Type of Fuel

arkkornkid

dealer recommended that i use 91, so i've been using that.

not sure about how our motorcycles work, but i do know that for cars it takes a few fill-up cycles for the engine management system to become aware that you've changed octanes in order for it to adjust/ optimize the performance to the octane rating of gas you're using.

so, ppl who randomly decide to fill up with 100 octane thinking they're going to track day, really won't get a performance boost the day of- because the car still thinks you're running on lower octane until after a few cycles- probably 2 or 3 fill-ups... at least that is my understanding....
I've had mechanics tell me the same thing "run the good stuff", but what they don't tell you is it's mainly because of bad gas, ie. non-top tier stations: They're 87 octane is crap, but the "premium" has more detergents. So, if your find yourself having to fill up with questionable fuel: you'd be better off with the 91/93 octane.

and you're right.... running the race fuel in a fuel injected car isn't really worth it, unless of course the person has a selectable tune ecu.