XJ6N clunky gear change

latony007

I guess clunky is a matter of opinion. I think they shift fine without any clunkyness, compared to my brothers ninja and my nephews street triple. Im not very mechanical but I do know the engine oil lubes the clutch as well so if it hasn't been serviced in a while... plus unless you know who you bought it from I would always have a used bike serviced and looked over.

Mrjessehlee

Thanks Tony,

Is your XJ6 smooth? I have a definite clunk every time I shift gears I can actually feel it thu the whole bike (sounds terrible I know) even if I ease out the clutch :(

Yea I was imagining gear change would be buttery smooth. I've had about 5 bikes before this and in comparison the clunkness is always there. I guess the best thing to do is test ride other XJ6Ns and take it from there.

it would be a great help if anyone had a similar experience and how they went about fixing them before I actually start my trouble shooting :)

Bert-Aus

Is it across the entire gear range or only down into 1st?

I find it is only clunky if your not rev matching through the gears, ie sitting still and changing through.
Such as stopped at intersection and then changing down into first.
Otherwise my gear box doesnt make any noticeable noise/ vibration ~unless I am so accustomed to it I dont notice it anymore?

latony007

Thanks Tony,

Is your XJ6 smooth? I have a definite clunk every time I shift gears I can actually feel it thu the whole bike (sounds terrible I know) even if I ease out the clutch :(

Yea I was imagining gear change would be buttery smooth. I've had about 5 bikes before this and in comparison the clunkness is always there. I guess the best thing to do is test ride other XJ6Ns and take it from there.

it would be a great help if anyone had a similar experience and how they went about fixing them before I actually start my trouble shooting :)
no if your feeling it through the whole bike i would say you have an issue of some kind. I mean i can hear mine clink down into gear especially if you going through gears pulling to a stop but i dont feel it all never mind through the whole bike.

Mrjessehlee

Is it across the entire gear range or only down into 1st?

I find it is only clunky if your not rev matching through the gears, ie sitting still and changing through.
Such as stopped at intersection and then changing down into first.
Otherwise my gear box doesnt make any noticeable noise/ vibration ~unless I am so accustomed to it I dont notice it anymore?
It does it across the entire gear 1st thu 6th. I've been riding for about 4 years now and pretty familiar with shifting gears(blip , hill and toe etc) I have to concentrate hard to get it in smooth. Now Im pretty sure I might need to take it to the dealer and have a test ride on other XJ6Ns

Mrjessehlee

no if your feeling it through the whole bike i would say you have an issue of some kind. I mean i can hear mine clink down into gear especially if you going through gears pulling to a stop but i dont feel it all never mind through the whole bike.
Yes I get that clink on every gear lol! I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow and let yous know how I get on. Thanks so much!!

Lilday

Hello peeps,
I have just purchased 2008 XJ6n 2nd hand its done about 18000km. Loving the bike so far but I have some concerns.

The bike is generally very smooth, other than every time I change gear, I tried adjusting the clutch cable knob by the clutch lever for days, but no help.

never test ridden any other XJ6N so I can't quite tell, what other XJ6n is like, It seems like the gear change in XJ6n is more clunky than all my previous bikes!

Im thinking it might be the engine oil? previous owner put yamalube.

Any comments would be much appreciated!! Thanks peeps!
I had this exact problem when I got my XJ6. Some people suggested using thicker engine oil but I've stuck with Castrol Power 1.

It is still clunky, and I was very worried when I got the bike, but you get used to it.

I was even considering selling the bike because it was so horrible, but I've gave it a chance and when you get used to it, it slowly becomes smoother.

I could never shift without the clutch, it was just horrible and clunky...but now I almost never use the clutch. I got a new exhaust and for some reason it just changed everything...I think because I can hear the engine much better I can 'blip' the throttle at the correct time and have it just slide in nicely.

So yeah - it is normal, and I blame the stock exhaust!

Riccochet

Having ridden SS's on the street most of my life my 6R shifts much smoother than what I was used to.

My dirt bikes, on the other hand, shift like buttah. Don't even have to rev match, up or down, with no clutch.

Y

yellowfz

Mine is still clunky when using the clutch to shift, doing clutchless shifts it is pretty smooth.
Oil can make some difference but not a lot, it will still clunk maybe not as hard.
Helical cut gears would help, I bet the ones in the 6R are straight cut ones. Google and you will see what I am talking about.

latony007

some people sware by it but in not a fan. I would not open that can of worms that discussion can go on for days
lol, ok don't want to open any cans like the 87 vs. 91. I just have to figure they put the clutch there for a reason so I go with it :D

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

I guess clunky is a matter of opinion. I think they shift fine without any clunkyness, compared to my brothers ninja and my nephews street triple. Im not very mechanical but I do know the engine oil lubes the clutch as well so if it hasn't been serviced in a while... plus unless you know who you bought it from I would always have a used bike serviced and looked over.
Hey I have never quoted myself before but like I said I guess clunkiness is a matter of opinion :)

Y

yellowfz

noob question, why would you shift without the clutch? other than maybe racing?
Smoother shifts, less tension on chain during shift makes chain last longer (if done right), cause I can, saves clutch and clutch plates, saves clutch cable from wear, etc...
Why would you use the clutch unless you are racing?

Mrjessehlee

I had this exact problem when I got my XJ6. Some people suggested using thicker engine oil but I've stuck with Castrol Power 1.

It is still clunky, and I was very worried when I got the bike, but you get used to it.

I was even considering selling the bike because it was so horrible, but I've gave it a chance and when you get used to it, it slowly becomes smoother.

I could never shift without the clutch, it was just horrible and clunky...but now I almost never use the clutch. I got a new exhaust and for some reason it just changed everything...I think because I can hear the engine much better I can 'blip' the throttle at the correct time and have it just slide in nicely.

So yeah - it is normal, and I blame the stock exhaust!
LOL I am considering of selling it too. I might try thicker oil too. Now that I come to think of it, it actually feels smoother in the morning before the oil still is thick.

latony007

LOL I am considering of selling it too. I might try thicker oil too. Now that I come to think of it, it actually feels smoother in the morning before the oil still is thick.
you know I went out this weekend and for about a half hour I was paying attention to the "feel" of the shift and came to this conclusion. I don't feel anything "throughout the whole bike" smooth as a baby's bottom. I mean do I feel like a clicking in my foot, of course, is it more than my nephews street triple or my brothers can am? nope. Maybe we get smoother shifts and you get hazard lights lol

Mrjessehlee

you know I went out this weekend and for about a half hour I was paying attention to the "feel" of the shift and came to this conclusion. I don't feel anything "throughout the whole bike" smooth as a baby's bottom. I mean do I feel like a clicking in my foot, of course, is it more than my nephews street triple or my brothers can am? nope. Maybe we get smoother shifts and you get hazard lights lol
Thanks for that, I get clicks in my foot thu all gears and clunk thu the hand levers too. Can't wait to change the oil and see what kinds of changes ill get.

What engine oil do you use?

if the previous owner was honest, yamalube 10w40 sould be in my bike ;)