What got you into motorcycling?

anticsd

I'm just curious why do you guys ride motorcycles as a form of hobby or commute. For me, it started when me and my gf took a vacation in the bahamas and rented a scooter. I didn't realize what I was missing out cornering was insanely fun.

For me my favorite things to do on the motorcycle is cornering and down shifting (rev matching, it's music to my ears!!)

So, what got you into motorcycling?

What do you enjoy doing on your motorcycle the most and why?

Thank you for the replies!! :D

2013 Fz6r satin

1st mini bike was a Honda qa50cc,that went to motocross,suzuki rm 125 and 250,then went to street bikes Honda 500 turbo,650 turbo,took a break then came the ninja 250,took a break then fz6r,next on the list suzuki 750!! Same as you corners are fun,front tire stays on the ground...fz6r is for riding to work,16 miles round trip...

JSP

Super Moderator
Grew up on Honda Trail bikes. 90 and 110. Rode those everywhere. Through town (real small town), camping, everywhere.

Always wanted a street bike after that. Did not get anything until after I was married. Convinced the wife to let me buy a new little Honda Rebel 250 for my 110 mile round trip work commute to save lots of gas money.

Put over 10k miles the first year on it then convinced her it was too small and traded up... :D

Fizzi6ergal

Let's just say that I went through about 100 decks of cards, pinning them to the spokes on my banana seat bicycle(haha). As soon as I could ride a bike by myself, I always put a card in my spokes to get that somewhat motorcycle sound. My parents never got me a bike of any sort. I hadn't had the opportunity to touch a clutch-driven machine until I was 16. I went to the dunes with my brother's in-laws family. I don't really come from a family of motorsports at all. My family is more of the "musical" family. Piano was all of my siblings and my hobby.

But having a motorcycle has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. It's weird how one doesn't grow up in that environment, but still has that craving for the corners on a fine 2-wheeled machine.

2013 Fz6r satin

Let's just say that I went through about 100 decks of cards, pinning them to the spokes on my banana seat bicycle(haha). As soon as I could ride a bike by myself, I always put a card in my spokes to get that somewhat motorcycle sound. My parents never got me a bike of any sort. I hadn't had the opportunity to touch a clutch-driven machine until I was 16. I went to the dunes with my brother's in-laws family. I don't really come from a family of motorsports at all. My family is more of the "musical" family. Piano was all of my siblings and my hobby.

But having a motorcycle has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. It's weird how one doesn't grow up in that environment, but still has that craving for the corners on a fine 2-wheeled machine.
just curious.are you still using cards...:D

D

Deleted member 9794

Boredom. I needed a reason to get out more, needless to say that's not a problem anymore. It also gave me an escape from unhealthy eating and snacking. If I get the munchies now I just go for a 2 hour ride. By the time I make it back I'm just thirsty instead.

JFresh

I got an email about the MSF course, and how it was required to bring a motorcycle on base. Didn't really think too much about it since it didn't pertain to me. But then I read that the military pays for it, so I figured why not give it a go. At the very least it would be an experience. Loved every second of it. Enablers!

Brock Kickass

Bikes, ATV's, snowmobiles, and race cars have always been in my family. It was more or less inevitable that I would ride one as an adult. I don't even remember the first time I rode a bike, but I rode piles of them when I was a kid. Snowmobiles and ATV's, too. Safety was a priority in my family, but the general rule was "you can start it, you can try it." Of course, this never applied to my Grandfather's Honda Hurricane, but it was electric start and I was 9 years old.

Motorcycles are in my blood, and I love every minute I'm on one. I've been doing it so long I feel natural on one. All it takes is 15 or 20 minutes on a different bike and it starts to feel like it's a part of me. Don't get me wrong; it takes hundreds and hundreds of hours on a bike to really know it, but I can feel it starting to grow on me almost right away. Like the OP, perfect rev-matched downshifts are bliss to me. The sound is better than music. I also love digging it to a long, high-speed sweeping turn. Leaning the bike way over and feeling it carve a turn like riding knife on ice just makes me giddy.

IMHO, motorcycling is something that you need to be a natural at to truly love, because a bike feels like a part of you. Being a natural doesn't mean practicing isn't necessary. Every time I am on a bike I'm working to make my form a little better. I think it needs to feel like you're moving down the road, though, not controlling something going down the road. To me, cars and stuff do too, but nothing feels better than a bike.

RoadTrip

I rode mountain bikes and longboards for thrills, but after a few years it was getting a bit stale, so I bought a motorcycle.

JonKerr

Elite Member

anticsd

Bikes, ATV's, snowmobiles, and race cars have always been in my family. It was more or less inevitable that I would ride one as an adult. I don't even remember the first time I rode a bike, but I rode piles of them when I was a kid. Snowmobiles and ATV's, too. Safety was a priority in my family, but the general rule was "you can start it, you can try it." Of course, this never applied to my Grandfather's Honda Hurricane, but it was electric start and I was 9 years old.

Motorcycles are in my blood, and I love every minute I'm on one. I've been doing it so long I feel natural on one. All it takes is 15 or 20 minutes on a different bike and it starts to feel like it's a part of me. Don't get me wrong; it takes hundreds and hundreds of hours on a bike to really know it, but I can feel it starting to grow on me almost right away. Like the OP, perfect rev-matched downshifts are bliss to me. The sound is better than music. I also love digging it to a long, high-speed sweeping turn. Leaning the bike way over and feeling it carve a turn like riding knife on ice just makes me giddy.

IMHO, motorcycling is something that you need to be a natural at to truly love, because a bike feels like a part of you. Being a natural doesn't mean practicing isn't necessary. Every time I am on a bike I'm working to make my form a little better. I think it needs to feel like you're moving down the road, though, not controlling something going down the road. To me, cars and stuff do too, but nothing feels better than a bike.
I know exactly what you mean. I bought a motorcycle as my primary vehicle so I don't need to put tons of mileage on my c63. A car to me feels like basketball sneakers and a bike feels like running barefoot. I don't know how quite to explain it but i feel my car and bike is in unison.

PS - I wish I live out in the west so much canyons and twisties!!! NYC kinda sucks, I practice dodging yellow cabs and its passengers while you guys are carving canyon roads...

arse

I had wanted a sport bike since I was about 5 years old or so.

xleeb0y13x

Always been into motorized anything from a young age. Growing up in San Diego I was exposed to dirt bikes really young as they are a dime a dozen out there. Mostly stayed on bmx in my early years and moved to cars. Wasn't until last year that I got serious about a motorcycle and April of this year picked up my 6r. Still very much a car guy at heart ( love me some air cooled vw's) but there's nothing like a ride out in the farm land of northern Cali to clear your head.

Sent using Jedi mind tricks!

Skidro

The TV show Then Came Bronson. I was 8 years old the year that aired in 1969, got my Honda 50 that year and I've had a motorcycle ever since.

I ride daily, rain or shine, hot or cold. When I'm on a motorcycle i feel freedom, and it feels the same today as it felt 44 years ago.

Riccochet

Started riding dirt bikes when I was 5 or 6 with my father and brother. Raced motocross in the late 80's early 90's in 125 class. Also raced BMX during that time. Got my first street bike at 16. Totaled my last bike in 2003 and took a 10 year hiatus from street riding. Now I'm here. Still ride dirt, though no more MX tracks.

Cerebus

I've wanted a motorcycle since I was in college. However, I was obese (morbidly) most of my life and never felt comfortable with the idea of riding one ...not to mention the way fat guys look on bikes. When I dropped the excess weight, a motorcycle was near the top of the To-Do list. It was also a happy coincidence it fell around my mid-life crisis. :D

Neme

I got my first bicycle when i was three, and my first dirt bike when i was 5 or 6. a little 50cc honda. great bike. i did off road and MX for about 7 years. i became old enough to get a motorcycle permit and sold my 250 2 stroke honda for a ninja 250 for my entry into the street world. i couldn't be happier i did. i miss the dirt world some times but the street world is just more adventurous to me.

Pinarello Rider

My dad had a motorcycle when I was real young, but didn't ride it much. Living and commuting into Boston wasn't real safe for motorcycles, but now that I live in Central VA, it's more acceptable/reasonable. I was looking for a cheaper, more interesting commute, and a good way to see the country. I used to have time to ride road bikes, and that was good if I could ride 60+ miles. Can't do that anymore (no time for the training to get to the level), motorcyle works fine.

I've wanted a motorcycle since I was in college. However, I was obese (morbidly) most of my life and never felt comfortable with the idea of riding one ...not to mention the way fat guys look on bikes. When I dropped the excess weight, a motorcycle was near the top of the To-Do list. It was also a happy coincidence it fell around my mid-life crisis. :D
Good for you for losing the weight. How much did you lose? What caused you to make the change?

danieljardim

I used to watch the TV show CHIPS when I was a kid and that is what got me to like motorcycles.

In high school I played the computer game full throttle and I decided that I would buy a bike as soon as I could afford one.