Type of Fuel

MikeN02

What type of Fuel do you guys use? Personally I use Premium 93 or higher. Mechanic told me she runs on any type of gas.

The owner's manual says:
"Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octant number [(R+M)/2] of 86 OR Higher, or a research octane number of 91 or Higher."

flyingminno

In my tank right now I've got 89, and I can't tell the difference at freeway speeds. At high revs though I notice the difference, so for the mountain runs I use 91.

Yone

Chevron 92 octane

Superfly

I've never run any fuel other than brand named 87 regular unleaded. Bike runs perfect even at 100C engine temps in traffic...no probs at all.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Superfly

I'd run higher octane if it was required by the tune of the engine. But its not and from what I read on other forums running higher than required octane is actually hard on emissions systems as well as your wallet....

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Superfly

I wouldn't say its harder on the wallet. You figure the difference between 87 & 91 is probably around $.20-$.30/gal...at most you'd probably add 3-4 gallons per fill up. That's maybe a $1-$1.50 more, that's hardly breaking the bank, at least to me anyway.
no for sure its not alot of money...I take it youre running 91 and not like the 87 you posted earlier?:surrender:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

fz6rwolf

Regular 87 and once in awhile throw some premium in, runs fine on regular.

DjOrchie

My Father is a mechanical engineer and I got into a long discussion with him about this. As long as you aren't getting any engine knock, 87 is fine and there is no point in putting higher octane gas in. Higher octane gas just allows you to compress it more in the cylinder without getting pre mature ignition from the fuel. Higher compression means more power from the ignition. So as long as you aren't getting any engine knock (pre ignition of the fuel), no point in putting in higher octane as the compression in your cylinders is happening just fine. Our cylinders are set to a pre existing level of compression, putting in gas that is able to be compressed to a higher rate is just pointless.

bjpinub

Filled my tank up for the first time yesterday (4/6/10). I put in 87 octane (2.6 gallons @ $2.699/gallon = $7.00). Given I am still getting into riding, I may take some people's advice and use high octane every now and then (maybe every 2-3 fill ups)... Just wish I could have provided more help.

Since I am already here, what kind of MPG is people getting? I know there is probably another forum for this, but thought I would ask. On my first tank of fuel, I drove 110 miles and put about 2.59 gallons in the tank, for about 42.5 MPG. I hope this is about average and not below average.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Superfly

My Father is a mechanical engineer and I got into a long discussion with him about this. As long as you aren't getting any engine knock, 87 is fine and there is no point in putting higher octane gas in. Higher octane gas just allows you to compress it more in the cylinder without getting pre mature ignition from the fuel. Higher compression means more power from the ignition. So as long as you aren't getting any engine knock (pre ignition of the fuel), no point in putting in higher octane as the compression in your cylinders is happening just fine. Our cylinders are set to a pre existing level of compression, putting in gas that is able to be compressed to a higher rate is just pointless.
+1 you're exactly right on :D

Besides...its what the manual says...87 all the way:cool:

tractorboy

arkkornkid

As said, our bikes our tuned for 87, so you get no benefit of running the higher stuff.

What's really important is the brand you put in... Top Tier only:
Top Tier Gasoline ... you might notice what's NOT on this list: Exxon, BP, Amoco

Personally, I use Shell in everything I drive/ride

Last edited:

WarEagle07

I have tried regular, mid and premium and I cant tell the difference at all.

DjOrchie

As said, our bikes our tuned for 87, so you get no benefit of running the higher stuff.

What's really important is the brand you put in... Top Tier only:
Top Tier Gasoline

Personally, I use Shell in everything I drive/ride
+1 here, agree completely, poor quality gas can have a seriously negative effect on your engine. I use Chevron or Petro Canada.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

dealer recommended that i use 91, so i've been using that.

not sure about how our motorcycles work, but i do know that for cars it takes a few fill-up cycles for the engine management system to become aware that you've changed octanes in order for it to adjust/ optimize the performance to the octane rating of gas you're using.

so, ppl who randomly decide to fill up with 100 octane thinking they're going to track day, really won't get a performance boost the day of- because the car still thinks you're running on lower octane until after a few cycles- probably 2 or 3 fill-ups... at least that is my understanding....

Last edited: