Alternative Block Off Plates than Graves

MikeN02

If you hate the popping sound on decel then you should get Smog Block off plates.

Graves sell them for 34.99 + shipping but I found someone who sells them for 20 + shipping and their basically the same thing but don't have the graves G on them.

rothjl749 Of R6 Forum said:
I am selling smog block off plates. They are almost identical to the Graves plates. The main difference is that Graves' sells them for $34.99 + shipping and mine sell for $20.00 + shipping. These smog plates are also 25% lighter than my previous version. If you have any questions about them at all, feel free to pm me. Also, if you would like to place an order you can purchase them at Roth Industries — Welcome

You can also check out the many reviews on the R1-Forum website at this link FS: 04-08 R1 Smog Block Off Plates - $20 + Shipping : Yamaha R1 Forum

Item: Smog Block Off Plates

Application: Yamaha R1 (04-09) / R6 (03-09) / R6S (06-09) / FZ1 (All) / FZ6 (All)

Description: Smog Block Off Plates are designed to seal off the ports on the valve cover used by the air injection system (a.k.a smog pumps or AIS).

The air induction system (AIS) burns unburned exhaust gases by injecting fresh air (secondary air) into the exhaust port, reducing the emission of hydrocarbons.

Once these are capped off the air injection system can be safely removed. These Smog Block Off Plates are made from CNC'ed billet aluminum. There are two reasons why you want to remove the air injection system from your bike;

1. If you are using your motorcycle on a closed course (racing, track days, etc.) you will want to remove all unnecessary equipment from your bike for reduced weight and ease of maintenance.

2. To get an accurate Air:Fuel (A/F) ratio when dynoing the bike. The air injection system pumps fresh air directly into the exhaust stream in order to burn off any unused fuel. Unfortunately by doing this the A/F ratio is thrown off by the extra fresh air in the exhaust stream. By removing the air injection system you can achieve an accurate A/F ratio.

Sold per pair.

Spunky99

You got my attention....

Where do they go, how hard are they to install, do they fit the FZ6R and what garbage do we get to toss off and save weight?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

I already have the R6 header/Viper pipe upgrade and no o2 sensor....

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
These are only useful when doing an exhaust /PC upgrade when adding an O2 sensor, right?
Or does anyone know of any benefits/downfalls of doing it to stock systems.
No real benefit for doing this on a stock system. The reason for doing them after adding an afx exhaust is because now there is no cat to burn off any unused fuel, so you get that annoying popping. It's caused by the AIS system dumping air into the exhaust. With the block off plates, you prevent the air from being dumped into the exhaust and thereby prevent the unused fuel from burning and causing the pops.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
As an extra note....I installed the Driven plates and they go in just like the Grave's plates.

MikeN02

Yeah wow a lot of veterans here posted within 5 minutes.

To clear up some questions:
They go underneath the airbox of the FZ6-R, you remove the AIS hoses and just toss it and "block" them off with these.

These are useful in any aftermarket exhaust mod you do, as they eliminate the popping sound on decel, and give you a better read out if you're running it on a Dyno.

I believe these will fit the FZ6-R as the graves one that I've ordered were for the R6.

(Air Induction System) is different from the O2 Sensor. The O2 sensor (which isn't on the FZ6-R) I believe is on the bottom near the exhaust while the AIS is under the Gas tank, Air Box.

Like I mentioned before, a lot of people put these on their bikes it's not just R6's and FZ6-R's. It's for a better read out of the exhaust for a custom dyno, reduces annoying popping on decel, and some other stuff.

Roaddawg posted the link to the full install on these and I just figured I'd share this find because I couldn't justify spending 35+shipping on plates that you don't even see.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I too have just a little...but I imagine it's from whatever air is getting into the can and not any leaks passed the plates.

MikeN02

I am getting a little popping still, I'm gonna check the exhaust and just make sure I have everything tightened up properly.
A little popping is normal, even if you listen to the pro's specially tuned bikes you'll hear popping.

If you do it right (Exhaust, Fuel management tune, smog block offs) it'll reduce popping by a lot.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Spunky99

I ordered a set of the Roth plates. $22.73 with shipping.

I guess since we start with 471 pounds....anything you can remove/replace that makes the bike lighter is a plus and since I was thinking about getting my bike dyno'd with the PC V and my header/can setup, I'll probably get a better map out of the deal.

I wanted to re-check the TB sync again anyways so this will be a good excuse to do it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

Other part of the question... it's done so the unused fuel can burnup in the cat... so, if you did this (to lose the weight, plus not to have to fight those stupid tubes when changing the plugs) with a stock system....Are there any bad side effects, or possibility of damaging anything?

I'm thinking if it's just a little plate, and no one can see it, I have some extra Delrin sheets (and aluminum as well) laying around that could be put to use.
Instead of Super Moderator, your tag line should be Super Cheapskate:rof:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Other part of the question... it's done so the unused fuel can burnup in the cat... so, if you did this (to lose the weight, plus not to have to fight those stupid tubes when changing the plugs) with a stock system....Are there any bad side effects, or possibility of damaging anything?

I'm thinking if it's just a little plate, and no one can see it, I have some extra Delrin sheets (and aluminum as well) laying around that could be put to use.
The only negative to the block offs is that you are polluting like a mo' fo' with the unused fuel and wouldn't pass an emissions inspection. Additionally, it might be possible that the unused fuel may burn up afx cans quicker, but I can't exactly comment on that as of yet, so it's just speculation.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So I didn't notice anything with the cigarette up to the headers or exhaust mount on the mid pipe...what does an exhaust leak sound like exactly??
The most likely place that you will get the exhaust leak is probably at the headers and exhaust manifold. I still think I have one from when I installed mine. I believe it would sound like the yami tick, but louder.