Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death (RROD)

Fzara2000

Anyone have this before? I'm debating whether I should send it into Microsoft for $100 (my xbox is out of warranty) or buy these cheesy repair guide kits online which promise full satisfaction. The only advantage to sending it into Microsoft is that I'll get a free prepaid label, 1 free month is xbox live, and most importantly, a 1 year warranty on the repair. Any one have any suggestions?

Deputyfarva252

me personally i would just send it off to XBOX let them fix it that way you get the warranty , or buy a new one with an extended warranty through gamestop , it saved my ass , mine stopped reading discs about 1 1/2 after having it took to game stop and got a brand new one with another warranty

Fzara2000

Just saw the above link and am not sure how comfortable I would be drilling into anything. Thinking I will probably send it off after all.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Tmak73

Some local game stores can do the repair too. Had mine done and they modded my fan to run at higher voltage so it keeps it cooler. It is louder but it was like 50 bucks and its been great.

Sparkxx1

Just saw the above link and am not sure how comfortable I would be drilling into anything. Thinking I will probably send it off after all.
It would be drilling into the metal case not the circuit board or anything. Your choice though lol

Skidro

I got my 4th Red Ring Of Death this past week. The first three were covered under the extended warranty, but this one isn't. I may just trade min in to Gamestop for crediy & get a new one. I i didn't enjoy gaming so much & have so many XBox games i would retire from XBox.

yfz6r

Any xbox except the new slim can and will inevitably will go out. Don't waste your 100 sending it to ms. Use it toward a new 360 slim. The repair kits either add heatainks/spacers on top of the ram modules or replace the x-clamps and either way it just delays the xbox failing again.

I've been a part of the xbox scene since initial development on the first xbox and have extensive experience with the 360 hardware. The fixes may last for 10 years or a few days. The only way to be sure is a new style box. I have a few for dev purposes and the first thing i do to my 360s is cut a large hole in the side of the casing for direct exhaust of hot air. It works for many hours until I have to fix something else.

yfz6r

And tmac, you said the game store modified your fan voltage. The most common place to get that constant voltage increase is from the disk drive 12v. Microsoft can detect that the drive amps have slightly decreased because of fan requirements so you will now be eligible for a console ban. Just a heads up. Ms hasn't done their ban runs in over a year though.

Hellgate

Xbox 360 Repair Page

Do it yourself, they sell a kit and have step by step instructions!

If you have any questions either ask llama mods or the xbox scene forums

Xbox-Scene.com - HomeBrew Xbox 360 and Orignal Xbox News, JTAG/SMC Hack, DVD Firmware Mods, C4Eva iXtreme LT+, FW Hacks, Modchips, Kinect, Exploits, Modifications, Jailbreak, RRoD, Repair, Tutorials

Good luck with your decision!
Just sent it back to Xbox. I tried the "repair", it worked for three weeks and RROD was back. I sent it to Xbox, gone for a total of 10 days and it's been working perfectly for two months.

Here's the deal with the repair, by the time you pay to watch the vids, buy the stuff to do the repair you're into it for about $70. Or just send it to Xbox, postage free, for $99 and get it done correctly.

The "fix" is overheating the processor in hope that it "resoders" itself. Once I learned what the "fix" was I felt like I'd been ripped off, and I was. After the "fix" broke, I tried to contact them, several times, and never got a response.

Last edited:

iSpoolin

Damn son, you need a new xbox! The Red Rings been gone for a while lol

Anyhow, I had two that did that to me, I sent them in to Microsoft, mine were out of warranty, but it was still free, not 100$ :eek:

Hellgate

Damn son, you need a new xbox! The Red Rings been gone for a while lol

Anyhow, I had two that did that to me, I sent them in to Microsoft, mine were out of warranty, but it was still free, not 100$ :eek:
It depends how far out of warranty you are. Mine had expired in Dec of 2008 and it died this past April. I was too far out so I had to pay for the repair.

I agree a new one is the way to go buuut my 11 year old it the Xbox junkie and our version is a Halo one; green box, headset, etc. He and his buddies are Halo nuts so I will never win the argument to buy a new one.

Spunky99

Just sent it back to Xbox. I tried the "repair", it worked for three weeks and RROD was back. I sent it to Xbox, gone for a total of 10 days and it's been working perfectly for two months.

Here's the deal with the repair, by the time you pay to watch the vids, buy the stuff to do the repair you're into it for about $70. Or just send it to Xbox, postage free, for $99 and get it done correctly.

The "fix" is overheating the processor in hope that it "resoders" itself. Once I learned what the "fix" was I felt like I'd been ripped off, and I was. After the "fix" broke, I tried to contact them, several times, and never got a response.
Not quite true.
The heat sink paste gets hard over time due to thermal cycling. Then it fails to conduct the heat to the cooler and you get an overheated CPU. They try to get the paste really hot and hope it melts but it is most likely dried out and overheating the CPU is a long shot and bad for the CPU. There is a kit that is under 5 bucks delivered off eBay that eliminates the x springs that will keep the CPU in contact with the heatsink better. clean off the cheap ass thermal paste Mickeycrap uses and use Artic silver instead. I did this and eliminated the red ring issue. Sending the box to Mickeycrap for a "Correct" repair gets you the same old worn out springs and crap thermal paste so you can guarantee the CPU will not be seated properly within 6 months and have the same problem again. I don't enjoy paying for some minimum wage monkey to redo the crappy paste as a proper repair...LOL..

The Xbox will run for 5 more years after the Artic Silver paste has been put onto the CPU and the stupid x braces replace with solid screws and nuts but then the cooling fans and the DVD go bad. All thermal paste should be replaced every 5 years or so. Replacing the DVD requires some skills to copy and burn the firmware key onto the new DVD or solder or cable the old DVD circuit board onto the new DVD. I had my DVD drive board let out the smoke so I had to buy a refurbished Xbox from Gamestop. I had a DVD reading problem so I took it back and the second one seems to be fine. I spent 20 extra to get the 1 year exchange warranty too. I have the CPU kit and Artic Silver and the replacement DVD for the refurbished one after the warranty is up to do the repair if needed. I saved the old Xbox for parts.

Spunky99

Hellgate

Not quite true.
The heat sink paste gets hard over time due to thermal cycling. Then it fails to conduct the heat to the cooler and you get an overheated CPU. They try to get the paste really hot and hope it melts but it is most likely dried out and overheating the CPU is a long shot and bad for the CPU. There is a kit that is under 5 bucks delivered off eBay that eliminates the x springs that will keep the CPU in contact with the heatsink better. clean off the cheap ass thermal paste Mickeycrap uses and use Artic silver instead. I did this and eliminated the red ring issue. Sending the box to Mickeycrap for a "Correct" repair gets you the same old worn out springs and crap thermal paste so you can guarantee the CPU will not be seated properly within 6 months and have the same problem again. I don't enjoy paying for some minimum wage monkey to redo the crappy paste as a proper repair...LOL..

The Xbox will run for 5 more years after the Artic Silver paste has been put onto the CPU and the stupid x braces replace with solid screws and nuts but then the cooling fans and the DVD go bad. All thermal paste should be replaced every 5 years or so. Replacing the DVD requires some skills to copy and burn the firmware key onto the new DVD or solder or cable the old DVD circuit board onto the new DVD. I had my DVD drive board let out the smoke so I had to buy a refurbished Xbox from Gamestop. I had a DVD reading problem so I took it back and the second one seems to be fine. I spent 20 extra to get the 1 year exchange warranty too. I have the CPU kit and Artic Silver and the replacement DVD for the refurbished one after the warranty is up to do the repair if needed. I saved the old Xbox for parts.
I did the paste, the screws, the whole deal, it worked for three weeks. It was a waste of time and money especially when their warranty is hallow.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

y0uki11edkenny

If yours is the old white one you can just simply replace it like in the video other option is spending money on a new xbox 360 slim 250GB and use the transfer cable. last and cheapest option is also the option of going over to gamestop or other used game stores and picking up a old white one cheap I found this one for $99 and you dont have to wait for 3 weeks to get it back :D

Sparkxx1

I feel lucky my xbox has been running strong for 5 years now O_O

I've run it 12-15 hours a day sometimes...for days, that extend into weeks. xD I used to be close to going to COD tournys but I was too lazy. My friend who's as good as me has won quite a few in NYC.