What grease do you use to lubricant axles/pivot points?

jgelack

I'm in the process of mounting new tires and while I have the axles out wanted to lube them up before reinstalling the wheels. The service manual recommends a lithium soap based grease. Ive had many people recommend Belray waterproof grease, which seems to be very popular. But my concern is it a aluminum complex grease, and not lithium. Not sure if that would pose a problem of not. Yamaha's Race grease is Lithium based and comes in a regular and synthetic version, maybe that would be a better option? What would you guys recommend?

TN6R

I'm in the process of mounting new tires and while I have the axles out wanted to lube them up before reinstalling the wheels. The service manual recommends a lithium soap based grease. Ive had many people recommend Belray waterproof grease, which seems to be very popular. But my concern is it a aluminum complex grease, and not lithium. Not sure if that would pose a problem of not. Yamaha's Race grease is Lithium based and comes in a regular and synthetic version, maybe that would be a better option? What would you guys recommend?
I just mounted a new rear tire on mine and used Permatex white lithium grease (same as soap based). I got it at O'Reilly's and it was recommended to me by a well known local bike garage where I live.

By the way when I pulled the rear axle it was totally dry so not sure the grease will even last as long as intended. I only had 8k miles on my bike and we don't get snow so it's a no salt area. Plus I never ride when the roads are wet.

BluePill

Usually any NLGI 2 rated grease is OK, but you don't want to mix different chemistries (Lithium, Aluminum, Molybdenum, etc.) in the same place, like wheel and steering bearings.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Last edited:

jgelack

I just mounted a new rear tire on mine and used Permatex white lithium grease (same as soap based). I got it at O'Reilly's and it was recommended to me by a well known local bike garage where I live.

By the way when I pulled the rear axle it was totally dry so not sure the grease will even last as long as intended. I only had 8k miles on my bike and we don't get snow so it's a no salt area. Plus I never ride when the roads are wet.
Yeah, I pulled my axles out at 4K and was surprised they were bone dry! I do ride in the rain, but still wasn't expecting that. I don't think the factory lubes them very well, if at all.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

jgelack

Usually any NLGI 2 rated grease is OK, but you don't want to mix different chemistries (Lithium, Aluminum, Molybdenum, etc.) in the same place, like wheel and steering bearings.
Thanks for this information. I will just look for a Lithium based NLGI 2 grease, since Yamaha recommends a Lithium grease in the service manual. Thanks for all the responses guys!