When to lube chain?

Chip

Ok so I recently washed my bike (sprayed water near the chain area). I got the PJ1 Lube from Cycle Gear but do I really need to lube it (I had my bike serviced 3 weeks ago)?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
A good rule of thumb is every 600 miles and whenever the chain gets wet (riding in the rain or washing).

JnT4Life

I don't think it can hurt it. Just might be a little messy.

MikeN02

A good rule of thumb is every 600 miles and whenever the chain gets wet (riding in the rain or washing).
This, I do it too and it can be fun. I do wait until I know that day it will stop raining because it's been like here for a couple days straight.

streetmaster

I think it's too much excess lube when it flings all over your pant leg or onto the tire.
I did mean you cant do it too often. Didnt mean an excessive amount of lube on the chain.
You still need to at least give it a quick wipe & yeah if you just put way too much lube on (even with a completely clean chain) you can still make it excessive.
The question was how often, not how much lube to use.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

streetmaster

Same thing, just using air to blow the water off.
My compressor is a bit big & too far away from where I was the bikes. Too much trouble running the hoses etc. out!!! :D

Chip

I lube mine every time I wash it. (I don't ride in the wet) Which with all the bugs lately is pretty much after every ride. I've kind of got it down to a perfect routine.

1. Put the bike on the swing arm stand and while turning the rear tire backwards, soak the chain in Maxima CleanUP Chain Clean. This stuff is awesome but it's pretty nasty so I try and do it outside the garage. I also use gloves and eye protection. No need to scrub with this stuff. Although I do use a brush to clean the sprocket a bit once this stuff is all over it. Just be liberal with it. Let it soak for 5 minutes. Keep spinning the rear wheel from time to time while it soaks.

2. Take the bike off the stand and wet the bike down, running A LOT of water over the chain to get all the cleaner and the crap it's taking with it off. You'll be amazed how nice and shiny silver your chain all of a sudden is.

3. Wash the bike like normal and rinse it off. Try and get it dry as quick as you can so you can get the bike back up on the swing arm stand. (I washed the bike while up on the stand one time. While it was nice having it perfectly upright and such, it felt like it was a bit unstable being wet. I wouldn't recommend it.)

4. Once on the stand again, wipe any excess water off the chain with a dry cloth. I even hit the chain lightly with some compressed air to make sure it's completely dry. I then use PJ1 Blue Label Chain Lube. (This so far has been the cleanest stuff as far as not flinging off.) Spray it on while turning the tire backwards for two full cycles of the chain. Wipe off the excess and you're good to go.
Thats a great write up, thanks! However I do not have a center stand, so what is the best way I should apply the lube?

MikeN02

Thats a great write up, thanks! However I do not have a center stand, so what is the best way I should apply the lube?
I suggest getting a stand. Harbor Freight is the cheapest around $40 and it's well worth it.

Other than that you would have to clean one/lube one part of the chain, move the bike forward and clean another part and repeat.

Took me 2 hours or so doing that, then when I got my stand I love it, best 40 bucks I've spent. Takes me about 15 minutes or less, and I also did my own oil change.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

WenMark

Clean That Chain!

I just did mine for the second time last weekend. I did break down and bought a rear Power Stand from the dealer on sale for $100 but it's an investment. Every 1000 miles it will get a cleaning (unless I get caught in the rain). I cleaned it with kerosine & then wiped it clean. Sprayed Resol moto chain lube on it and it's good to go. I believe that if if take care of your chain it will take care of you. It's one of the most important things to watch on the bike. Very easy to do.:)