Woodcraft Clip-Ons

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Kdubb223

I have 1.5 in woodcrafts and if they were contacting the plastics I wouldn't be riding around with them. 2 in risers just means you have to raise your forks higher, effectively lowering the front end and making it easier to bottom out or have the horn smash into the front fender. I will admit that when first installing all of the controls, one of the screws that holds the engine start/kill assembly together scraped the plastics but a simple adjustment solved it. From lock to lock nothing makes contact with the plastics.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Kdubb223

yeah the 1.5 in are a tight fit but look and function great when properly adjusted. I actually had aftermarket grips on my stock bars that I pried off and put onto the wood crafts.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

rregal

The height dimension on the Woodcraft clamp is the same no matter what riser height is employed. So to flush mount the clamps to the forks on top of the triple, the distance the bike is lowered can be the same. To account for the difference between 1.5 " and 2" risers can be achieved by a little more rotation of bar, approximately 3 to 5 degrees to allow best clearance of the levers. Once the clip-ons are loosely mounted and configured with grips, lines and levers it becomes clear on which clamp and bar rotation positions will provide the best clearance of the tank and plastics. No matter what riser height you choose I suggest you have your new grips and new bar ends already procured so you don't have reposition the controls to accommodate for fit of a new component. I found the Spider Peak grips I used to be about an 1/8" longer than the OEM grips and I had tried four bar ends styles before I settled on a customize version of a heavy weighted set.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/weighted-bar-ends-woodcraft-clip-ons-27914/

Here are some pictures of my Woodcraft clip-ons with 2" risers.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kdubb223

I don't have bar ends on mine and yes they have more vibration over stock but I found that relaxing my grip on the bars reduces the vibration a lot. Only long highway rides seem to bug my hands. You would need to buy the universal style bar ends and pull the stock plugs out. No modification needed for brake and clutch lines, just need to make sure nothing is tangled. The only hassle I had was not knowing I needed to drill the small anti-rotation holes into the wood crafts. The controls on both sides have small plastic "tits" that fit into a hole to keep them from free spinning on the bar. You need to measure the distance on the stock bars and drill a hole on both wood craft bars.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

wao600

Hey kdubb223
How is the handling of your bike with the lowered front end and clip ons
Does it still handle good in curves? And at higher speeds

BranWonder

Would i be safe to use 41MM woodcraft handlbars with 1.5" risers and not run into any problems that cant be easily fixed?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Chris12

I have actually turned mine a bit on my stock bar because I moved it to the forward position and rotated them back.
Hey Scott,

How did you like your stock bars in the forward position, and how did it affect your body positioning/ handling?

Also, how did the forward bar position compare to the clipons in terms of handling?

Thanks in advance!

BranWonder

Spongy-ness

So a buddy and I finally got the woodcraft handlebars installed on my FZ6R. Took about 3 hours to install(along with making minor adjustments and testing riding to make more minor adjustments). And i absolutely love the look and feel of the handlebars when riding. One concern i have though. Installing the handlebars, caused me lower the bike 1.5 inches. Now when i ride through dips in the road, i can feel a spongy feeling in the forks. And im wondering how could i get ride of that soft spongy feeling?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BranWonder

I've had woodcraft clip-ons for 3 or so years and don't think my front end feels spongy. How much do you weigh and how many miles on your bike? If you dropped one fork even slightly lower then the other it can and will affect performance making it unstable. You could always upgrade the fork springs and go to a heavier weight fork oil.
Im 155LBS and so far 2700 miles on my bike

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

Chaos

Pretty stoked! My clip ons should be here today! Going to install them maybe wednesday. Thats been my one major gripe with this bike, those damn bars. Ha. Will let ya know how it goes.

Chaos

Boom!!! Love them. It's a whole new bike. The corners are spectacular now! Nuff Said.

20180421_154224.jpg

20180421_154229.jpg

Now just to do something with this white tank

MadMaxx

anyone here try the apex ones? I figure the adjustability would make a lot of things like control placement simpler...