Up to 600 Miles?

MikeN02

Need to try and get up to 600 miles soon for my first maintenance. The mechanic told me to stay off Interstates and freeways which are my main roads of transportation to work, and family. Also I have to play with the gear box A LOT and to not stay in the same rpm range so that's been getting tiring as I can't really relax and coast.

Day One I didn't really get enough miles as it was raining hard when I took her home, around 40 miles. Day Two I got to around 112 miles, and today the third day I got to around 180 miles on her.

Any bets on when I'll be able to accomplish this? Those 3 days I didn't have anything to do so I was riding around the city, remembering roads and taking roads I didn't know just to know it better. But now I have work until Super Bowl Sunday.

flyingminno

As long as you're changing up the revs and not shifting too early or too late, interstates are fine. Though you want to try and limit them as much as possible. well considering I hit my 600 mile target in 2 days, I think you can do it.

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

As long as you're changing up the revs and not shifting too early or too late, interstates are fine. Though you want to try and limit them as much as possible. well considering I hit my 600 mile target in 2 days, I think you can do it.
When exactly is the correct RPM range to shift?

flyingminno

When exactly is the correct RPM range to shift?
Well this question ties into how you feel the break-in procedures should be. Ideally you shouldn't push it over 8k for the first 1000 miles, unless for only a brief moment. The main point of break-in periods are to keep from glazing and or damaging the metal or rings, both can and are caused by staying in a fixed, small range of revs for any extended period of time. So thats where shifting at different revs helps, for example: shift into second at 3k rpm, then hold out to third until around 5k rpm, and keep changing around it for each gear. So there isn't really an exact rpm to up-shift as long as its a wide range of revs and doesn't over use the same rpm for each gear. Did that make sense?

MikeN02

Well this question ties into how you feel the break-in procedures should be. Ideally you shouldn't push it over 8k for the first 1000 miles, unless for only a brief moment. The main point of break-in periods are to keep from glazing and or damaging the metal or rings, both can and are caused by staying in a fixed, small range of revs for any extended period of time. So thats where shifting at different revs helps, for example: shift into second at 3k rpm, then hold out to third until around 5k rpm, and keep changing around it for each gear. So there isn't really an exact rpm to up-shift as long as its a wide range of revs and doesn't over use the same rpm for each gear. Did that make sense?
Yep, Will try this now. Also should I be doing the same for downshifting?

flyingminno

Yep, Will try this now. Also should I be doing the same for downshifting?
Well down shifting puts different stresses on the engine, so you should down shift normally and use engine breaking. The part where down shifting plays is to just change up the revs if you have to sustain a fixed speed, say on the freeway, you could down shift a couple times the wait the up shift and continue.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

MikeN02

FINALLY! I just got it done last night and had my first service bright and early at 9 AM when they open.

MikeN02

Sounds about right. $220, though I had a $10 coupon off my next service.

I'm young and haven't been around bikes/engines long enough to do these things myself so I let them do my first service. Oil changes and the pretty easy stuff I'm going to start learning to do myself since I'm out of money. But valve adjustments etc I'll bring it in.

elishatarvin

just hit my break in period today. and took her into the shop already. i didnt think too much about the rpms i just made sure it was never a constant run at lets say 5k rpm. i would constantly shift just to give it from 2k-7k rpm but i do admit a few times i did gun it on the highway and reach 9-10k. and i did practice wheeliesfor about 30 mintues one day and was constantly reving it to about 10k for brief periods of time (i did pop my first wheelie ever though...it felt real good). my brother-in-law (who is a huge bike fan and rider) told me he read of a guy who builds all sorts of motorcycles for a living and he breaks them in the opposite. he guns them and revs them way up all the time. i think this is one of those topics like clear or tinted visor

eashleighv9

I got mine two months ago, it was raining a lot , so I could not ride much. I am following the instrucctions in the owners manual regarding break-in, I avoid prolonged operation above 5800 rpm, when i get 1000 km I will take it for service. So far I have 600 km, I travel to work 53kms each way, when it does not rain, and I use the highway at 100kms per hour for about 25-30 minutes on 6th gear.I also done shorts trips around town.
Anything wrong with that?Thanks from down under.

JSP

Super Moderator
How much did cost the service?

They can vary from $100 up to $300 I have seen. Its just an oil change pretty much and they "look" over the bike. Highly recommend doing the stuff yourself. You get to know your bike and its SOOOO much cheaper. :thumbup:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

danieljardim

What he said. If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, you'll save yourself a ton of money in the long run, plus it's not as dirty/complex/difficult as working on a car. Everything is easier to reach, usually pretty clean (at least if you're like me and keep it that way), and you've got a kick ass forum which already has the answers on how to do it, or can find you the answer you need.
I have no problem doing an oil change myself. I'm just concerned about all the "make sure all the bolts are tight" thing, since they said "bike came all in pieces from japan, we had to assemble the whole thing".

JSP

Super Moderator
I have no problem doing an oil change myself. I'm just concerned about all the "make sure all the bolts are tight" thing, since they said "bike came all in pieces from japan, we had to assemble the whole thing".
If you think they will even actually do that. I've been lied to so many times be dealers about what they claim they do. I can bet they will just change your oil, and thats it.

If you have a standard tool kit/allen set, you can go over the whole bike yourself too and check the bolts.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member