Watch for cross traffic

ndfz6r

I almost got myself killed today. Still shaken up a bit. My work is on a frontage road with a bunch of other businesses. At 5 o'clock it gets very congested as people all go to the same outlet to then cross a busy four lane artery with 50 mph traffic. I was watching a pickup that was turning right in front of me and thought I could go then. I pull out into traffic and a car was behind the big pickup I didn't see. He slammed on the brakes and I laid my bike down. Wasn't barely moving, but my hand hit the throttle good and it kind of spun on the ground. The car swerved and kept going. I lifted my bike off the ground ( seemed pretty light with the adrenaline) and tried to start it. It wouldn't so i had to walk it back onto the frontage road. I turned the key off and on and it worked. Got home and the only damage appears to be the left bar end, the clutch cover and the end of the gear shift. It all seems to work fine. Is there anything else I should look out for? Thought I was ok, but I have an egg sized contusion on my right shin. Must have been from dragging it over the bike. I am a new rider having bought my first bike last May ( I am 40 now ). Everyone says its only a matter of when to get into an accident, but wasn't counting on being at fault. I guess it could have happened in a car, but a bike is scarier for sure. Anyways, watch for the cross traffic, especially when vehicles are going 50!

Last edited:

MustGoFaster

Glad it wasn't any worse. Coulda laid down with the bike like I did and have the whole right side of yer hip and leg 14 shades of bruised.

JSP

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear man!

DragonBlu

Glad to hear you are ok man. Watch those bastards closely,they are a big threat while riding. Look the bike over closely when you have calmed a bit more like tomorrow. You may find more damage. Good luck and be careful.

FazerWest

Sorry you laid your bike down just be glad it wasn't worse! I only started riding this month and on my first ride in mild traffic in residentials I was at a stop sign and I looked left & right I saw a car to my right a bicycle to my left but he wasn't at the sign yet so I took my turn and WHAM the bicyclist didn't stop at the sign and was an inch from hitting me!! Ugh so you learn what dangers to look for and I always look twice! So a double head check never hurts! Better safe than sorry and watch for bicycles cause apparently they are exempt to following the rules of the road!

ndfz6r

The thing that sucks is I am usually hyper vigilant at these kind of intersections, but felt a little pressure from all the cars stacking up behind me. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Look out for number one on the road!

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

CrazyCawi

glad you came out okay broskie

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

KeysRider3

Glad you and your bike are okay. I've been riding since 1966, but did essentially the same thing last year while on my Harley. Just consider yourself a wiser, and more experienced rider now!

ndfz6r

Glad you came out ok. If you have frame sliders check the mounting points to make sure the bolts are still snug and not bent.

Bicycles are also exempt from the rules of pedestrians as well, at least in my city. Legally they're a motorized vehicle in (up until recently you could even get a DUI on a bicycle), so they should be off the sidewalks and stopping at stop signs, but they just keep moving at intersections without even looking.
Funny thing is that I ordered frame sliders last week and they were waiting for me on my porch when I got home from work. Just installed them and hopefully I will never have to use them for their intended purpose!

JimmyC

sorry to hear that bro..glad your ok..People suck...my favorite are the people that look right at you hesitate a second then cut you off even though no one is behind you......I just treat every car as they are going to cut you off...Defensive riding with an extra look is never a bad thing!

cloudfire

One thing you might want to check for damage is the handle bars. If your bar ends are scratched it might have bent the bars.

Spunky99

Sorry to hear you scratched up the bike. Consider it a beauty mark ndfz6r.

In CA, that car failed to yield and left the scene of an accident. There was no contact but by leaving the car is nor 100% responsible. Look out for the car and if and when you find him, call the PoPo and have him arrested for hit and run.
See a Dr about that goose egg and get it documents and call the PoPo about the car and give them a description.

He was in a hurry in a congested area and was too aggressive and caused you to go down. It happens and I can't fault him/her but he is required by law at least in CA to stop.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

jmarco

On every open road, you just have to be extra careful. I mean, it would be a great thing to experience when riding on your own but it is really dangerous. From the mere idea of having some random car speed up and hit you, it wouldn't really look that great if you ask me.

You just have to be extra careful with it and think that it would be your life on the line whatever cool look you want to achieve with what you are doing.

A

Anant

It is good that you are safe. Trying to caught the people due to them you met with this incident. Hope all will be right with you.
All the best.
I almost got myself killed today. Still shaken up a bit. My work is on a frontage road with a bunch of other businesses. At 5 o'clock it gets very congested as people all go to the same outlet to then cross a busy four lane artery with 50 mph traffic. I was watching a pickup that was turning right in front of me and thought I could go then. I pull out into traffic and a car was behind the big pickup I didn't see. He slammed on the brakes and I laid my bike down. Wasn't barely moving, but my hand hit the throttle good and it kind of spun on the ground. The car swerved and kept going. I lifted my bike off the ground ( seemed pretty light with the adrenaline) and tried to start it. It wouldn't so i had to walk it back onto the frontage road. I turned the key off and on and it worked. Got home and the only damage appears to be the left bar end, the clutch cover and the end of the gear shift. It all seems to work fine. Is there anything else I should look out for? Thought I was ok, but I have an egg sized contusion on my right shin. Must have been from dragging it over the bike. I am a new rider having bought my first bike last May ( I am 40 now ). Everyone says its only a matter of when to get into an accident, but wasn't counting on being at fault. I guess it could have happened in a car, but a bike is scarier for sure. Anyways, watch for the cross traffic, especially when vehicles are going 50!