir was totally empty as all the coolant in it evaporated after the 4 years. I checked the radiator and it was full. So I just added coolant to the reservoir to bring it up to the full mark. I cleaned and adjusted the chain and put fresh gas in it. Also I had to buy a new battery. Taking it this week to change all fluids and replace all brake lines. I just rode it today for 20 miles and it ran perfect. I stopped after 20 miles due to my hands getting numb. Once I get it serviced I plan on riding it a few days a week. I may keep it or sell it not sure yet. I have my eyes on a Yamaha R3 with ABS just for fun and casual rides. Cost is $5,299.99. I know it's only a 321cc bike but it's just for fun. Anyway I'm glad to be back and hope to participate in the forum.

You should replace the tires too. They probably look brand new, but 10 year-old tires are not very safe.

You should replace the tires too. They probably look brand new, but 10 year-old tires are not very safe.

Yes I am I just forgot to mention it. I'm going with the Dunlop Roadsmart III. Thanks for the reply.

The R3 can make a good local-only scoot, but you may find the ergonomics are designed for smallish riders. Don't forget to do a brake fluid change on the 6R - ten years is too long.

The R3 can make a good local-only scoot, but you may find the ergonomics are designed for smallish riders. Don't forget to do a brake fluid change on the 6R - ten years is too long.

Oh yeah definitely changing the brake fluid and brake lines. Thanks for your reply.

Back