Yamaha trademarks "FJ-09"

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

latony007

This is going to be a S10, Strom & Versys killer! Aim more at the adventure touring crowd then sportsbike rider. 2015 FZ09 (free reflash for 2014) fix the jerky throttle and I don't think the suspension will get any update. The suspension is not horrible but like any budget bike, there's plenty of room for improvement.

Just curious to see how much weight the FJ packed up over the FZ09. If it stays under 450 lbs it will still be good.
thats what i am afraid of, was hoping for something more along the lines of the FJR1300 but smaller and lighter not something monster size like a versys or vstrom

Fizzer6R

I'm sorry. I hate the look. Is Yammy taking their styling cues from Transformer's now? Is Michael Bay designing their bikes?

To me it looks like a bug perched on a motorcycle chassis. It looks like the designers tried so hard to make it look futuristic and cool, but it just looks like stuff bolted together. Except for the line down the tank and under the seat, nothing really flows.

It honestly looks to me like a parts-bin bolt together. Bummer, that.
nope, they're just taking note others are selling a lot of Multistrada, Strom & Versys', and they want a piece of the sales pie.

I'll wait until see one in person, and don't judge a bike only on it's looks.

if this sport tourer is a success for them, can only image more of an adventure version isn't too far coming too

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

engineered2win

If it comes with a cruise (easy on ride by wire)... we got a winner IMO.
Sadly only BMW seems to think that cruise control is a useful feature. Most bikes now are ride by wire, but no one can be bothered to throw on a switch and write a simple simulink model. Most still don't think heated grips are a useful accessory. The S10 and FJR are the only Yamaha bikes that come with heated grips from the factory, and most bikes don't even have the option of ABS in the US.

latony007

Sadly only BMW seems to think that cruise control is a useful feature. Most bikes now are ride by wire, but no one can be bothered to throw on a switch and write a simple simulink model. Most still don't think heated grips are a useful accessory. The S10 and FJR are the only Yamaha bikes that come with heated grips from the factory, and most bikes don't even have the option of ABS in the US.
Seems like a no brainer if your making a touring bike. And i dont want to start and ABS debate but i agree more bikes should have them. i wish this one did.

Fizzer6R

Seems like a no brainer if your making a touring bike. And i dont want to start and ABS debate but i agree more bikes should have them. i wish this one did.
All bikes (larger then 125cc) sold in Europe 2016 are required to have ABS - wonder if manufacturers will just start including it on all bikes in all countries

latony007

All bikes (larger then 125cc) sold in Europe 2016 are required to have ABS - wonder if manufacturers will just start including it on all bikes in all countries
That is interesting. Wouldn't mind if they did, but of course prices going up then.

Fizzer6R

MSRP* $10,490 - Matte Gray - Available from November 2014
$10,490 - Candy Red - Available from November 2014

Fuel Capacity 4.8 gal
Fuel Economy** 44 mpg
Wet Weight*** 462 lb

Traction Control System (TCS), ABS, center stand is standard

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

latony007

Glad they went with a big gas tank. That's plenty enough to go way pass 200 miles a tank. TC & ABS is not my thing but will be welcome by the FJ09 crowd fir sure. @ 10.5K I would have thrown a cruise control with that, that's pretty much standard is this class.

FZ09 is a success mostly on bang for the $. At 10.5K its still not a bargain. With $2500 or so someone can pimp up a FZ09 for touring. Don't forget at 10.5 there's no luggage yet.
Its already on the site i didnt know that, looks ok, something about the front piece im not to sure about and i really do not get the gold forks with every color? Plus i want color matched hard bags. About 5K less than the FJR1300 i can see where it fits into the lineup. If i dont hit the motorcycle show in a couple weeks there is a yamaha demo ride right near my house a couple weeks after that. im going to give this one a try if they have it. Little high on the seat height though for us midgets! Still want to try an FZ1 so bad but they didnt bring it the last demo.

dawg

This might be my new bike...

I have been looking for a sport touring that has standard power outlets, optional heated grips, LED headlights, and standard options for luggage.

Can't wait to see some reviews on this thing.

latony007

Saw one at the local dealer and its a nice looking bike especially with the bags and everything on it. funny how some bikes look better with bags and some look like crap with them. It was really tall though, i could barely get one side toes on the ground so not for us shorties. :mad:

Maadi

I started reading the comments attached to that latest review, and I must say these people confuse me. They are talking about chain vs. shaft like they are the only two options. And chain being the preferred one due to the added weight of the shaft drive.

BUT what about a belt drive?????

Little to no maintenance, no added weight, almost as good performance as chain. It would be an obvious choice for me to put on a lightweight touring bike.

If the FJ-09 had that, it would definitely be my next bike. As it stands right now, I'm still contemplating the BMW F800GT :(